looking for information on.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2bucks

Guru
I'm looking for information on what a growler is. Does anyone know any websites that could explain that for me? Gosh, I just don't know where to look to find information about boats. Or maybe someone could recommend an overpriced, highly opinionated magazine that would help me.

Any ideas?

YTTIC
Ken

OK I'll stick my finger in this light socket....

A growler is a barely submerged iceberg or more commonly a rock or reef that is barely submerged and generally adjacent to deep water.* As a result, you don't get the surf pounding that you get as the bottom comes up.* Instead, you get a "growling" of the water surge.* Especially at night, you might not get any white water but only the mutter of the water surge to warn you.

Well, at least "I" got it, Ken! :0)

Ken
**** You got me with that one. Yes, the first thing to come to my mind was Passagemakers "Growler" because it's the same hull as my boat, but as I often do, I didn't read your post carefully enough before firing back a response.

Keith
**** Thank goodness you piped in or I might never have gotten this one.
************************* Carey

Anybody know why the Passagemaker guy--- who is it, Parlatore or something like that--- chose that name for his wannabe version of Carey's boat?

Ah, you guys made my day. As I started reading the responses I thought, didn't I give them enough information? The YTTIC, Yours Truly, Tongue In Cheek is always my dead giveaway.

No list from our Passagemaker fellow though. I guess I'll have to use a different lure next time.
smile.gif

Now I've got to go look for info on Jim's explanation of growler. I haven't heard of that one before. Is it more common in areas with lots of coral reefs?

Ken

Ken,
It is not a term we use in the reef areas in Australia.
Our common term is "bommie" slightly submerged coral outcrop that is likely to rip your keel out.
Growler I always think of an iceberg or Bill's boat.

Benn

Back
Top Bottom