Do you run with fenders deployed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, but what is the proper fender deployment for boatyard use?

Here's your chance to ask someone who does it ...

Attachments

• FENDER.jpg
    FENDER.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 86
Here's your chance to ask someone who does it ...

Must be a yardworker thing. The fenders weren't hanging out when the Coot was picked out of the water.

img_126509_0_647e80a616aba298efb43f6c3fb0ebab.jpg

they can be a bear to remove. Not that i :whistling:have ever rubbed the dock hard enough to leave marks but i have helped others:)

Sometimes the rubber kind of like vulcanoize to the gelcoat.

Acetone will make thr job pretty easy.

Acetone will make thr job pretty easy.

That's what the painter at the boatyard recommended. Gently rub using a soft cloth. The streaks came out easily.

Yes. The wax goes back on easier than the streaks come off.

Won't that take the wax off?

Yes it will but any other method of trying to remove the bumper residue will as well. You can't polish or buff this stuff off. Acetone disolves it.

I don't know how acetone affects marine paint but that's still pretty much the only way to get it off.

Last edited:
Yes it will but any other method of trying to remove the bumper residue will as well. You can't polish or buff this stuff off. Acetone disolves it.

I don't know how acetone affects marine paint but that's still pretty much the only way to get it off.

Yo... boat people... I keep trying to tell ya the following about alleviating fender care (see my post # 87 with pict):

[/QUOTE] "Soft, durable, good looking and easy to keep clean cloth stockings [fender covers] on fenders virtually eliminate fender marks on any color or material hull." [/QUOTE]

Fender stockings are relatively inexpensive, quick/easy to put on, and last... looking real good for many years. Black, blue or white fenders suddenly look all the same color. Even various fender styles of on-fender line attachments become not so noticeable. Stockings alleviate fender marks on paint or gel coat. Just ceasing the yearly time/effort and also calculating the material savings for removing fender marks means these stockings pay for themselves over and over. I used to often need to buff out and re-shine "fender-rubs". Not one (1) fender mark during any year for any reason since I placed on the visual enhancing stockings. The stockings can be purchased at any number of marine supply outlets. Also, because they clean with a simple hose spray-off you never have dirty looking fenders again. One word of caution... don’t use a pressure washer close-in on the stockings’ fabric material, caus, threads can begin to break loose and become somewhat unsightly – been there done that!

I use tire cleaner which takes most of the streaks. If that does not work then Clorox spray and if that does not work then repaint.

My wife and I were eating over the sink last night, looking at the tug across from us, and discuss change the Eagle to a tug, white side wall tires as fenders, add ugly bow protection, and a fake stack. I mean if we are going to look ugly and run dirty, may as well run really ugly and dirty as long as interior is pimp out. :socool:

Yo... boat people... I keep trying to tell ya the following about alleviating fender care (see my post # 87 with pict):
"Soft, durable, good looking and easy to keep clean cloth stockings [fender covers] on fenders virtually eliminate fender marks on any color or material hull." [/QUOTE]

Fender stockings are relatively inexpensive, quick/easy to put on, and last... looking real good for many years. Black, blue or white fenders suddenly look all the same color. Even various fender styles of on-fender line attachments become not so noticeable. Stockings alleviate fender marks on paint or gel coat. Just ceasing the yearly time/effort and also calculating the material savings for removing fender marks means these stockings pay for themselves over and over. I used to often need to buff out and re-shine "fender-rubs". Not one (1) fender mark during any year for any reason since I placed on the visual enhancing stockings. The stockings can be purchased at any number of marine supply outlets. Also, because they clean with a simple hose spray-off you never have dirty looking fenders again. One word of caution... don’t use a pressure washer close-in on the stockings’ fabric material, caus, threads can begin to break loose and become somewhat unsightly – been there done that!
I agree fender covers are a good idea, but my post was in response to getting the black residue from dock edges (or bumpers) off a boat hull. Two different things.

I use tire cleaner which takes most of the streaks. If that does not work then Clorox spray and if that does not work then repaint.

My wife and I were eating over the sink last night, looking at the tug across from us, and discuss change the Eagle to a tug, white side wall tires as fenders, add ugly bow protection, and a fake stack. I mean if we are going to look ugly and run dirty, may as well run really ugly and dirty as long as interior is pimp out. :socool:

Yeah - But Phil :eek:

Think of the weight (xtra fuel costs :ermm:):

50 + HD white wall tires at 50 +/- lbs each = 2,500 lbs / umpteen new cleats & fasteners = 200 +/- lbs / hundreds of feet HD line = 200 +/- lbs / full depth bow pusher made of hemp line well twined = 500 +/- lbs.

I'd guess 3,400 lbs added weight is not out of the question! :facepalm:

But... sure would look cool on your avatar!! LOL :rofl:

Maybe get cha an ins discount too! :thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. Art. don't be giving p/f any ideas. If he DOES tart up his boat with tires who knows WHAT that will lead to....
bumper_pink.jpg

There is nothing wrong running dirty if the water is calm and the bumpers are hanging in the water. When moored on Lake Union for 12 years we ran dirty until we got though the locks going west, and though the University cut until Lake Washington. So I don’t think about takeing them in until we are in open water.

We invest rubber/plastic dock rub/protection and 8 round bumpers left on the dock, However, we still sometimes mark the hull, which is no big deal as I can rub out/repair quickly, which is the reason I use cheap Brightside which is easy to match. But that is one of the nice things of having a ugly old trawler as bang/marks just make it look meaner/used. We have a new neighbor across from us a 70+ ft old ocean tug from Alaska that has tires permanently mounted. The more I look at then, the more I think that is not a bad idea. Except I would use white wall tires. I mean we don’t want to look to trashy! :socool:
:) granted tires are functional but unsightly. If you need some i have one around my middle i would love to get rid of?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom