Nature's head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keith- A follow up. Not to be "Picky", up here a deck bucket with a toilet seat utilized within a head room or on deck in the glory of a new dawn day, with a cup of coffee, qualifies as a portable tolilet. At least those so outfitted seemingly pass USCG inspection. Of course, any installed waste equipment must be titled and noted as out of order by sign and phsical restraint. I mean, Keith, when out in my 14 foot wineglass Whitehall skiff, I use a coffee can.
Regards,
A.M.(Al) Johnson-Ketchikan
27' Marben pocket trawler
Installed toilet without MSD
No

Installed toilet with macerator
No
USCG regulations require that all installed toilets have an attached MSD. Macerator does not count.
Installed toilet with Type I MSD*
Yes (But not ok in No Discharge Areas)
Ok on boats <65'. Discharge is <1000 per 100 milliliters of fecal coliform bacteria with no visibly identifiable floating solids.
Installed toilet with Type II MSD**
Yes (But not ok in No Discharge Areas)
Ok on any size boat. found on larger boats because of electricity and space requirements. Discharge is <200 per 100 milliliters of fecal coliform bacteria with <150 milligrams of suspended solids per liter.
Installed toilet with Type III MSD**
Yes
Keeps waste out of water by using a holding tank. Discharge at onshore pumpout facility or via "Y" valve while more than 3 miles offshore in the ocean.
Portable toilet
Legal on any boat.*
Does not fall under USCG regulations of MSD's.
No installed toilet
Yes
Remember No Discharge Area rules.

I know the regs. You still can't dump it overboard.

Okay Keith, You win.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If the old man is to old he will just kill you."

A.M.(Al) Johnson
27' Marben pocket trawler

.......Now. allow me to confirm that Riwdman stated. Yes, you can poop/pee in a deck bucket and throw it overboard, that is completely legal..............

That is not what I said, I said the opposite. Once the waste is put into a container or device, that container or device becomes an MSD and subject to regulation.

It's legal to pee or poop directly from your body into the seawater, but not if you put it into a bucket before dumping it.

This doesn't make a lot of sense of course, but that's the law.

Greetings,
Mr. rwidman. Well, it makes sense to me. It's just another tree hugging, lefty law to protect the poor, welfare collecting lay-a-bout who doesn't have a pot to pee in!

Original composting toilet?
outhouse.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. rwidman. Well, it makes sense to me. It's just another tree hugging, lefty law to protect the poor, welfare collecting lay-a-bout who doesn't have a pot to pee in!

No, it's not a "tree hugging, lefty law", it's to protect the waterways. We don't want the QE II dumping its holding tanks in the local harbor or off the beach.

The problem is, it's a "one size fits all" type of law and applies if you have one passenger or one thousand passengers.

Many folks I know just empty their holding tanks on the way back up the river to the marina. It's one of those "It's not illegal if you don't get caught" things.

outhouse.jpg

I built one of those for my wedding reception thirty years ago. My wife's parents lived on a small farm and we had the reception there. They didn't have the well capacity for a large crowd and didn't want them running in and out of the house.

They liked it so well they and their friends moved it from farm to farm for picnics, pig roasts, etc. My sister in law is still using it for a chicken coop.

Nope, that's illegal. Once it's contained, like in a bucket, it's illegal to dump overboard.

So don't contain it then and just use the open ended bucket to direct the deposit away from the boat?

I wonder if it would be possible to equipt a vessel in away that would meet every reginal standard?

Here you go. Just hang a toilet seat over the rail... Portable toilet for the outdoorsman.

:rofl::).....I wonder, I've been boating for a gazillion years in all kinds of vessels up to about 60 feet and when nature calls one takes care of the issue. In the old days we just sat on the taft rail and went if we missed we washed er off with a bucket of seawater. Now i know that in todays world no one ever does anything like that....Right?

Toilet seat???...aqn unheard of luxury...If God wanted us to use toilet seats we would have been born with one plastered to our.....:whistling:

My wife and I boat for the fun of it, not just to get someplace. For us, having the "luxury" of a real head with a real seat is something we can afford and would not do without.

I wonder if it would be possible to equipt a vessel in away that would meet every reginal standard?
user_offline.gif

Probably not , in the FL Keys your anchor touching the bottom is a violation.

....... I wonder if it would be possible to equipt a vessel in away that would meet every reginal standard?

Worldwide or just the USA?

I think most new production boats would meet all standards except grey water containment that's required in a few places in the USA. It can be added or ordered with many new boats.

My wife and I boat for the fun of it, not just to get someplace. For us, having the "luxury" of a real head with a real seat is something we can afford and would not do without.

Ron, u got it in a nut shell. Just to be on the water in a nice secluded spot is enough for me and a toilet seat is not essentil. I always take care in the disposal of any waste so as not to be a problem to nature or others.
I love the water and i can't even swim!:thumb:

Originally Posted by rwidman

Ron, u got it in a nut shell. Just to be on the water in a nice secluded spot is enough for me and a toilet seat is not essentil. I always take care in the disposal of any waste so as not to be a problem to nature or others.
I love the water and i can't even swim!:thumb:

I don't think you understood my post. For me and my wife a toilet seat (and a toilet) is something we want and can afford. No, it is not "essentil", but being able to go to the bathroom like we would at home or at a friend's house makes our boat more enjoyable.

poop deck

This is the most hilarious link:rofl: I've read for a long time ....... If a bear shits in the woods, Orcas **** in the sea,camels **** in the desert,penguins **** on the ice,goats **** on the ground,Japanese **** in buckets and us it to fertilize.......Victoria b.c. sewage flows into the Ocean .......... boaters must crap in a container of some kind and let someone else dump it in the Ocean........ don't quite understand the logic particularly in the PNW.... makes a little more sense in warm shallow water.... OMG ...... I want to move to Queen Charlotte Islands(oops!!) jp

.......... boaters must crap in a container of some kind and let someone else dump it in the Ocean........

Read my post #67 above.

But no, you don't have to crap in a container of some kind. You can crap directly into the ocean without a container. Crap in a container and the container becomes an MSD and is regulated.

Back
Top Bottom