Autopilot: Raymarine or Garmin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
So you think you are married to a great woman? I was just encouraged to spend nearly $3000 on an autopilot by Bess. We have been hold off to try and sock a little more cash away, but I have been thwarted by whatever creature that has invaded my wife's body.

Anyhoo, I am tossed up between the Garmin and Raymarine. Prices are nearly equal. Features are nearly equal. Performance has to be nearly equal. Any nudges one way or another?

Tom-

What's your plotter?

Standard Horizon CP390i.
(I know where you are going with this, but TBH, I don't care about following a bunch of waypoints of my plotter. I just currently want it to hold a straight course while I enjoy the scenery.)

I have the Garmin. I love being able to pull the wireless remote out of my pocket and lock a course, dodge a log or clean up a course. Great unit.

If compatibility with a plotter is not an issue then it's probably a toss.
I researched it a bunch before I bought an AP....then I did a 180 degree turn and bought a used/takeout Simrad unit with a new pump from a dealer that I respected. Cost was less than 1/2 the new and it has worked flawlessly...so far.
Google 'Garmin vs Raymarine autopilot' and there's lot to read.

I have the Garmin. I love being able to pull the wireless remote out of my pocket and lock a course, dodge a log or clean up a course. Great unit.

Wait... WHAT?!?! Remote? Hmmm...

.. but TBH, I don't care about following a bunch of waypoints of my plotter. I just currently want it to hold a straight course while I enjoy the scenery.)

I think most would agree with this. I know I do.

IMHO

Furuno hands down. Simrad used to be great, so a rebuilt unit as Anode mentions is my second choice. Either of these will hook up via NMEA 0183 or 2000 to plotting equipment if desired. Ours is a 10 year old Simrad/Robertson and still does its job.

Remember Tom , they all work out of the box new, it is the following years that really matter. Furuno has been there as all the others have merged, been bought by a company out of Brazil, gone broke or won't answer phones. Simrad has gone from very good to "not there" if you need them, in but a brief few years. To be a price leader as Raymarine and Garmin try to be, think about the hidden stuff and not the display. Where and for how many years have they purchased their pumps, controls and heading sensor/compass? During the past two years Raymarine removed their England brain trust and replaced it with a Flir Portland brain trust - maybe that is good.

No matter whose system you use, be sure you can quickly shut down all the Ipad, plotter or other connected stuff you may choose to hook up and run it the fail safe way you want - following a heading only.

I understand... But it's just too expensive. Sorry. We are not likely to keep Skinny Dippin' for more than just a few more years. I just don't want to put that much money into it.

Greetings,
I primarily use autopilot for following a heading. Unfortunately my Wood-Freeman won't follow a way-point course as the technology is too old but I use way-points so infrequently it is not a concern at this time. Even when "Otto" is in charge, lookouts ARE kept and such observation has averted a collision on several occasions.

I think most would agree with this. I know I do.

Going to a waypoint or following a track is where an autopilot really shines IMHO.
Have you looked at the Sitex SP-70? It really does a great job and will leave lots left over. I had a Raymarine in my previous boat and I like the Sitex better.

Have you checked out ComNav? They are built in Canada and are the autopilot of choice for the NW fishing fleet. I have one on my boat.

Ron

Have you checked out ComNav? They are built in Canada and are the autopilot of choice for the NW fishing fleet. I have one on my boat.

Ron

It won't steer me to Alaska, will it? I hate the cold! :rofl:

Going to a waypoint or following a track is where an autopilot really shines IMHO.
Have you looked at the Sitex SP-70? It really does a great job and will leave lots left over. I had a Raymarine in my previous boat and I like the Sitex better.

I found the SP-110:

Si-Tex SP-110 Autopilot System

That's pretty slick. Comes with a pump and $1300 less than the others! I could get a radar dome for my plotter with the savings. Let me see what else Si-Tex has.

The Si-Tex looks like a rebranded ComNav 1440. So it is probably a good one. I've got an 1420 on my boat. Maybe 15 years old. It is easy to adjust, and holds a course really straight. I can still get parts for it, although its never needed parts. Thinking about adding a jog lever though.

Pretty much all the commercial boats use them around here.

Last edited:
I see a lot of 1420's (and 1500's), but no 1440 listed at Defender. Do you know what the differences might be?

Ron

I used to have one on my Mainship Pilot 30 but I don't remember the model number. I do remember, however, that it was so simple to operate that I didn't think it was a real AP! It worked flawlessly!

I have an old Raymarine Autohelm 4000 system. Simple, but works. I know the day will come when I need to upgrade. It uses a motor and attachment to the helm. Do any modern units control the same way?

I do think the Garmin system looks good.

I see a lot of 1420's (and 1500's), but no 1440 listed at Defender. Do you know what the differences might be?

None at all. Looks like Sitex has the exclusive liscencing for North America. Check out the ComNav website. Better yet, give them a call (It's lunch time right now, though), they actually answer the phone.

Here is the ComNav that I think goes with my situation:

ComNav Auto Pilot System For Inboard

And the remote station is only $190 more. I think this is the ticket.

Just so you know what you are getting. The control head is "a remote" in itself as it has about 25' of instrument cable attached to it. It unclips from the holder and you can use it remotely. You drill a hole in the helm and the cable stows neatly away. As far as I know there is no wireless remote for this unit.

Otherwise, it is a great unit.

We have a Raymarine autopilot (X3 and ST70 control heads along with a wireless remote. We went with Raymarine even though we have Garmin chartplotters. We needed a chain drive unit and Garmin did not (and may still not) make one.

The unit itself works great. Despite NMEA0183 and 2000 connections to the chartplotters, it still does not work with some of the functions of the Garmin chartplotters. That said, it does do far more than we need.

We use it most all the time. I steer with my thumb rather than the wheel whenever possible. It has been completely reliable. We had the same basic unit on our previous sailboat and it worked with no problems for a number of years.

It won't steer me to Alaska, will it? I hate the cold!

It has steered me to Alaska once. Maybe could do the same for you. Get a heater.

The model I have is the Commander P2. This was the model recommended by my local distributor. This is the web site:

ComNav

Click on the Commander P2. Can I make it any easier for you? Check out web sites selling it for prices. I bought mine about 5 years ago and have had no problems.

Ron

ComNav :thumb::thumb::thumb: Had our for 15 years, great equipment and the laptop also drives it perfectly. Steers better that we can. Great product!

ComNav 1001 with a remote on the command bridge, it drives the old Wagner pump.

Last edited:
Here is the ComNav that I think goes with my situation:

ComNav Auto Pilot System For Inboard

And the remote station is only $190 more. I think this is the ticket.

Be sure of the cylinder size of your ram. You do not want to oversize the pump by very much. It will overshoot on correction and constantly run. The Octopus pump is slightly adjustable. You will be very happy with the 1420 and should have no trouble installing yourself. If you do call them. Chances are you will get Shafiq as the tech. He designed it and owns the place.

Be sure of the cylinder size of your ram. You do not want to oversize the pump by very much. It will overshoot on correction and constantly run. The Octopus pump is slightly adjustable. You will be very happy with the 1420 and should have no trouble installing yourself. If you do call them. Chances are you will get Shafiq as the tech. He designed it and owns the place.

10.2 c.i.d. :socool:

One thing I don't see on the Si-Tex units is a remote head unit to put at the lower helm. Am I missing it?
The ComNav has them for only $190 at Defender.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom