Some observations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knotheadcharters

Vessel Name
Amar la Vida
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
On my recent trip to Ft. Pierce I learned a few things. When the wife and I were looking for our next boat, there were some items I was particular to. The main was a couple of small naturally aspirated diesels. I felt that 8-10 kts was sufficent cruise speed for the type of cruising I wanted to do. I also knew I would probably not be buying a full-displacement trawer but a semi-displacement. Well over a 460 mile round trip, here is what I found. When the scenery is nice 8-10 kts is very nice but when in more open water with a 20-30 kt headwind 10 kts sucks in a semi-displacement hull.
The Amar la Vida has twin 6-71Ti Detroit diesels. After working the numbers. At 1100rpms, depending on tide I run at 8.5-10kts. The best part of that is I am burning 7 gallons per hour total with a 20-25% load on a 15kw genny. Now at 1800rpms the engines are in a nice even stride, depending on tide she's running 14.5-16.0kts burning 18 gallons an hour with the same genny load. I do not think that is bad for a 50k pound aft cabin motoryacht. I am very happy with these numbers and I believe it gives me alot more flexibility in my cruise planning without breaking the bank.:thumb:

Chris, it was good meeting you and your dad in Ft. Pierce. You have a very comfortable cruising boat. Copious amount of space.

I would question running the generator at 25% load for extended periods. 15kw is a large generator. Moonstruck has a 12kw to run everything on board without load shedding. In order to keep the ginny loaded to 75% I run the heat/air units when it is on.

Not being retired (looking more like I probably never will), speed between destinations is important to me. It gives more time to hang out and enjoy being there. I still like the trawler style, but no time for the slow speeds. My son, David, and I went down to the Stuart Boat Show. For a large boat I think the Fleming 55 is the best combination of speed and accomodation.

Jacksonville with it St. Johns River, the Atlantic, and the ICW is a great cruising base. I'm sure you will get much enjoyment there.

Don it was a pleasure meeting you also. Thanks for the kind words, yes she is very comfortable and very liveaboardable which I hope to be doing in the next few years. I agree about only running the genny at 25% load. I do run at least one A/C heat,a few lights and the refrigerator. I may be running at a higher capacity I have not worked the numbers exact. I am going to add an inverter to run the refrigerator and few outlets to not have to run the generator all the time.

There are reasons why "semi displacement" hull/engine combinations are so popular.

We run our boat with Cummins 330's at 8 knots while in protected waters. The admrial doesn't like being bounced around in unprotected waters so I can run at 15 knots during those times which not only gets us there faster, it also causes the stern to squat a bit smoothing out the ride in a beam sea.

If you add a large inverter/charger you'll not only reduce your generator run time, you'll also add load to it when you are running the generator. A 150 amp charger will draw 15 amps or more when in "bulk charge" mode.

Speed between destinations is important to me. It gives more time to hang out and enjoy being there. ....... For a large boat I think the Fleming 55 is the best combination of speed and accommodation.

If I were doing long distance cruising, that's exactly what I would have and for the same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom