Waste ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FFishing

Hey guys and girls,

We've been looking into this for a a while now but we run a commercial trawler and we are getting a lot of waste at the end of a trawl, what is everyone doing with it. We've been looking a small scale diesel incinerator, what has everyone else doing / thoughts on this?

Greetings,
Waste in what form? Human waste, by-catch, garbage? I don't know if I understand the question.

MARPOL Annex VI Reg 16 controls the incinerator installation. The MCA has a couple of MSNs that may be worth reading as well.

Americans will find guidance in 46CFR63.25-9.

I had that same issue with my center console. Bags and bags of waste until I found this baby. Now I can put all the waste in a walmart bag.
image_16904.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys and girls,

We've been looking into this for a a while now but we run a commercial trawler and we are getting a lot of waste at the end of a trawl, what is everyone doing with it. We've been looking a small scale diesel incinerator, what has everyone else doing / thoughts on this?

I dump my waste in the waist bin at the marina on my way home.

Yea, if you want good answers you have to ask good questions. Most of us are not mind readers.

We are the wrong sort of "Trawler owners" to be asking, try here
Commercial Fishing - Index

most of us usually carry ours up to the marina dumpster in a kitchen garbage bag.
Steve W

We have a trash compactor in the galley and it's amazing how much compressed trash it takes to fill the bag.

We spent two weeks on board last summer and often had 4-8 people on board. By compacting the trash we didn't have to do the daily 'haul the trash up the dock' exercise. The bag was full at the end of the two weeks but it held two weeks of compressed junk.

The only thing we don't put in the compactor is glass bottles because they don't compress.

IIRC our boat falls below the minimum length the requirement applies to. I could be wrong on this, however, but I think we've looked it up before and an actual waste plan specific to our boat is not required.

We do have the "don't do this" placard on the boat that defines in broad terms the basic handling of waste.

How many have a waste management plan posted on board?

The Coast Guard stopped us last spring. During the inspection, we were told a waste plan was required. I think the requirement starts at 40 feet. They were kind enough to let us write one up while they were there so we did not receive a violation.

The Coast Guard stopped us last spring. During the inspection, we were told a waste plan was required. I think the requirement starts at 40 feet. They were kind enough to let us write one up while they were there so we did not receive a violation.

That is a similar experience to mine. We were out on a Thanksgiving day. It seemed that the Coasties had all their trainees on duty for the holiday. We were hailed and stopped by a crew on one of their inflatables. They were nice guys that came on board with their check list. We had gone through everything, when lastly they asked for a waste management plan. I opened the top step that contains our trash can and showed them a laminated plan for the boat. They were very surprised, and said that this was the first one they had found. They also said that they would not write me up if I didn't have one, but would just inform me about the requirement.

I think Marin is right about the 40' threshold.

Many of the long range boats/trawlers have a trash compactor, condense/throw in the garbage the bulk containers before leaving the dock, raw water wash food off garbage so can be stored, and burn/use what they can. The commercial discard the packing/wrapping at the dock.

I was not aware a waste management was required. I will have to look into this. Can you buy one at the marine stores?

Can you buy one at the marine stores?

I don't know how fancy it needs to be. Here is a sample I found somewhere (my apologies to the original author).

We just wrote out a statement on a piece of notebook paper that nothing would be thrown overboard and everything would be properly disposed of at the dock, signed it, and stuck it in with the boat documentation. That made the Coast Guard happy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 2.37.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 2.37.08 PM.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Many of the long range boats/trawlers have a trash compactor, condense/throw in the garbage the bulk containers before leaving the dock, raw water wash food off garbage so can be stored, and burn/use what they can. The commercial discard the packing/wrapping at the dock.

I was not aware a waste management was required. I will have to look into this. Can you buy one at the marine stores?

Phil, it is pretty simple. I just typed it up and printed it. Then put it in plastic and taped it on the bottom of the step tread that opens the trash compartment. Just say that you will bag trash, store it, and dispose of it on shore. It worked for me.

IIRC our boat falls below the minimum length the requirement applies to. I could be wrong on this, however, but I think we've looked it up before and an actual waste plan specific to our boat is not required.

We do have the "don't do this" placard on the boat that defines in broad terms the basic handling of waste.

Ditto.

On the side of the cabinet, above the propane monitor.

img_127452_0_3359e95c54843eca269fda1e5ad8063e.jpg

West marine has for six bucks.

On the front of the spice cabinet.

Attachments

• Placard.jpg
    Placard.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 99
I have noticed, over the years I have been lurking and posting here, that you North American 'boaties' sure have to comply with a lot of regulations, some of which seem to fall into the plain common-sense basket.

I can understand the need for this if you were operating a boat hire business, but for private boat owners who is this aimed at, your passengers? Are owners of boats over 40' more inherently negligent when it comes to the environment.

FWIW over my 30 odd years of boating some of the worst offenders I've seen are the small hire boats, full of day trippers and their fishing gear, some of which is often left behind in plastic bags.Plastic bags, now that is a real potential environmental villain.

We are a nation of lawyers and lawyers require laws, the more the merrier.

We also have lots of regulatory agencies, and that means they need to be creating regulations otherwise they are not doing their jobs and could be laid off.

The saving grace to all this is that none of this stuff is actually enforced very effectively if at all. So we are the "home of the free" because everyone is pretty much free to ignore whatever regulations and laws they want. The chances of us getting caught doing this are so slim as to make it totally worthwhile to ignore the regulations which are generally obstructive in nature and make it more difficult to do what you want to do.

We've been boarded by the USCG twice. While they were very nice and looked at a lot of stuff, mostly our paperwork, they didn't say a word about the required oil dump placard or the garbage placard or the CO2 placard or the fire extinguisher tags or any of this sort of thing. We happened to have all that but if we hadn't it wouldn't have made any difference.

So yes, we have a lot of regulations but they're mostly to give the people in the regulatory agencies something to do. A jobs program, if you will. If we actually had to obey them it could get annoying and obstructive. But since we don't, it's not a problem even though to someone outside the US all the regulations might appear to be intimidating.

So in my view it's much better to have 10,000 regulations, all of which you can ignore without penalty 99.999 percent of the time than to have 100 regulations that are equally annoying and obstructive but that are enforced all of the time.

In other words, we have the better deal.:)

Boats over 12 meters (40 feet or so) are also required to carry a copy of the COLREGS/NAVRUES...

I presume this means that the catapult we currently use for waste disposal is no longer legal? Ah well.

This site lets you create your own Waste Management Plan:

Waste Management Plan

They have sticky back paper ones for free.

I like to visit and look at stuff as I have a long want/wish list, but I am to cheap, and the old stuff still works. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom