Winter Improvement Projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be installing a toilet rebuild kit as well, and finally taking the time to really clean and paint the engine room.

We are looking for a 40'ish footer, semi-displacement aft cabin cruiser. Quite a step up in cruising comfort and a change of pace for us. I think I'll enjoy the view at a slower speed.

I dunno...... Once one is used to going fast it's reeeeaaaaalllly boring to have to go slow. Imagine this scenario---- you are heading for Fossil Bay on Sucia for a long weekend. There are two docks and perhaps fifteen mooring buoys. It's really convenient to use a dock or a mooring buoy in there as opposed to anchoring. You know it's a popular spot but you think you might have a chance.

But as you creep toward Sucia you see other, faster boats headed the same way. And you KNOW the place is filling up and that last guy you see heading toward the bay at twice your speed is going to snag the last buoy. And there's nothing you can do about it but plod along at 8 knots or so and watch.

See, when we were going to Sucia a lot we had an ace up our sleeve. We usually joined up with Carey over there since we were all good friends with the family who used to live there. Back then--- through the 2000s--- fuel wasn't so expensive so Carey ran his lobsterboat at 15 knots. So he'd get there WAY before us and secure a good spot at the dock. So it didn't matter how slow we were or how many boats got to the bay before we did, we knew we could raft to them if all the dock space and buoys were taken.

Slow sucks.

Last edited:
Edelweiss, Thanks for the crab season heads up

-------------------------------
You are welcome, but be sure and check the WDFW website, it's not in all areas.

Waters reopening to sport crabbing Oct. 13 at 8 a.m. include marine areas 4 (Neah Bay), 5 (Sekiu), 6 (eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca), 7 (San Juan Islands), 8-1 (Deception Pass, Hope Island, and Skagit Bay), 8-2 (Port Susan and Port Gardner), 9 (Admiralty Inlet), 12 (Hood Canal), and 13 (South Puget Sound).

In each area, crabbing will be allowed seven days a week through Dec. 31.

Sport crabbing will not reopen this year in marine areas 10 (Seattle/Bremerton Area) and 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island). The annual quotas in those areas were reached during the summer fishery

"It's really convenient to use a dock or a mooring buoy in there as opposed to anchoring."

How? Why? Is it different from normal anchoring? Done every night?

Is there a requirement too pay $20 to $150 for a O'nite stop?

"It's really convenient to use a dock or a mooring buoy in there as opposed to anchoring."

How? Why? Is it different from normal anchoring? Done every night?

Is there a requirement too pay $20 to $150 for a O'nite stop?

The bay is narrow with two long rows of mooring buoys down about half its length. When the buoys are all taken there is not a lot of room left for anchoring unless one goes out beyond the rows of buoys. Boats do anchor in here--- the holding is quite good--- but unless the bay is fairly empty of boats one is forced to use a very short scope. And if the wind picks up--- which it can and does--- dragging is a not-uncommon occurrence because the anchored boats are on such short scope. Like two and three to one judging by amount of rode they let out.

A marine park mooring buoy is (I think) $10 a night (no charge for day use). The docks used to be $15 a night but due to the state being broke like every other state I believe the dock fee is now based on boat length with a minimum charge.

You can also buy an annual marine park pass which for a 36' boat is about $120. We usually do this and if one uses the marine parks fairly frequently throughout the year as we used to do it doesn't take too many two and three night stays at a dock or on a buoy to pay for the pass at which point the rest of one's stays are free.

Just finishing up one of my winter projects. This is a SIG diesel stove that is going to be a great addition to the boat. There is 1/4" Hardi backerboard with a 1/2" air space between it and the wall, than tile over that. We had a fuel tank under the seating in the wheel house that had never been used so I plumbed into that, and since it is about two feet higher than the stove, gravity feeds the fuel. There is a small 12 volt fan under the heater to help with the draft if needed. So far it is really working great. Just can't get it turned down enough right now because it has been so mild outside. The real test will be when the temperature drops down in the teens. Now I can get back to the engine room refurbish.

Attachments

• DSC_0002_01.jpg
    DSC_0002_01.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 103
Since our 2 weeks in the yard for bottom paint has turned into 6-8 weeks for some blister repair...our winter projects have gotten moved into what should be fall gunkholing.

This is what the list looks like now:
**Refinish salon floors. We brought home all of the engine room hatches to refinish here at home. Then we will just have the perimeter to do "on" the boat.
**Replace bathroom sink and countertop. I made a cardboard template today. We're thinking solid surface corian from Lowes with the sink bowl and counter all one piece.
**Rebuild salon "sofa". We bought a 99.00 Target futon for a salon sofa. It's perfect for the space, except it's uncomfortable and too short. So I'm going to reupholster and make it comfy, and we're going to raise it a few inches and put drawers under it for more storage.
**Hopefully we'll have time to remove the old yellow walls and replace those, as well as move the towel cabinet and get some mirrors that normal size people can see in. I can use all of them. Tom can only see from his bellybutton. :D
**New carpet for the stateroom. Easy Breezy.

Finished my 6 month long pilothouse job with a new outer skin. Installed conduit with lots of wire and chases going everywhere before pouring the foam so shes ready to pull wires for any new electronics, lighting or whatever. Everything except solar panels will be moved to the mast. Did aftercooler, trans cooler and oil cooler. Now sealing deck and rebedding pulpit and fittings. Windows next, then in the Spring, maybe a new electronics suite. Money, money, money.

This is a SIG diesel stove that is going to be a great addition to the boat.

You bet!,, your boat is fairly large so some added circulation might help.

The top of the furnace is warm enough to power one of those fans that run on heat.

Also finding a pot that will fit on the top is great for slow cooking or ???

Our Dickinson at low keeps about 200F , so hot water for beverages is always ready.

Last edited:
Hey Edelweiss, how do you keep from freezing up during a northeaster? I'm nervous this year about the plumbing on the new boat. Old boat everything was below waterline and easy to bleed lines to sink.

Sorry, forgot to add this winter my plan is to work all the survey issues out. But one of the first things brought over from old boat was bar fixens, since then I'm easily distracted.

Add dinette

Winter project (last winter) dinette in place of pull-out settee / berth.

Attachments

• dine7.jpg
    dine7.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 90
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 95
Thanks Larry. Tried to make it look "old school". Forgot to mention '62 Willard 36 Sedan and that table is removable, replaced by plywood, and makes a double berth so I really lost nothing and gained 8 drawers as well. Better in a seaway too.

Thanks Larry. Tried to make it look "old school". Forgot to mention '62 Willard 36 Sedan and that table is removable, replaced by plywood, and makes a double berth so I really lost nothing and gained 8 drawers as well. Better in a seaway too.

VERY impressive. looks original and very nice!!

Poop Piping. I'll spare you the photos.

images

Winter project

COLD BEER! We have cruised the Chesapeake for threes year. During the hot summers we reload the bridge cooler every other day. The admiral doesn't like to run up and down to reload the wine. I debated putting an ice maker in the boat but eventually came up with this project to resolve the issue. Its still is process and I will provide a picture of the final product. It doubles as a seat and a table on the bridge. Its made of Mahogany and African rose wood coated with three coats of West System thus far. The cooler is a CF 110 Dometic.

Attachments

• SDC11954.jpg
    SDC11954.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 107
  • SDC11955.jpg
    SDC11955.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 100
  • SDC11956.jpg
    SDC11956.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 100
No winter projects up here, too cold, but in the spring I will be installing a bow thruster, redoing the bright work and installing a larger compartment door on the aft bridge.

GetAttachment.aspx

Lets see:

1) Installing Aetna tachs on the flybridge.
2) Installing tank monitors (potable and black).
3) Hopefully sourcing and installing a diesel furnace (air heater).
4) Changing the anchor.
5) Completing the LED changeover.
6) interface the AP with the Raymarine network.

Possibles:
Inverter/charger install, sat TV install, and a floor refurbishment.

Busy winter for sure!

FW, hope things are good..
where to start? well for starters my diver told me the bottom paint looks really good which means I dont have to pull her out for paint. SWEET.
i am going to pull out and work over both heatexchangers, flush the cooling system and new coolant.
smaller projects include new carpet or rubber flooring in the salon as well as new upholstery... yikes.
the rib dinghy have been pulled, working on sanding, repair and paint.
ofcourse this is southern california so technically i dont know if that qualifies as off season...

I'm almost embarrassed ... all I'm doing is removing the broken trash compactor and replacing it with a slide out trash can and cherry door that matches the rest of the cabinets.

Dave

I have a cabinet knob that needs to be tightened.

We refinished the floors but will add two more coats before we call it done.
Matt got surround sound for Christmas so we have speaker wire to run.
We broke the TV antenna so are installing a new one (please no lectures on watching TV on the boat).
If ideal ever sends me my new wildcat I'll install it. I should prob remind Cliffe at ideal that he has my chain sample. :)
I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stuff. Never ends but that's ok.

Don, I'm still researching the ABYC requirements. I remember righty tighty, lefty loosey, but after last year, it's all a blur. :facepalm:

PG, I'd include "Install door on head". :eek:

What surround system did Matt get? Do you have a "UFO" or saucer-type 12V powered TV antenna? Ours is pictured here, aft of the radome.

img_127546_0_776b26c5203e59be4729b240b573aa89.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice detailing there on your boat, FlyWright.

Here's my short list of winter projects underway as we speak in Stuart, FL

-Replace section of Teak Parquet flooring in Stateroom
-Haul-out, rudder seal, shaft seal, shaft and prop balance, power wash, maybe add a coat of Trinidad if no other issues.
-Replace leaking salon slider windows
-Replace side and rear pilothouse slider windows
-Teak trim-out of pilothouse
-Install helm chair (bought new Stidd take-out)
-Finish stanchions, seal deck, coat with ??
-Select new electronic suite at Miami Boat Show, install
-Resolve all other issues that will probably distract me from all the above.
-Shoot self when seeing the cost.
All this to prepare for full time cruising in Summer 2013.

Last edited:
Thanks, HH.

Oh ya, I forgot I just finished wiping down the inside of my dingy. Here's an action shot.

img_127576_0_21928f688d850a2da9d671cce85bb084.jpg

HAHAHAHA.... Looks like your dinghy landed in the Wicked Witch of the West!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom