Boatleather Wheel Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I added something to my boat recently that significantly changed my comfort during winter boating. I first got a chance to try it out last week and was very pleased.

Our lower helm's stainless steel wheel is very cold during winter months so I have normally worn light gloves to pilot the boat. As a retirement gift, my fellow pilots bought me a foam padded, custom fitted leather wheel wrap for my boat. I installed is a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the product's quality and the level of comfort it added to winter ops.

I had some questions about ordering the right size and process of lacing the new cover onto my helm. I called the owner, Tom, and he was great to work with, providing me all the help I needed. Other than being a satisfied customer, I have no affiliation with this company.

Now that the wheel looks so nice, the chipped black ring of the wheel pilot really stands out, so I'll be repainting that soon.

Before:

img_128104_0_a15396f05694a62d08832529bfb2647c.jpg

After:

img_128104_1_c302528cda46b1f1b631c41566b44c3e.jpg

I thought others might find this product as helpful as I did.

Boat Leather, Leather Products for the Marine Environment

Now you have a giant bratwurst as a helm. :eek:)

Very nice. We've always had a cover on the wheel when we were blow boaters.

Al, I touched your wheel at the Pittsburg rendezvous. (Ooohh) ... Custom made, huh? So where does one get a wheel wrap like yours?

Hmmm. Double sinks.... Good place for us to all wash dishes.

Boatleather.com. The link is in the original post.

Winter sailing in the SF Bay/Delta. Sister and her friend. Still don't understand why people wear shorts during the winter here.

img_128155_0_59b1404d6579538a98fe4de01598ca33.jpg

Last edited:
Al, how difficult was it to hand stitch/install the leather cover? Weren't detailed/adequate instructions provided?

One of my fellow-workers' retirement gift to me. Railroad engineer/driver for a day.

232323232%7Ffp53433%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32384593%3C23%3A7nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp533%3C%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32384593%3C23%3A8nu0mrj

(This steam locomotive, known as a Shay, has three engines/cylinders. At one point, the female trainee-fireman managed to exceed maximum boiler pressure resulting in a sudden release of steam, not caught in a photograph.)

Last edited:
Al, It looks like it may be a classic (woody?) moored beside you in the original post. Do you know what it is?

Al, sorry I forgot to mention that I liked your idea on the wheel, I was thinking of changing to wood for the same reason. Will rethink. Thanks

Hmmm. Double sinks.... Good place for us to all wash dishes.

I'd love to have double sinks! It would make it so much better for my wife.:oops:

Looks like an old Chris to me in the OP.

I have leather too but I put it on my hands as in gloves. While maneuvering in port I poke my finger between 2 spokes and go round and round when desired. Before you ask no I don't have 6 turns L to L ... I have 3.

I considered that but found I like the hand to metal feel when it's reasonably warm. And I like the looks of the SS Destroyer Wheel best.

Attachments

• STH71154 copy.jpg
    STH71154 copy.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 96
Al, how difficult was it to hand stitch/install the leather cover? Weren't detailed/adequate instructions provided?

There's a helpful installation video here. I pulled the wheel and took it home to complete the work. There's a bit of a learning curve to get the hang of it, but then it goes faster. It took about 2-3 hrs.

Al, It looks like it may be a classic (woody?) moored beside you in the original post. Do you know what it is?

Sorry Allan, that picture was taken years ago when I was considering the purchase of FlyWright. At the time, I was smitten and only had eyes for her. I never noticed that beauty in the next slip.

Before and after refinishing with Rustoleum Brightcoat Chrome Metallic Finish Spraypaint:

Love the Engineer for a Day pics, Mark! You look like a natural at the controls. I've driven lots of things in my day, but I've never driven a train.

That would make a great new thread...Most interesting things you've driven. I bet our members have some real stories to tell.

Attachments

• wheel black.jpg
    wheel black.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 84
  • wheel chrome.jpg
    wheel chrome.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 89
A wrapped wheel is great , in cold weather chunks of skin frozen to the wheel will not be a problem!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom