Color your engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's the color of your engine(s)

• red

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • white

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • blue

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • green

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • yellow

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • silver

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • rusty

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • oily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 8 9.4%

• Total voters

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
What's the color of your boat's engine(s). My John Deere is white. Thought it would be green.

Gardner grey with polished Al rocker covers and side plates.
Benn

Go fast red, apparently they also come in green.

Attachments

• 211.jpg
    211.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 90
What's the color of your boat's engine(s). My John Deere is white. Thought it would be green.

Deere paints their Agricultural equipment green,
their Industrial equipment; crawlers, generators, exavators, scrapers, etc yellow
Marine engines White.
Steve W

My boat's engine is a Cummins is painted white

Alpine Green, aka Detroit Green even though they are FL120s.

Gold. In color only.

Lehman 120's.

Last edited:
Interesting question.
In our current boat search, we've seen a variety of colours for purportedly the same engines - Cats are either white or orange, cummins are usually white, Perkins usually blue, Lehmans bright red, Volvos usually green, etc. But mostly we see either a lot of grunge or bright colors on the engines and even the attached hoses...

Maybe a bit of a sidebar, but if the engines are of a certain age, the colour may be whatever came out of the spray can.

Blue with what I call "Perkins Patina".

Attachments

• DSCF0078.jpg
    DSCF0078.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 89
The Integrity 380 I saw recently had a white John Deere.
FlyWright,what is "Perkins Patina"? A fine smear of blow by gases?
RTF`s 2 tone finish of red and white is impressive.
Is there a prize for the best color scheme? Is there an opening here for engine decorators?
I drove a rally car for a friend who also navigated. He was always repainting stuff in the engine bay in metallic gloss finishes, I was keener on getting the car dirty in forests and trying to keep it right side up.

35 years of aging, fading, chips, slight oil film in spots and just the right amount of ferrous oxide to give it charm.

Well currently is rusty reddish brownish with a hint of black but soon to be in the ranks of Perkins blue when we've finished rebuilding her

iPad Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-443669346.jpg
    image-443669346.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1176185109.jpg
    image-1176185109.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 83
"IF Detroit made bricks , they would be Green , and leak oil!"

The Integrity 380 I saw recently had a white John Deere.
RTF`s 2 tone finish of red and white is impressive.
Is there a prize for the best color scheme? Is there an opening here for engine decorators?
I drove a rally car for a friend who also navigated. He was always repainting stuff in the engine bay in metallic gloss finishes, I was keener on getting the car dirty in forests and trying to keep it right side up.

I'm seeing a common theme here Between you and the 380's Bruce. Sounds to me like somenones in Luuurve hehehe.

iPad Forum Runner

Yanmar metallic gray!

I'm going for the rusty color and leaks oil

White and tight.

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 80
DD green for both the 671 and the Perkins gen set. The DD green also sort of matches the green zinc primer that I use to protect metal. Not knowing better we also color coordinated the engine room with matching green carpeting. Its beer 15+ years so the carpeting is getting a little dirty/stained but I vacuum and dust every month. :D

Attachments

• engine room.jpg
    engine room.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 90
Funny story -- my boat was built with a Detroit Diesel, painted Detroit Green. The original owner, Joe Coberley, was good friends with Bill Shepherd, a Cat dealer in southern California. Bill owned a similar boat but with a Cat diesel, of course, and he was forever ragging Joe about how crappy the Detroit was. Finally one day Joe decided to really big Bill, and he painted the engine Cat yellow, which it remains to this day.

Funny story -- my boat was built with a Detroit Diesel, painted Detroit Green. The original owner, Joe Coberley, was good friends with Bill Shepherd, a Cat dealer in southern California. Bill owned a similar boat but with a Cat diesel, of course, and he was forever ragging Joe about how crappy the Detroit was. Finally one day Joe decided to really big Bill, and he painted the engine Cat yellow, which it remains to this day.

Attachments

• DSCF1436-1_small.jpg
    DSCF1436-1_small.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 97
Original and classic red but that chrome valve cover on Larry_M's engine is calling to me.
img_127692_0_a86987f80b80430824089934fc779897.jpg

Perkins Blue, though I use the Ford Blue for touch up.

Attachments

• Photo_072706_001.jpg
    Photo_072706_001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom