Pirates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisjs

Guru
I assume that many othere listees were as satisfied as I was to read that five of the Somalian pirates drowned on their way back to shore afer receiving their share of the $3M ransom for the Sirius Star tanker. Regretably three others made it to shore. Hopefully without* their loot. I am at a loss to understand why in this age of needle point precision targeting and remotely driven drone missiles that the US and or the UN can not eradicate these low lifes after they have given up their hostages. It seems it should be easy to routinely eradicate them on their way back to shore making it a no win game. Piracy would end quickly if life expectancy was counted in minutes after giving back the vessels and hostages.

Chrisjs

...and we could use the target practice.

"Piracy would end quickly if life expectancy was counted in minutes after giving back the vessels and hostages."

But then they would be part of the Victim culture ,

and we could no longer name game teams after Pirates.

Remember Redskins,Indians & Braves?,,Same PC idiocy will demand to rush funds for reparations.

FF wrote:

"Piracy would end quickly if life expectancy was counted in minutes after giving back the vessels and hostages."

But then they would be part of the Victim culture ,

and we could no longer name game teams after Pirates.

Remember Redskins,Indians & Braves?,,Same PC idiocy will demand to rush funds for reparations.
Sad but true!!!

What's the over/under on how long before a shipping and/or insurance group hires Blackwater to deal with this problem?

More likely the shippers will simply order even larger and bypass as much of the world , and canal expenses , on a longer way to deliver.

FF

FF wrote:More likely the shippers will simply order even larger and bypass as much of the world , and canal expenses , on a longer way to deliver.
Sounds expensive, short term and long term.* A handful of mercs can fix this in a few weeks.* They've proved their effectiveness in the past - was it in Nigeria, maybe?* ~50 mercs ran off ~1,500 "freedom fighters".* Diamonds or more likely oil, was the prize. I just don't remember at the moment.* It did outrage the PC community though, I do remember that.

When we were in China last month the Chines announced they were sending a small naval fleet to join the international forces that are combatting piracy off Somalia. The Chinese were very excited about doing this--- it will be the first time Chinese naval forces have been deployed outside the Pacific Ocean, ever--- and their motivation is that Chinese vessels are among the ships that have been seized and they have a strong motivation for putting an end to the piracy. I doubt that they will put much stock in diplomacy or "talking" to the pirates....

" I doubt that they will put much stock in diplomacy or "talking" to the pirates...."

You mean no "Gitmo" vacation for pirates?

Just the std. summary execution the Geneva Convention prefers for "irregulars"?

FF

RTF,

I really hope you're not referring to the Israelis as the pirates. If so, there are some who would agree....like Hamas.

The Islamic militant group Hamas that controls Gaza, meanwhile, praised the report and called for those involved in the raid to be punished.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

Hiya,
** Mr. Coyote.* I AM referring to the Israelis as pirates!* The ship in question was boarded in international waters and that's the KEY word here INTERNATIONAL with no justification (if one can justify piracy).* IF the Israelis were so concerned about weapon smuggling, they should have waited until the ship was within the embargo zone and THEN proceeded!
** Hmmm,,,,Maybe the next time the Israelis should just board the ship in the Turkish port.

IF the Israelis were so concerned about weapon smuggling, they should have waited until the ship was within the embargo zone and THEN proceeded!

Agree , to SINK IT.

RTF,Does this mean they WILL be called on the carpet for this or is it just more complaining and talk.
I know this is a naive question but why do we have anything to do w Israel?
I think they've got a bad attitude.

Hiya,
** Israel called on the carpet by the UN?***They should be but somehow I really doubt it and even if it happened, I don't think Israel really gives a crap.**The fact that*Israel*boarded this ship as I said*, in INTERNATIONAL waters (THAT'S piracy IMHO) *should be a concern to*every nation that uses*any waters for commerce.*** If this incident had occured within what the Israelis consider the "embrgo zone", I think somewhat less of a stink would have occured and in my opinion it would simply have been yet one more occurence in the ongoing middle east foolishness.
** There have been several posts on this forum regarding Somali pirates.* Universal condemnation and VERY rightly so.* I feel pirates should be held accountable and prosecuted to the full extent of international law.

Just a point to ponder. *A few years ago when the US of A felt threatened by Cuba having*missiles*that could pound our soil, our President made the very profound decision to blockade Russian ships from delivering said missiles to Cuba. I don't remember anyone at the time, or later, saying he didn't make the right call. He was, after all, doing so to protect American citizens.

Israel knew there were arms that threatened their country on that ship and did what they felt was necessary; that is, stop the arms from getting into the hands of their enemies (weapons and munitions were found on the ship). I fail to see why they shouldn't be permitted to do everything possible to protect themselves from those who have vowed to*annihilate Israeli citizens.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

It is sure nice to know there are some with ba*** in the mid-east to take on the bad guys. Yes, there is bad*info from time to*time. RT, I don't see you complaining about*Iran's Pres saying the US caused 9/11. Don't worry, Israel will cover our a** with that moron too.

Hiya,
** Mr. Coyote.* Blockade is a very effective method of preventing the "enemy" from repleneshing their supplies.* It has been used quite effectivly for centuries.* Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recal the US, during the Cuban missle crisis, ever conducting an armed boarding of a ship bound for Cuba in international waters.* Can you please provide a reference as to*what munitions were found on the ship boarded by the Israelis.* I missed that part of the story.
** Mr. sunchaser.* I*listened to*Iran's presidents statements with the same attitude as the statements of Kim Jong-il or any other whacko.* Pure BS and the only reason to make such a fuss is to sell newspapers.* Islamic mullas, US talk show hosts and other people of promenance have been making such outlandish statements regarding the "truth" these days, that listening to the news is akin to an episode of Saturday*Night Live.
** To repeat, this incident happened 40 miles off the coast in international waters-piracy.

And RT where are your complaints against the*North Koreans for the recent torpedoing of* the South Korrea ship that has some saying war is closer than ever*over there.

RTF,

I stand partially corrected. Weapons were found on the ship that was boarded by the Israelis but I*misspoke*when I said there were munitions also found*on board. It appears the weapons were not military, but were intended to use against anyone attempting to board the vessel. Video of the incident clearly shows the Israelis were attacked first, before anyone opened fire on the 'peaceful activists'.

May 31, 2010 ... During a search aboard the maritime vessel Mavi Marmara, IDF forces uncovered a cache of weapons including many knives, slingshots, rocks, smoke bombs, metal rods, improvised sharp metal objects, sticks and clubs, 5KG hammers, firebombs and gas masks in case IDF forces fired riot dispersal means at the activists as they violently attacked the soldiers.

Later in the same week another ship was boarded by the Israelis, for the same reason.

Israeli forces today boarded the Rachel Corrie after it ignored orders not to head for Gaza, but there was no repetition of the bloody violence when commandos stormed an aid boat earlier this week.

The military said its troops had boarded the ship "with the full compliance" of the crew and passengers in a peaceful operation in which there was no use of violence by either side.

On another note:The US*did conduct an armed boarding of a vessel bound for Cuba in International waters.(October 25, 1962) Thursday morning at 7:15 a.m. EST, the USS*Essex and USS*Gearingattempted to intercept the*Bucharest*but failed to do so. Fairly certain the tanker did not contain any military material, it was allowed through the blockade. Later that day, at 5:43 p.m., the commander of the blockade effort ordered the USS*Kennedy to intercept and board the Lebanese freighter*Marucla. This took place the next day, and the*Marucla*was cleared through the blockade after its cargo was checked.

I stand by the premise that Israel has the right to defend itself, especially when the ship in question refused to change course to a port to be searched and continued to attempt to run the blockade set up by Israel. It seems the activists chose the conflict when they could have easily have allowed the search and continued on their way. By attempting to run the blockade they chose the outcome to be*violent.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

-- Edited by coyote454 on Sunday 26th of September 2010 09:40:31 AM

Hiya,
** Mr. sunchaser.* I think N Korea probably did sink the S Korean vessel.* Short of all out war, I haven`t got a clue was should be done other than what has already been done.* Some may say NUKE-EM but I think we all know where THAT will lead.* I strongly suspect China is getting a bit p*ssed off with the short guy from NK as they have cautioned restraint be practiced by all involved.
************ ** http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10181527
** Mr. Coyote.**I still stand by my concern that this incident occured in INTERNATIONAL waters and the Israelis would have had ample time to inspect said vessel within the*commonly accepted 12 mile limit usually ascribe to a blockade.
** I fully respect YOUR opinion, but I don`t agree with it and I`m not even going to get into cause-effect* for the whole middle east mess (hint, I blame the brits).
** Everything other than the fire bombs might simply be ordinary objects which MIGHT be found on any vessel (eg: 5KG hammer...sticks, stones etc.)
** All that being said, could it be that the occupants of the relief ship wished to provoke an incident to highlight, which many feel, including the UN,, is an overly*zelous*Israeli response in dealing with the Gaza situation...*

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Sunday 26th of September 2010 12:29:50 PM

RT Firefly wrote:

...could it be that the occupants of the relief ship wished to provoke an incident to highlight, which many feel, including the UN,, is an overly*zelous*Israeli response in dealing with the Gaza situation...*
RTF,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. *I agreed with you when I wrote, "It seems the activists chose the conflict when they could have easily have allowed the search and continued on their way. By attempting to run the blockade they chose the outcome to be*violent."

I can't imagine living under the threats that Israel does. *Can you imagine other countries saying publicly that their goal is to wipe the US off the face of the earth? Come to think of it, *that's*exactly*what radical Islam IS saying. *YIKES!!

Thanks for the discourse. *I appreciate your opinions.

Mike

Brookings, Oregon

09-26-2010 05:17 PM PDT by SOPHIA TAREEN, Associated Press:

FBI agents in Chicago took a laptop and documents from the home of a Palestinian-American anti-war activist. More than a half a dozen agents went to the home of Hatem Abuddayyah and took any documents containing the word "Palestine."
You think maybe the FBI did this without Obummer's knowledge? Obummer would never allow such a thing to happen under his watch, or would he?
confuse.gif

...could it be that the occupants of the relief ship wished to provoke an incident to highlight, which many feel, including the UN,, is an overly zelous Israeli response in dealing with the Gaza situation...

This is called LAWFARE.

Usually the folks drag 6 month old dead babies and women out of the Morgue and spread then around for CNN and Al Jisera.

In a connected world LAWFARE is as effective as the media is willing to be a part of the con.

Back
Top Bottom