A new era begins in the Pacific Northwest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a good deal but for one important point. The native tribes are not included in the ban. And while I don't know the situation on the Columbia, in our area something like 80 or 90 percent of the gillnet fishermen are tribal. So while a ban like this looks great on paper, the actual effect on the fish may be considerably less than the press release hype anticipates.

Isn't that the way it always is Marin? The hype is always bigger than reality.

This is a good deal but for one important point. The native tribes are not included in the ban. And while I don't know the situation on the Columbia, in our area something like 80 or 90 percent of the gillnet fishermen are tribal. So while a ban like this looks great on paper, the actual effect on the fish may be considerably less than the press release hype anticipates.

No tribal nets on the lower Columbia, just above Bonneville Dam and up river. I feel they should ban those too.

On the lower part, the 125 gillnetters are distroying sturgeon stock. There is no reason to have a net fishery on the lower river. There are not making a living at it, it's just a hobby. I for one am very happy this has happened. Now if we could only get the tribal hatcheries to clip the adipose fin on all thier hatchery fish. This identfies the fish as hatchery. On most places hatchery fish is all fisherman can keep. We have to release all wild fish, but it would appear they are not all wild.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom