Is It Time For Another "Hall of Famer?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same for me, but hey, what's in a name..?
Well folks...it looks like it's time for us to retire, and consider the vote. If Marin wants off the list, maybe we should respect that desire...?
Perhaps while we are pondering, we should all partake of some of this...just to hone our minds, so to speak....

Yuck. How 'bout something else.

img_126012_0_c37d58288c103e99a2b20689b8ee7711.png

Marin I think you and Tom should both be on the list. Tom is one of the most knowledgable and experienced trawler skippers I know and he's our guy. Same w Marin. Marin is opinionated (like me) and he presents his stuff frequently w/o flowers. Fine. He is the most involved person here. He honors us w more of his mental energy than anyone else. I don't care if he wants it or not. He also says he thinks his boat is ugly. Sometimes Marin should not be taken at face value ... like now. Besides his acceptance isn't necessary.

Eric--- We never postpone a cruise because we need or want to varnish or whatever. ...

My berth neighbor, as far as I can tell, has only taken his boat out once in the last year.

Saw him today. Asked when he'd take his boat out. He said "this summer." His wife is wheelchair-bound, and he said he's thinking about installing a crane/hoist to get her aboard.

His boat is to the left of the fuel-unbalanced Coot.

img_126026_0_455159d016e0167442425a1879b98bb3.jpg

He is the most involved person here..

I'm not involved Eric. I post a lot because I'm a REALLY fast typist and writer and I have a ton of short periods of inactivity when I'm editing while I'm waiting for an effect to render. Like right now. For me, the forum is entertainment and writing practice to fill little gaps in my day, nothing more.

I like our boat, I'm not interested in other boats or even boating in general. I'm interested in historical boats because they're historical and because of what people did with them. I don't care about marine diesels other than the two in our boat. I don't care about hull forms because I have no interest in them whatsoever. As long as our boat floats and goes in the direction we point it, and gets there, I'm satisfied. I hate the fact that it's so pathetically slow but I'm so far not interested enough in going any faster to pay money to do it, at least not with a cruising boat.

I work on our boat because it's fun and relaxing. I have no interest in working anyone else's boat or helping them work on it. Just as I have no interest in helping people move house.

So you see, Eric, I participate in TrawlerForum for the same reason I watch Family Guy when I get home after work. It's entertaining and it's funny. Outside of that, I have no real use for it. In all the years I've been on the forum I have seen just ONE thing that I have actually found useful in real life, and that was Keith's recommendation to use GoJo to clean groundpower cables and fenders.

TrawlerForum in my life has a completely different purpose than the Grand Banks owners forum. This is entertainment. The GB forum is a resource.

So you see, Eric, I participate in TrawlerForum for the same reason I watch Family Guy when I get home after work. It's entertaining and it's funny. Outside of that, I have no real use for it. In all the years I've been on the forum I have seen just ONE thing that I have actually found useful in real life, and that was Keith's recommendation to use GoJo to clean groundpower cables and fenders.

Marin, while we have much in common, this forum has introduced new friends besides providing advice incorporated in the Coot's detailing, and more.

Marin, while we have much in common, this forum has introduced new friends besides providing advice incorporated in the Coot's detailing, and more.

Everyone will get different things from a venue like this. Perhaps it's of real value to people interested in getting into this kind of boating, I don't know. I got into flying without the internet and my wife and I got into boating without the internet. If the internet blew up tomorrow it would not make any difference to our boating or our flying.

So based on our own experience, I see little value in the internet with regards to our boating because we know how to find all the information we might need to operate, service, maintain, and fix our two boats without it. The GB forum has been quite valuable, I admit, but everything I've learned from it I could have learned in other ways. Maybe not as quickly in some cases.

We're not social boaters so the friends thing is irrelevant to us. The handful of boaters we do boat with we have met in the marina or via the little boating club we joined. On a few occasions someone has come up to the boat when I've been on board and asked if this was the La Pérouse they had heard of on the forum and if I was Marin. I tell them no but there's another GB36 in the east basin with the same name so check there and that's the end of it.

So, different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Here Are the Nominees!

It's only been a few days and some interesting names have surfaced. I must point out that several have declined to put their name up for consideration but my vast experience in conducting HoF proceedings says, it 's not up to them! As of this writing, there have been 96 posts submitted, nominating 6 members. Some posts were so vague that I couldn't ascertain as to whether a nomination had been, indeed, submitted.

The nominees are:
Marin
Mark
Eric
Baker
Sunchaser
phil/Fill

Now, we must decide if the vote is going to be open or secret. I prefer secret but I need help from someone who knows how to achieve this! It is also my hope that those members who have not posted on this subject, suck it up and vote!

Last edited:
several have declined to put their name up for consideration but my vast experience in conducting HoF proceedings says, it 's not up to them!
Unless the decliner(s) are being coy, really it is up to them. If someone truly does not want the position,and gets elected over protestations, they will still decline, and you are back where you started or have a mess on your hands.
Which is not to say the decliner(s) are not good candidates, they surely are!

Unless the decliner(s) are being coy, really it is up to them. If someone truly does not want the position,and gets elected over protestations, they will still decline, and you are back where you started or have a mess on your hands.

Thank you Bruce, end of story.

Yuck. How 'bout something else.

img_126071_0_c37d58288c103e99a2b20689b8ee7711.png

I put that up deliberately, because I know just how much Marin loves it. And if he turns down the honour of HOF, then he is condemned to consume at least 4 slices with it, right...?

Unless the decliner(s) are being coy, really it is up to them.

Bruce: I certainly understand your comments but consider other HoF forums. (ie: MLB, NBA, NFL, and the NHL.) A group of writers nominate candidates for their respective HOFs and then they vote. The nominees get voted in or out whether they decline or not. (Most, if not all, do not.) HoFs are not the same as running for public office where nominees can and do decline from time to time.

Last edited:
I should have also noted that the nominations are closed. I am under some pressure, at present, to bring this HoF endeavor to a swift close. A poll is being designed right now and will be forthcoming shortly.

Awards are a nice idea. I would suggest expansion to include some categories to get more members involved such as "Rookie of the Year", "Most Improved Poster", "Best Picture", "Best Comedy", etc (not campaining, just sayin')

Awards are a nice idea. I would suggest expansion to include some categories to get more members involved such as "Rookie of the Year", "Most Improved Poster", "Best Picture", "Best Comedy", etc (not campaining, just sayin')

I think that's a great idea, however, it will take a new volunteer to incorporate it as this volunteer has taken it in the shorts with the private Messaging. (You would think we are the U.S. Congress!) :mad:

I think that's a great idea, however, it will take a new volunteer to incorporate it as this volunteer has taken it in the shorts with the private Messaging. (You would think we are the U.S. Congress!) :mad:

As they say: No good deed goes unpunished.

A poll is obviously a fair democratic way to go, personally I`d be happy with our esteemed Administrators and Moderators making the choice, helped by what members have said.

Greetings,
THEN you're putting the onus on the administrators. Don't they get blamed for enough already? If not WHY not? Yup, go for the popular vote but I've noticed, NOBODY suggested Scooby Doo....Pity.
scooby-doo.jpg

Greetings,
THEN you're putting the onus on the administrators. Don't they get blamed for enough already? If not WHY not? Yup, go for the popular vote...
I would trust Administrators plus the Moderators, to come up with a decision. I don`t put blame on them, not even for removing a post of mine, they do a good job.
But a vote is absolutely fine too.

I would trust Administrators plus the Moderators, to come up with a decision. I don`t put blame on them, not even for removing a post of mine, they do a good job.
But a vote is absolutely fine too.

Hmm - not sure you should do that... did you see my earlier post soliciting bribes?

:whistling:

How about the nominees for the Hall of FLAME Award?

Greetings,
Now Mr. Gonzo. Are we talking about the flamERS or the flamEES? In any case, I think THAT pole should be in the realm of OTDE and best yet, don't have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom