Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matt'
When you secure the fuel tank(s?), be sure to place some sort of non absorbent strips under the tanks and under the straps. I pulled an aluminum tank out of a past boat that had been foamed in place. The foam had trapped moisture and pinholed the tank. Prior to installing the new tank, I enlaged the limber holes in the stringer, sealed the wood with epoxy, then attached strips of starboard to the tanks with 3M 5200. I had tabs on the top of the tank to secure it in place.
Just a thought....
Ken

Hi Ken,
You're spot on mate. I wasn't aware of this until my mate "Art" (on here) sent me an email with some fantastic tips from a surveyor. One of the links was for aluminium tank installation and you said exactly what the surveyor had said.

http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/fueltank.htm

Another fellow suggested I used foam but ill be steering well clear of that. When the time comes to locking the tank in, ill be glueing some 30mm plastic strips on the bottom of both the 500ltr diesel tank and the 500ltr water tank.

Thanks for your tip tho. Very much appreciated and thanks for looking out for me!

Cheers
Hendo.

iPad Forum Runner

Did a bit more today. Had my best mate come down and help me Finish fitting the main hull panels. (The last one to fit was an A***hole to do) Just gotta do the extension strips on them now to bring them out past the chine rails. Next weekend I'll do that and then take the temp chine rails off, now that the hull has its shape, and perminately fit the new timber chine rails on. With a bit of luck, hopefully ill have enough time to also fit the port side panels on and hopefully finish off the transom before moving on to build the superstructure and then wrap the bow sections.

The back wall of the toilet and the back wall of the shower were glued on and screwed off (up to the main floor height anyway) I will be extending the two walls up when I do the superstructure. The inside ceiling height of the head and the inside ceiling height of the shower will be 2100mm and if my measurements are correct, will also be the dash height at the helm.

I did the wall sections down to the hull for two reasons. First being to act as a bulkhead to stop any twist. As im building this out of my head and not going off plans, i read that bulkheads are good. Not sure if it is in my boat due to the frames but, meh, more strength the merrier i guess. The second reason is to act as a waterproof barrier between the bedroom and the engine room. These two sections will be completely sealed off from each other, including the bilge water ingress/egress along the keel. Im doing this as i don't want any oil or fuel residue in any water that may be in the engine room to leak into the front compartment and adding the associated odours to our sleeping qtrs. I am fitting three bilge pumps, one for the bedroom, one for the engine room and one in the aft compartment so this will/should/maybe/hopefully work out ok IMHO

The admiral also popped in to see how it's going and to drop off my mates birthday present that I left at home on the dining table.

I am having to leave the tarps fitted as the weather forecast is for 50mm of rain tomorrow so yeah might be a good day for a DVD

Away from the boat I ordered the new gasket kit for the engine. This was a mission effort. Perkins don't make a gasket kit for my engine but they do make one for the turbo versions. They needed me to tell them every gasket I needed which i cant cause i dont know So I ended up buying a T6.354.4 upper and lower gasket kit. There'll be extra gaskets I don't need but I'd rather that than order what I think I need and miss parts (especially having to order the gaskets from interstate). I also ordered new rings, mains and big end bearings, two thermostats, a new fuel lift pump, water pump and am currently trying to find the right starter motor and alternator.

All in all it was a good day.

iPad Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-3827124498.jpg
    image-3827124498.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3333273158.jpg
    image-3333273158.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1689388149.jpg
    image-1689388149.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 149
  • image-2842824171.jpg
    image-2842824171.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2104864743.jpg
    image-2104864743.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 156
  • image-1706692049.jpg
    image-1706692049.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 157
  • image-1168387138.jpg
    image-1168387138.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 140
  • image-658476309.jpg
    image-658476309.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1932854114.jpg
    image-1932854114.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 161
  • image-1735912027.jpg
    image-1735912027.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 153
  • image-1965873725.jpg
    image-1965873725.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 173
  • image-4254924791.jpg
    image-4254924791.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image-993589654.jpg
    image-993589654.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 158
  • image-20914170.jpg
    image-20914170.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image-3345188339.jpg
    image-3345188339.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 157
  • image-260161539.jpg
    image-260161539.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 147
  • image-2918774750.jpg
    image-2918774750.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 148
  • image-777454585.jpg
    image-777454585.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 138
  • image-1482179023.jpg
    image-1482179023.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 150
  • image-335815378.jpg
    image-335815378.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 162
  • image-2157577108.jpg
    image-2157577108.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Hey Hendo,

Nice update & lots of progress! Nice also to see the family. I admire someone who has the confidence to do a project like this, and from memory? So I'm looking at the bottom hull panels as they meet the old keel and skeg and I'm wondering are you going to glass the seams, or how will you finish and seal it? Also looking at the skeg and shoe, the old wood don't look to good, had you considered scarfing any new timber in there? Anyway, I really enjoyed watching your progress, keep the faith.

:pirate:

That's a mighty happy looking Admiral you have by your side there, Matt!

You guys and family will look fine out on the water in "YOUR - Very Personal Boat"!! Real nice updates you provide us all.

You are doing great... keep up the good work!

Cheers, Art & Linda :dance: :dance: :speed boat:

Good progress Hendo. Are you using part of the old hull to maintain connection with the original boat? Like the axe I had for 30 years, 2 new heads 3 new handles, but the same old axe.
When you finish with the 50mm of rain,can you please send it here, it`s dry as a dead dingo`s donger and there are bush (forest) fires up and down the east coast from NSW to Tasmania, many still not under control.

Hey Hendo,

Nice update & lots of progress! Nice also to see the family. I admire someone who has the confidence to do a project like this, and from memory? So I'm looking at the bottom hull panels as they meet the old keel and skeg and I'm wondering are you going to glass the seams, or how will you finish and seal it? Also looking at the skeg and shoe, the old wood don't look to good, had you considered scarfing any new timber in there? Anyway, I really enjoyed watching your progress, keep the faith.

:pirate:

DHM,
Thanks for the reply and support mate. Yeah I'm building this as I go, ballsy ... yes, crazy ... Absolutely, confident ... Not so much but ill keep pretending i do and with a bit of luck she'll turn out great hahahahahahahaha

Re: the sheet meeting the keel. They are sealed internally atm. When I put each sheet on, I pre apply High strength epoxy glue to all of the surfaces the sheet will touch. This includes applying liberal amounts along the keel. When I left the sheet up, the epoxy oozes out so I know there's a good connection on the inside. The outside I will put a 50mm epoxy glue fillet right along the keel from the transom to the bow on both sides. This will pick up and cover all of the screws and seal any chance of water entering. While the fillet is still tacky, I will then coat with straight epoxy and apply 2 x 150mm wide biaxal tape and wet it out so 75 mm is on the sheet and 75mm is down on the keel. With the sheet joins I will fill them with high strength epoxy glue, pre wet them with epoxy and apply the 150 mm biaxal tape to them also. On the chine area I will be doing the same but will over lap three lengths of biaxal tape so there is a total coverage strip of 400mm

Re: the Skeg and shoe, what is the Skeg and shoe? Sorry not up to date with boat building terms and google didn't help when I looked prior to replying to your post :-/

Cheers again for your support!

Regards
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
That's a mighty happy looking Admiral you have by your side there, Matt!

You guys and family will look fine out on the water in "YOUR - Very Personal Boat"!! Real nice updates you provide us all.

You are doing great... keep up the good work!

Cheers, Art & Linda :dance: :dance: :speed boat:

ART ... How are ya buddy?!!!

Yeah the admiral is very supportive of this project and is as excited as I am.

My mate bought his kids down to have a look. They were keen to help but nothing for them to do yet lol

Thanks for your support mate!

Cheers
Hendo :-D

iPad Forum Runner

Good progress Hendo. Are you using part of the old hull to maintain connection with the original boat? Like the axe I had for 30 years, 2 new heads 3 new handles, but the same old axe.
When you finish with the 50mm of rain,can you please send it here, it`s dry as a dead dingo`s donger and there are bush (forest) fires up and down the east coast from NSW to Tasmania, many still not under control.

Hey Bruce.
Thanks for your reply mate!

Before I forget, re: your reply in my shaft seal post, nah not building around the shaft mate. There'll be plenty of access. I will be able to gain full access to all parts of the hull, all beit on my hands and knees but its access none the less. I'm just planning the next steps and don't like surprises. Thanks for the heads up tho! Really appreciated :-D

The only original part of the boat will be the keel. Everything else is/has/will be replaced.

The admiral is sitting here beside me as I am writing these replies and I told her about the axe. She loved the comment thinks we should rename the boat to THE AXE hahahahahahahaha

As usual, the weather forecasts were not to accurate. It's cloudy but no rain as yet.

It's sad watching the news and seeing all the bush fires. I hope that the weather changes for y'all soon and that your friends and family are safe.

Cheers again for your support and giving our boat a new name :-D

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
Talking boat names Hendo, you were thinking 'Back in Black', the Bruce drew the comparison with told tale of the axe with 3 new heads and 2 new handles still being the same axe. Kiwis have the same tale but in Kiwispeak it's a spade. How about 'Axe of Spades' for a name....a sort of play on the words, Ace of spades..which of course, is black...or maybe 'Black Axe'...?

Talking boat names Hendo, you were thinking 'Back in Black', the Bruce drew the comparison with told tale of the axe with 3 new heads and 2 new handles still being the same axe. Kiwis have the same tale but in Kiwispeak it's a spade. How about 'Axe of Spades' for a name....a sort of play on the words, Ace of spades..which of course, is black...or maybe 'Black Axe'...?

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your reply mate. Yeah ill keep those in mind. Her original name is currently 'Ace High'. Whatever I do decide to call her, I will have to do the old salty rituals and traditions by doing the removal of her previous identity, then do then de-naming ceremony then do the re-naming ceremony. After all, i Don't want to launch her with bad mojo from the start now do I :-D

http://www.boatinghowto.com/content/renaming-your-boat-ceremony-steeped-tradition-lore-286/

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
Thanks for your reply mate. Yeah ill keep those in mind. Her original name is currently 'Ace High'. Whatever I do decide to call her, I will have to do the old salty rituals and traditions by doing the removal of her previous identity, then do then de-naming ceremony then do the re-naming ceremony. After all, i Don't want to launch her with bad mojo from the start now do I :-D
How to Rename Your Boat - A Ceremony Steeped With Tradition and Lore! - BoatingHowTo.com
iPad Forum Runner

Absolutely Hendo. Gotta do it right. Interesting the word ace was in the name tho, eh?
Like the new avatar. I love the Integrity 380, but agree with someone who felt those upper deck supports look not quite right. So, you have the chance to correct that.

Absolutely Hendo. Gotta do it right. Interesting the word ace was in the name tho, eh?
Like the new avatar. I love the Integrity 380, but agree with someone who felt those upper deck supports look not quite right. So, you have the chance to correct that.

Which supports are those mate? The large angled outer ones that hold up the roof bit?

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
Thanks Hendo, rain arrived yesterday, helping my home tanks ( supplement to normal supply I can use without restrictions) and the garden, fires etc.
The issue with the Integrity 380 aft supports could be the curve shape, lose that, they`d look better, small issue on a generally nice boat.

Thanks Hendo, rain arrived yesterday, helping my home tanks ( supplement to normal supply I can use without restrictions) and the garden, fires etc.
The issue with the Integrity 380 aft supports could be the curve shape, lose that, they`d look better, small issue on a generally nice boat.

Hi Bruce. Yeah I'm keeping those big panel uprights but they will not be curved. Planing to take out as much curved timber as possible. I will keep the taper the same but just take out the curve.

iPad Forum Runner

Yeah i like those big blades/roof support/side panel thingywhatsit's. might take the curved corners out and I might decide to leave em in. I don't want it to look boxy. I'm going through great lengths at home making jigs for the superstructure so it is has curves in it and so it's not boxy like most woodies. We'll see tho. That's the joys of building a boat. Ya get to choose what ya want or the boat will decide for ya like the bow sections did hahahahahahahahahahahaha

iPad Forum Runner

Hi Bruce. Yeah I'm keeping those big panel uprights but they will not be curved. Planing to take out as much curved timber as possible. I will keep the taper the same but just take out the curve.

iPad Forum Runner

By curves I mean radius ends etc.

iPad Forum Runner

I got presents today WOOOO HOOOOO. I had to pay $1400 bucks for it tho but i was still excited to get the call lol. Pretty good going I must say. I ordered these parts on Friday afternoon and I got a phone call at around 10am saying that everything had arrived. I was stoked especially considering they had to come from QLD and NSW.

I got all genuine parts except for the rings. There was only enough rings in Australia to do one cylinder so I had to get Federal Mogul rings. The freight costs from the UK are ridiculous and helped make the decision for me.

Hopefully they are a good quality brand. They look alright. Apparently they are from America and my choice was either from there or a set of aftermarket ones from Taiwan. I think I chose right.

So yeah that's my news for today.

Cheerio

Attachments

• image-2183095161.jpg
    image-2183095161.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 160
  • image-753924596.jpg
    image-753924596.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1785587735.jpg
    image-1785587735.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 141
  • image-2521009869.jpg
    image-2521009869.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 152
  • image-3030288450.jpg
    image-3030288450.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 143
  • image-4238166357.jpg
    image-4238166357.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 150
  • image-328824853.jpg
    image-328824853.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 146
  • image-488963853.jpg
    image-488963853.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1383716092.jpg
    image-1383716092.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image-932632208.jpg
    image-932632208.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2327049904.jpg
    image-2327049904.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 125
I got presents today WOOOO HOOOOO. I had to pay $1400 bucks for it tho but i was still excited to get the call lol. Pretty good going I must say. I ordered these parts on Friday afternoon and I got a phone call at around 10am saying that everything had arrived. I was stoked especially considering they had to come from QLD and NSW.

I got all genuine parts except for the rings. There was only enough rings in Australia to do one cylinder so I had to get Federal Mogul rings. The freight costs from the UK are ridiculous and helped make the decision for me.

Hopefully they are a good quality brand. They look alright. Apparently they are from America and my choice was either from there or a set of aftermarket ones from Taiwan. I think I chose right.

Cheerio

Sht - Matt

Don't force your engine to use condoms... let her multiply!

See 6th pict down - LOL :rofl: :lol: :dance:

I

Cheerio

USA made is usually good quality always better than taiwan or china. I go out of my way to avoid parts made on the pacific rim like aus, usa, european

FM is a big company, the rings could have been made anywhere. Could be North America, but the have plants in Europe and Asia as well.

In the 50's they made more motor boat propellers than anybody in the states.

FM is a big company, the rings could have been made anywhere. Could be North America, but the have plants in Europe and Asia as well.

In the 50's they made more motor boat propellers than anybody in the states.

yes, they still have a good reputation from what i have heard

USA made is usually good quality always better than taiwan or china. I go out of my way to avoid parts made on the pacific rim like aus, usa, european

Awww Aussie made ain't that bad, except for our movies. They're really Sh*t so avoid watching them haha

Ha ha! I figured you for a Holden man! That's ok I'm sure you're familiar with what Ford stands for.....Found On the Road Dead.

Cheers mate!

Ha ha! I figured you for a Holden man! That's ok I'm sure you're familiar with what Ford stands for.....Found On the Road Dead.

Cheers mate!

Hey Dave. You spent time in Aust? I'm surprised that the Holden Vs Ford rivalry is known outside of Australia.

I'm a Holden lover from way back. :-D

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom