Perkins 6.354 Fresh water pump rebuild kits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully for you it is a normal rotation engine and you can get parts from NAPA for massey-ferguston. Caseing and impeller are the only things different on the contra. I'm pretty sure the went to normal rotation when the borg-warner velvet drives came out. I've been in the bilge so much lately that I may need to put in a third helm down there. :blush:

Well, I get no joy from my results.... My starboard engine is definitely a "contra-rotating"... so I will either end up sending the pup out for rebuild or as a friend pointed out....installing an electric pump. :nonono:

Well, I get no joy from my results.... My starboard engine is definitely a "contra-rotating"... so I will either end up sending the pup out for rebuild or as a friend pointed out....installing an electric pump. :nonono:

Bugger! I rang Perkins here in Australia and they have new water pumps. Was pleased with the cost too. $239.00 for a Genuine Perkins one. Might be worth giving Perkins over there a call to see if they do new contra's.

iPad Forum Runner

Bugger! I rang Perkins here in Australia and they have new water pumps. Was pleased with the cost too. $239.00 for a Genuine Perkins one. Might be worth giving Perkins over there a call to see if they do new contra's.

iPad Forum Runner

I recently ordered a pump but it is for the normal rotation.... I called Perkins here...they said no way I could get a new one.....

Is the one that you ordered for "contra-rotating"??

Does anyone know what the true Perkins part number is for the counter rotating freshwater pump?

In the thread in the classified section, I gave the number 41312322, but on a German parts site, it was a regular rotation pump. TBH, I haven't a clue if the anti-rotation engines have a different number or not. This is all I got. Sorry.

Well, I get no joy from my results.... My starboard engine is definitely a "contra-rotating"...

Is the impeller completely destroyed?

The reason I ask is if it is still more or less intact you (or a good craftsman) can restore the vanes with epoxy or wax and use it as a form from which to make a mold and cast a few new impellers. If you have them investment cast there will be minimal machining required to finish them.

Since the items seem to be unobtainable, you might be in a position to sell them to someone else in the same position. It is hard to believe you are the only person on the planet with that problem. It might take some time to get your money back but you will certainly have a product that someone needs somewhere someday.

Boatdiesel's Perkins guru answered this issue on a thread today. Buy a rebuild kit for a non counter rotating pump - it will work just fine. The only difference in the pump is the location of the volute

The location? I don't fully understand, Tom. Can you clarify?

Last edited:
The location? I don't fully understand, Tom. Can you clarify?

You may best go direct to the boatdiesel thread and ask that question. I'm without the two pumps side by side.

I posted the question on Boatdiesel forum last night. The answer from one reply was: "The Perkins contra rotating water pump has not been available for about 20 years. However rest easy, exactly the same pump as ´normal´ rotation 6.354 with different volute. Simply purchase water pump overhaul kit and life will be good." Hope this helps you guys who have this problem.

Here is what the contra pump looks like.

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 154
And the impellers out of the volute.

Here is the normal rotation pump or what is left of it since had to take the shaft out to repair the contra.

Attachments

• IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 112
And side by side. sorry don't have a pic with the impeller out of the contra. Wish I had taken one now. Contra on the left. Of course when on the engine the bottom of the picture is the top of the pump on the engine.

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
The post I made on Boatdiesel about this pump just had this reply posted:

"I have a new counter rotating recirculating pump for the 6.354 in stock if you are interested."

Just in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:
The post I made on Boatdiesel about this pump just had this reply posted:

"I have a new counter rotating recirculating pump for the 6.354 in stock if you are interested."

Just incase anyone is interested.

VERY interested. Should be part number U5MW0114. Just left a message for carter D. Thanks.

Last edited:
You have to contact him thru my post on Boatdiesel, if you don't have access to it, I could reply for you. He didn't post a part number, just said what is in the quotation marks. If you wish help in contacting the gentleman private message me.

Just left a message for carter D. Thanks.

Well no such luck. It was a normal rotation pump. I am just going to buy the rebuild kit for the normal rotation which will work on the contra. NAPA has them since this engine was used in combines. When cruising out of the US it's the parts that are expensive not the labor.

HELP! Perkins contra rotating waterpump

Hi everyone, Please! In need of a T6.354 contra rotating water pump or rebuild kit or info on someone who may rebuild one. Any info would be appreciated thank you sincerely Don

Bob Smith at American Diesel can probably help.

What I did was take a normal rotating pump and used the parts out of it. The shaft on mine broke so had the old shaft stub pressed out of the old impeller and the shaft of the normal rotation pump presse out then repressed on the contra impeller. put all back together and works great. If the houseing is shot then may want to put on an electric water pump with a fabricated houseing.

Check out Summit Racing - you can get an electric water pump. Toss that old s#%€ and convert.

Fun project and everybody will love you.

Check out Summit Racing - you can get an electric water pump. Toss that old s#%€ and convert.

I have thought about this before. My concern is that it no longer allows for a 100% electrical failure (unlikely I know). Currently, my old Dr. Perky will run no matter what. Given a steady stream of fuel and air, he'll keep chugging along forever. Add an electrically dependent component like a water pump and you have taken that elegance away.

Loon here. Cruising the San Juans and have a question. We developed a noise at 1500 rpms which went away at a lower rpm. A wife complained of lukewarm water while showering. I'm positing the fresh water pump is the culprit however no leakage. It is the 6.354M starboard engine,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom