Bought a Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the papers are signed, the wire has been sent, the boat is mine.
I should thank Mark Bowerman, for researching the boats I had chosen and giving me his honest opinion and insight into each one.he was incredibly patient, putting up with my calls even when sitting at anchor off the coast of Maine. In the end he helped-in negotiations with the sellers broker to get me a good deal on a great boat.
Thanks Mark

Soundwiz,
Thank you and your welcome. It's my pleasure. It's always a joy to see an old boat get new life and energy pumped into it. May the best part of your life begin today!

Soundwiz,
Thank you and your welcome. It's my pleasure. It's always a joy to see an old boat get new life and energy pumped into it. May the best part of your life begin today!

Daddyo
I'm glad I set aside 20% of the boats price for maintenance and upgrades. It's taken almost that much just to get her seaworthy. Have purchased wash down pumps, rope, 10' Achilles dinghy, flares, life ring, had fire extinguishers inspected, new Standard Horizon VHF installed and had the over head console in the pilot house repaired, fuel tanks painted, morse controls inspected and lubricated, ordered new holding tank and macerator for aft head, had the anchor windlass inspected, filled with lube oil, put a swivel on the anchor, and more.
In my spare time I've been studying the USCGA book Boating Skills and Seamanship along with Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship.
Below is a letter I got from Captain Rob after he took a check ride with me yesterday.

MARINE HORIZONS INCORPORATE
COOL BREEZE CHARTERS
ORANGE BEACH ALABAMA

January 7, 2013

To whom it may concern,

My name is Captain Robert S. Gams. I have had a Master Operators license through the United States Coast Guard for nearly twenty years. Though I am not an instructor, I feel as if I have the experience to ascertain the abilities of individuals in the operation, and maintenance of their vessels.
This letter is to acknowledge the skills and awareness possessed by Mr. David Colvin pertaining to his recent purchase of the vessel “Traveller.”
Recently, I had the opportunity to visit Mr. Colvin and accompany him on a venture into the Gulf of Mexico aboard the "Traveller.” I witnessed Mr. Colvin's diligence in inspecting the vessel before our departure. In fact, Mr. Colvin has a keen awareness of the mechanics, electrical and plumbing through hull and bilge systems on his boat. It is apparent that Mr. Colvin is persistent in his care both in the engine room, bilge and above decks. There is no doubt that the “Traveller” is in tip top shape and will remain so.
In addition, I observed his handling of the boat as Mr. Colvin operated the vessel through the shipping channel, and into the Gulf of Mexico. It is evident after observing Mr. Colvin operate the boat in choppy, confused seas with 4 to 5 foot swells, and back to port. Including a stop at the fuel dock. That Mr. Colvin is aware of the standard rules of the road, docking, as well as basic navigation. In short, Mr. Colvin seems to be a knowledgeable, courteous, safe boat operator, and should be awarded any considerations afforded for such.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks.
Capt. Robert S. Gams
robgams@aol.com
251-942-4389

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Sounds like your much further ahead of the game then many. Way to go!!

Last edited:
River Charts

Mark,
I am planning on moving, the boat from Pensacola to The Demopolis Yacht Basin in early February, or as soon as river conditions settle down. I'm having a problem finding electronic charts for the Tenn-Tom river system for the Polar Navy software. As many of the Loopers use this, I feel that the charts must be available I just can't locate them. I guess I could get there with the Garmin app on my iPad, but would like to have redundancy.
Repairs and upgrades are on going. I have the aft stateroom torn apart in anticipation of the new holding tank arriving on Friday. Monday the new 4kw Raymarine open array pedestal and antenna arrive. I had to have an extension plate made to accommodate the 6ft array.
I'm still waiting on the valves, T's, and manifold to arrive for the new Racor dual 750 fuel filter and polishing system I designed to arrive. I need to finish up soon as I am running out of money and haven't even started on cosmetics.
Lovin Life
Dopp

Back
Top Bottom