View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
lokeefe

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Miss Miranda
Vessel Model: Nordhavn N50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Larry, interesting to hear your use of the boat deck, even in the PNW. My kids are going to love that area when I'm back in Queensland.

As part of my refit, which I'll post some info/photos on soon, I am going to add some removable railing to the boat deck. It is a huge area without the dinghy on it, but the PO removed quite a bit of railing to facilitate launch/retrieval of the 14 ft RIB. As a result its a bit scary on the port quarter.

I had to repair about 15% of the boat deck core. All issues arose from fixtures incorrectly installed, including the 3 inboard stanchion supports which had the longest period of water ingress. For those who aren't aware, if you want to fasten to cored deck then do it in stages: first drill an oversize hole, second fill with epoxy putty, third drill small hole into cured epoxy for self tapping (or threaded) screw. This way you will avoid creating a 'sinkhole' for water to saturate your core.

The pic shows the area of the one Stbd stanchion that had an inboard support. Most of the stanchions are simply fixed through the teak toerail, but ones with an additional inboard brace had water issues. The fixings for it were in the middle of the black area, which is wringing wet and rotten balsa. Part of the surrounding area was damp, so that was also removed.

Second pic is shows foam filled repair before fairing. Repair needed to extend under the teak toe rail in both directions to ensure all of the damp balsa came out.
Ouch! That looks painful. But good that the work is getting done properly. That will be one problem permanently solved for you. My boat had a custom davit installed at the port aft corner of the cabin. My 13.5 ft caribe can go straight out off the stern and swing around to the port side, such that there is only a gap of the width of the tender (4-5 ft, I'd guess) in the rail off the stern. I have a lifeline that goes across the gap when the tender is in the water.

If I recall, your boat is in Port Townsend. May I ask who is doing the refit work, and your level of satisfaction? If you don't want to post the info, feel free to PM.

Anacortes, WA
lokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote