Yacht maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I drove other people's yachts for a living, when something went wrong I got out my little black book of professional help and made a call. Now I'm retired, it's a different story. Instead of doing it myself I suppose I could still make a call, but then I'd have to go back to the salt mines. Ah...yachting! I once heard it defined as "Getting wet and becoming ill, whilst slowly going nowhere at great expense."

As anyone who owns a Cummins B or C series engine knows changing the raw water pump is a PIA requiring the engine mount bracket to be removed and the engine supported by a jack. I do most of my own maintenance by necessity but not this job. The bill - $1700 and is why I do most of my maintenance.

I had to read that twice to comprehend. Incredible. My sea water pump is easy. I passed up all the engines that were only available w a built in gear driven pump. Ordered an engine from Klassen and had my choice. I chose the remote mounted bronze sea water pump belt driven from a pully on the front of the crankshaft. Extra groves for possible hydraulic pump or whatever. I use one belt for the sea water pump and haven't changed it yet (7yrs). It looks the same as it did 7 years ago when it was new. It takes me about 1/2 hour to change the impeller and probably not much longer to change the belt. I'll give it a good look this spring. Hasn't required adjustment for years. Of course there's very little load on it.

I talked about how the truck engines don't come out perfect when converted to marine service. Perhaps your sea water pump is an example of that.

In the pic see my pump lower left and it's drive belt.

Larry M,
That's about the most beautiful bow I've ever seen.

Attachments

• STH71439 copy.jpg
    STH71439 copy.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom