View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #18
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
.................. After spending much time on upgrades and maintenance we are ready to head out for the first time, not counting bringing the boat home. So what is the proper procedure for getting alongside a fuel dock with twin screws?
I don't see any difference between approaching a fuel dock or any other face dock (assuming the fuel dock in question is a face dock).

I have a single screw inboard and generally, I approach the dock facing into the current, then at the last minute, turn the wheel away from the dock and idle in and hit reverse to stop. At this point, my wife and I can toss lines to whoever is tending the dock.

If there's nobody there to catch the lines, my wife will step off the swim platform with a stern line and I'll toss her the bow line. If I have to, I'll use the bow thruster to swing the bow away from the dock which brings the swim platform against the dock so she can step off. This is where you can use your tin engines to do the same thing.

There are a lot of variables with wind and current so each experience will be a little different. Chapman Piloting covers these situations pretty well and would be a good read for you.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote