what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone just received the honor of being first on my ignore list.

Mark, that looks like a sea chest. It is a great way to get the intakes where they can be serviced from inside the boat. Does this one have a strainer integrated into it, or are the strainers down stream of the sea cocks?

The top of the strainer is visible through the window. There is also a grill on the hull intake.

If that is of the boat you are considering,and you still are, (does it really warrant survey?), prioritize hull survey.

How does above the waterline have anything to do with overflowing with the top off? Don't you close the seacock when you open it anyway? I am really not understanding at all the need to EVER have it up high.

At first glance it looks to be a horizontally-mounted sea strainer of the type commonly used on an engine's raw water intake. Unless your photo is rotated 90 degrees, I'm surprised to see one of these --- if that's what it is--- mounted sideways.

Normally they are mounted vertically so the top can be removed to pull out and clean the strainer that is inside. That way the water in the filter body doesn't spill out into the bilge.

The typical construction of these filters--- one of the better manufacturers being Groco which is the type we have--- has bronze ends with a heavy glass body. Four (usually) bronze rods run the length of the filter body and serve to clamp the end caps and the glass body together.

There is a bronze lid or cap on the top that can be removed, on ours with a big central wing nut, to give access to the filter element inside. The metal filter element, usually a long stainless steel "basket," is mounted inside and can be lifted out for routine cleaning.

The filter is intended to capture sand, mud, weed, etc that might find its way up through the intake through-hull and prevent it from getting to the raw water pump on the engine where it could clog the impeller chamber or even damage or break the impeller.

Thanks Marin. I think you may be right. It is mounted just like in the photo on a curved part of the hull forward of the engine and with the long side sideway, not up and down like you describe.

All the corrosion indicates to me its ready to be replaced anyway, is that correct?

It's a sea strainer in really bad shape. I think the photo is on its side, as noted by someone else. I also agree, stay away from this boat, if you are looking to buy.

not on its side thats what kinda threw me for a loop.
Thanks

At first, I thought it was a sea strainer. Then I rotated the picture 180 degrees and noticed the 2 wires. 12V or bonding wires? Could it be that the pic is upside down and is a very poorly mounted and maintained raw water pump?

opps, after reading the first couple of comments i forgot about the wires. Thgis thing when i saw it yelled at me BEWARE THERE ARE PROBLEMS HERE. No it is some kind of welectrical device not just a strainer
And thank you for your observation

Has to be a raw water strainer. Bfloyd, if you're seeking input on this stuff about a boat you're looking at, I would imagine there are HUNDREDS of other issues with the boat. Do you have a surveyor, or anyone else looking at the boat with you that's knowledgeable enough to answer these questions?

hmm.. recalling another post I saw tonight about "Titles" , Bfloyd, you're a Guru in a few months on the site, and I am only a Senior Member after 5 years. I guess I need to get busy posting more stuff....
:)... I tend to talk alot cause i learned as a kid that the only dumb question is one that dosent get asked. And my friend, let me tell you this forum has some of the finest trawler minds in the world as members and i Will personnally defend any of em agaisnt all detractors. Shoot, i will even defend the ones at this forum i butt heads with. I mean they do have issues, but, in my opinion they are still the best.

Ok, but a raw water strainer with electricity?

I have lots of boat experiance and first glance at this thing threw me for a loop.

No it appears to be a Perko Fig. 493 strainer. I relatively pricey strainer at that. However it is needing a little maintenance currently. Along with everything else in the picture.

Is this boat abandoned?

no, as a matter of fact the boat left port sunday for a cruise to Santa Catalina island off the coast of california. As someone else pointed out she has to cross some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.
oh, and she did make it back to port thursday

How does above the waterline have anything to do with overflowing with the top off? Don't you close the seacock when you open it anyway?

I do. Don't know about anyone else, though.

When I say the tops of our filters are above the waterline I mean a fraction of an inch or so. So if the top is off and the seacock was to be opened the water would come up to the very top of the filter bowl give or take wherever the boat is riding at the moment. We've never had to "burp" our sea strainers because even with the seacock closed they are completely full to the top all the time but with no overflow at all when the top is removed.

We also don't get any reverse flow from the raw water components on the engine back to the sea strainer when we take the tops off because of the relative height of the strainers and the raw water components on the engine. The impeller prevents water from the higher main heat exchanger from flowing back, as well. So no overflow from the direction of the engine, either.

But I don't see any potential problem with a sea strainer mounted entirely below the waterline, either. I would not care for a horizontal mounting, however.

opps, after reading the first couple of comments i forgot about the wires. Thgis thing when i saw it yelled at me BEWARE THERE ARE PROBLEMS HERE. No it is some kind of welectrical device not just a strainer
And thank you for your observation

Just to make sure we're on the same sheet of music here...

Are you saying
1. you have been on this boat,
2. are considering purchasing it and
3. don't know if it's a strainer or a pump?

All the corrosion indicates to me its ready to be replaced anyway, is that correct?

Not necessarily. Depends on if the metal is actually corroded and pitted or if all that ugliness is the result of the slow seepage of salt water out from the joints in the thing and the resulting buildup of crap on the outside.

The first thing to determine is if the bronze is still bronze and has not started to turn pink. If it's pink when you scrape or sand the green off a patch on the ends the unit is kaput and needs to be replaced and properly tied into the boat's bonding system. If it's still nice shiny bronze color under the green "patina," the thing may be perfectly serviceable.

If it's a high quality strainer to start with and is bronze and glass with a stainless filter basket it may be a pretty straightforward thing to remove it, disassemble it, clean it thoroughly, and put it back together with new joint gaskets and seals.

Ours don't have the buildup on the outside but they have long since turned green, just like all our bronze seacocks, packing glands, etc.. Pretty hard to keep bronze nice and new and shiny in that environment.

Last edited:
:confused:

H'mmm ... aren't you the same guy who just posted "I've been boating for a gazillion years in all kinds of vessels up to about 60 feet ..."?

So in all those gazillion years on such a range of vessels, you've never seen a sea stainer?

Looks like a troll to me ...

chuckle.... yes i am an yes you are almost correctup to 32 feet. .........did say 60?..If i di i messed up, sorry

all my experiance has been with IO powered boats mostly except for out boards and all in the bays or rivers...well no the chris was a small block chevy but i never looked under the floor. I will be the first to admit my limitations. Do you realize that there are thousands of designs that use jet, outboard or I/O power systems and they are getting more popular every day. I/O power is slick as its easy to repair and goes like....well u know:)
Opps, the "Welcome 2," personnal yatch of president Harding built in i think 1911 and a registered historical monument i did do a bit of work on. She was about to sink and a co worker bought her against my advice and then had to get het to alameda ASAP to be hauled for repairs. We got her there and then we lost contact. I wonder what happened to her? She was a beautiful old fan tailed vessel with a single engine.

It just goes to show that you can do something for years and never understand what you are doing. Some folks are like that.

thats funny...made me laugh. Ron, i worked on engines and did routine maintenence for people. I talk to people like in this forum because i realize my limitations and wish to take advantage of yours!!
thank you sir

Looks the same as mine, without the salt and kooties. Mines laying down too, I haven't tried to clean it out yet, as I can see through the glass it's not clogged.

img_127505_0_eb61b67cdfff7fa049419d26f68f27e0.jpg

Glass? you mean this this has glass? Geez.. what a pretty engine, I thought Fords were blue?

your right. But, I thought i had seen everything till i saw this corroded thing anbd my mind went blank. Two seconds after my cell phone pix posting i realized how dumb......or maybe blind i was. I do thank all for there comments:thumb:

K Sanders said:

"You might consider moving that strainer.On my boat the sea strainers are all mounted so that the top of them is above the water line.

Actually all the boats I've owned were like that. The strainer top has always been above the waterline. Is that a "standard", or is it just my boats."

Why is it a problem to have strainers below the WL? All 4 or mine are below the WL (on a sea chest) as well as engines and genset RW pumps. You have no choice but to have strainers below the WL on boats with deep draft. Working valves make it safe IMHO.

on this boat they are under the floor in the engine room so have to be below the waterline. I think your right, devices like this should be easily accessable and not under the floor in the bilge

Our boat did not have sea strainers when we bought it. We had them installed as soon as the boat came off the truck. Both of them were installed vertically with the tops just above the waterline.

Thats understandable, your boat is a GB built in Taiwan and this boat is a DeFever built in Santa Anna :) California.

All Ford Lehman 120s were red when shipped from Lehman in New Jersey. I'm not sure what color the FL135s were when shipped but I believe they all had a chromed rocker box cover.

There is one exception I know of to the Lehmans-are-red rule. After several years of buying marninzed FL120s directly from Lehman, American Marine building its Grand Banks boats in Singapore decided in the early 1970s that they could save money by buying the Ford of England Dorset diesel directly from Ford in the UK, then buy the Lehman marinization kit from Lehman in New Jersey, and install the marinization kit on the engine(s) on the factory floor in Singapore next to the boat it or they were going into.

Since they had to paint the engines themselves they chose two colors to use. One was a slightly metallic olive green and the other was a sort of yellow-gold. I have seen examples of both and the olive green was actually quite nice. (see photo).

After a few years of doing this they determined that it was actually costing them more to put the Lehman marinization kits on themselves than to simply buy the already-marinized engine from Lehman. So they went back to doing this and the engines in Grand Banks boats became red again.

The FL120s that had the marinization kits installed in Singapore are virtually identical to the FL120s that had the kits installed by Lehman themselves other than the paint color.

The engines in our 1973 GB were originally the olive green as shown in the photo (which is not our boat). This is evidenced by the paint on the engine mount supports and other out of the way spots on the engine. But at some point and for some reason a previous owner decided he didn't like the olive color or it was starting to look bad, and so had both engine repainted in place with Alpine (Detroit) Green. Which I actually quite like.

But if the engines in our boat looked like the one in the photo I wouldn't mind it. I do not care for American Marine's yellow-gold color at all.

Attachments

• FL120 Olive Green.jpg
    FL120 Olive Green.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Thats understandable, your boat is a GB built in Taiwan and this boat is a DeFever built in Santa Anna :) California.

For about the 573rd time, Grand Banks are not, and never have been, built in Taiwan.

American Marine started out building wood boats in Kowloon which is a district of Hong Kong and which is not, last time anyone looked, anywhere near Taiwan nor is it part of Taiwan. Hong Kong was a British colony until it was absorbed by treaty fairly recently back into the People's Republic of China (also not part of Taiwan as they will be quick to tell you although they intend to glom onto Taiwan at a date yet to be revealed).

In the early 1970s American Marine established a much larger yard in Singapore, an independent country also not in or anwhere near Taiwan. The larger yard had room for fiberglass molds so GBs were switched from wood to fiberglass starting in the second half of 1973.

Today Grand Banks operates two yards, the Singapore yard and a newer yard across the Strait in Malaysia, another independent country not in, near, or part of Taiwan. (I don't know if the Singapore yard is still in operation as they do not reference it in their current website.)

So Grand Banks boats are not and never have been part of the genre of diesel cruisers sometimes referred to as "Taiwan Trawlers."

I have seen a lot of strainers mounted sideways...especially by commercial guys...makes them easy to drain for freezing situations and it allows them to be emptied of sand more easily.

I have seen a lot of strainers mounted sideways...especially by commercial guys...makes them easy to drain for freezing situations and it allows them to be emptied of sand more easily.

ahh, so there is reason for this installation....wait, this boat has lived its life in Southern California were the temp never ever drops below 50 F..??

Wait, sand, that may be an issue on the beaches of Mexico where this boat frequents.

Last edited:
All Ford Lehman 120s were red when shipped from Lehman in New Jersey. I'm not sure what color the FL135s were when shipped but I believe they all had a chromed rocker box cover.

There is one exception I know of to the Lehmans-are-red rule. After several years of buying marninzed FL120s directly from Lehman, American Marine building its Grand Banks boats in Singapore decided in the early 1970s that they could save money by buying the Ford of England Dorset diesel directly from Ford in the UK, then buy the Lehman marinization kit from Lehman in New Jersey, and install the marinization kit on the engine(s) on the factory floor in Singapore next to the boat it or they were going into.

Since they had to paint the engines themselves they chose two colors to use. One was a slightly metallic olive green and the other was a sort of yellow-gold. I have seen examples of both and the olive green was actually quite nice. (see photo).

After a few years of doing this they determined that it was actually costing them more to put the Lehman marinization kits on themselves than to simply buy the already-marinized engine from Lehman. So they went back to doing this and the engines in Grand Banks boats became red again.

The FL120s that had the marinization kits installed in Singapore are virtually identical to the FL120s that had the kits installed by Lehman themselves other than the paint color.

The engines in our 1973 GB were originally the olive green as shown in the photo (which is not our boat). This is evidenced by the paint on the engine mount supports and other out of the way spots on the engine. But at some point and for some reason a previous owner decided he didn't like the olive color or it was starting to look bad, and so had both engine repainted in place with Alpine (Detroit) Green. Which I actually quite like.

But if the engines in our boat looked like the one in the photo I wouldn't mind it. I do not care for American Marine's yellow-gold color at all.

My tractor is blue and this defever has a blue engine, Ford blue. Could this mean that this is a Ford engine and not aFord engine marinized by another company?

For about the 573rd time, Grand Banks are not, and never have been, built in Taiwan.

My apology Marin, Homg Kong is not Taiwan...opps, i mean sinapore. SINAPORE! Got it Britt??.....smile...i hope i do

Our Californian has horizontally mounted strainers (Groco's) like this one. The green wire, in our boat is #8 battery cable, is part of the bonding system. Were the unit mine, I'd probably replace the components, the implications of that white powder would make me nervous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom