Color your engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's the color of your engine(s)

• red

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • white

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • blue

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • green

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • yellow

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • silver

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • rusty

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • oily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 8 9.4%

• Total voters
Yanmar grey with grey hi-lights!

Attachments

• Yanmar grey.jpg
    Yanmar grey.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 87
My Mitsu is flat black and I had no idea it was unusual.

And it's leaky flat black at that but I think I finally figured out where the leak is.

An interesting aspect and result of this colorful thread is that engine color is far more popular than the Hall of Fame as a lot more guys have responded to this thread as they did to the Hall of Fame thread. Amazing how unimportant it turned out to be.

Volvos are painted green to constantly remind the owners of the exorbitant price of Volvo parts.

Green, I THINK, I'm colour blind?? Let me know if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• 82716a4_20.jpeg
    82716a4_20.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 83
Greetings,
Mr. LaBomba. Yup, looks green to me but it appears to be mounted sideways like the ?what-ever-it-is? in Mr. 45's What's This thread. Nice and clean however.

Greetings,
Mr. LaBomba. Yup, looks green to me but it appears to be mounted sideways like the ?what-ever-it-is? in Mr. 45's What's This thread. Nice and clean however.

Your right, it was quite a job but I got it turned the right way. Look good when they're clean don't they.

Attachments

• 82716a4_20.jpeg
    82716a4_20.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 73
Kubota white.

Attachments

• kubota diesel.JPG
    kubota diesel.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 77
Blue-tiful Perkins Blue. The PO always kept the paint touched up. After almost two and a half years under our ownership, the paint needs to be touched up but they still look good.

I believe Cat paint their marine diesels white and their landside engines Cat beige.

The Cat engines I've seen in their heavy equipment have all been the same yellow color as the equipment. Don't know what color their truck engines are.

Their marine engines are typically white from photos and actual boats with them that I've seen but there are exceptions. For example, the 420hp Cat diesel that Carey had installed in his 36' lobsterboat is Cat yellow, not white.

I'm seeing a common theme here Between you and the 380's Bruce. Sounds to me like somenones in Luuurve hehehe.
iPad Forum Runner
A slightly more affordable dream than an Alaska 46. But with so much time/effort/$ invested in the IG,it will be around a long while. I just had a long chat with the PO 1985-2009 (there was a one year owner, who died, between us), he filled some gaps; and a scare, he once locked up the port engine with a rope entanglement, damaging the engine mounts as well as needing major engine work!

Mine are that 'Perkins Patina' blue that Al (Flywright) so ingeniously described. I wish I would have thought of that. I have thought of touching them up, but I really couldn't decide which color of blue to match. I'm sure the engine paint is original, but in truth the color varies depending on where it is. Fly's Perkins Patina' Mine look darn good considering there 30 year age, but they aren't perfect. Now I'm wondering if they look better being 90% good and original or touched up & forever questionable what they looked like before the touchup.

Attachments

• Picturepage4 006.jpg
    Picturepage4 006.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 131
  • camera dump 18jan12 303.jpg
    camera dump 18jan12 303.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 120
My Yanmar is regular silver, but the old Atomic Four has it's original Antique Gold.

Attachments

• Atomic 4.jpg
    Atomic 4.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 128
Volvo green
132429095.jpg

My Cummins is operating room white and I wear a mask and white gloves when working on it. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 110
Perkins Blue....on the 6.354's.... And the Northern Lights genset is white....

I have a rare red Perkins no idea who or when it was done but they did a good job.

Cat 3208 TA's --white

A slightly more affordable dream than an Alaska 46. But with so much time/effort/$ invested in the IG,it will be around a long while. I just had a long chat with the PO 1985-2009 (there was a one year owner, who died, between us), he filled some gaps; and a scare, he once locked up the port engine with a rope entanglement, damaging the engine mounts as well as needing major engine work!

I'm totally in love with the 330's and 380's. The only thing that stands between us is the $400k+ :-(

I'll try and do my best to replicate it with a dash of Hendo in for safe keeping :)

Original Lehman red. In need of some touch-ups. Does anyone know the appropriate paint to use?

The Cat engines I've seen in their heavy equipment have all been the same yellow color as the equipment. Don't know what color their truck engines are.

Their marine engines are typically white from photos and actual boats with them that I've seen but there are exceptions. For example, the 420hp Cat diesel that Carey had installed in his 36' lobsterboat is Cat yellow, not white.
When I bought Delfin she was empty except for the main and a disconnected, but new genset. The PO said it was white to begin with, but thought the standard CAT yellow looked better, so he painted it before dropping it in.

Attachments

• Big engine.jpg
    Big engine.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 128
Original Lehman red. In need of some touch-ups. Does anyone know the appropriate paint to use?

I used one of the Rust-o-leum reds when I installed a belt guard on the front of the engine. In the perpetual twilight of the engine room it is a good match.

I'm developing a decided inferiority complex due to the condition of some of the engines & engine room photos being posted. Delfin's post certainly does NOT help.

Is there not anyone out there that has an engine or ER so totally delapitdated that they would be ashamed to show it to blind Freddy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom