Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daddyo -

Do you prefer the lower helm?? I know the weather is not favorable to the upper helm right now, but in general, do you stay at the lower helm??

It's kinda strange but I preferred the upper helm for years and for the last two years I have barely used the upper helm or the flybridge at all. Of course this time of year it's the temps but in the summer I think maybe it was too much sun or maybe because the rest of the crew is below and I prefer to be with them. Leaving Charleston this afternoon or tomorrow morn with a new crew (my two sons).

It's kinda strange but I preferred the upper helm for years and for the last two years I have barely used the upper helm or the flybridge at all. Of course this time of year it's the temps but in the summer I think maybe it was too much sun or maybe because the rest of the crew is below and I prefer to be with them. Leaving Charleston this afternoon or tomorrow morn with a new crew (my two sons).

Weather today in Ft. Pierce clear, light wind, high 70s. Hope you have improving weather as you move south.

It's kinda strange but I preferred the upper helm for years and for the last two years I have barely used the upper helm or the flybridge at all. Of course this time of year it's the temps but in the summer I think maybe it was too much sun or maybe because the rest of the crew is below and I prefer to be with them.

This is the same for me. I occasionally use the flybridge but over last 2 years, and now especially with our pilothouse, I really enjoy cruising from the lower helm. Even in summer- we just open the pilothouse doors, door to the bridge, and the windows and it is great.

Safe travels Mark- enjoy!

Just now leaving Charleston inlet, might have to come inside in the AM.

He's transmitting!! :thumb: Safe journey!

Just now leaving Charleston inlet, might have to come inside in the AM.

You can run up St. Helena Sound and anchor behind Monkey Island. Maybe the monkeys will be out. Your two boys would love it!

Should be good going..

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 4.55.41 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 4.55.41 PM.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 89
You can run up St. Helena Sound and anchor behind Monkey Island. Maybe the monkeys will be out. Your two boys would love it!

Thanks for the tip. We're going to play it on the fly tomorrow setting Wassaw Sound as the first possible bailout spot. Trust me I would much rather skip the Georgia ICW due to the tides and the extra distance inside vs outside.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 5.10.25 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 5.10.25 PM.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 625
  • Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 5.15.00 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-01-06 at 5.15.00 PM.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Just in front of you..

[FONT=verdana, arial]Marine Forecasts[/FONT][Add/Remove Locations]Coastal waters from Edisto Beach, SC to Savannah, GA out 20 NMFZUS52 KCHS 062111
CWFCHS
COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC
411 PM EST SUN JAN 6 2013
SOUTH SANTEE RIVER SC TO SAVANNAH GA OUT 20 NM AND SAVANNAH GA TO
ALTAMAHA SOUND GA OUT 60 NM...INCLUDING CHARLESTON HARBOR AND GRAYS
REEF NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY
AMZ352-071215-
WATERS FROM EDISTO BEACH SC TO SAVANNAH GA OUT 20 NM-
411 PM EST SUN JAN 6 2013

[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL]TONIGHT[/FONT]
NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING N 15 KT WITH GUSTS TO
20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 1 FOOT OR LESS...BUILDING 2 TO 3 FT
AFTER MIDNIGHT. LIGHT RAIN LIKELY EARLY.

[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL]MON[/FONT]
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT... BUILDING TO 3 TO 4
FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL]MON NIGHT[/FONT]
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FT...SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 3 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. A
SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT.

[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL]TUE[/FONT]
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN.

Thanks guys! Great to have weather routers onboard:thumb:

No, THank YOu! We are living vicariously through you. I have to go to work tomorrow, you'll be boating, so jealous.

Cruise on!

You going to overtake the Delta Daddyo or stay behind?

I don't follow?

Oh bye the way, Charleston was as always a must stop. Leave yourself a min of two days there. King St is the primary destination but you could spend a lifetime there trying the restaurants.

Winds are staying stubbornly out of the west. Had hoped to have a bit more northerlies by now. No worries just a bit of bumping.

When we were leaving the Charleston channel we passed two ships and were overtaken by two others. When we crossed the stern wake of the second passing ship the waves were so close together that our 8' of the water bow got at least another 10' in the air before slamming into the next wave. My 16yr old had gone to the bow to catch the action but was a bit shocked when suddenly he was looking 20'+ to the water. He quickly squatted down to take the blow and when the wall of green water came over the cap rail he was drenched. It was the deepest this bow has been buried and hopefully ever will!!

Last edited:
We have always enjoyed the Charleston area and the boating people are very friendly. Your trip from Charleston south is still interesting especially if you dare go on the inside through GA.

Am enjoying your updates and your positive Defever comments as I am excited to be flying out east week after next to sea trial and survey a Defever 49 we have under contract.

Safe travels

Well it's 3:20am and this "breeze" which has freshened nicely, is staying much more on the beam then hoped for. 3-4 nasty chop. Trying to tuck in a bit closer to the lee to smooth things out a bit. The moon is coming up which is always welcome as you can better see the waves and anticipate the motion. A change in tack or going inside in the am is the way to go.

Good luck with the 49'. Very nice boats but with that higher CG you might want to seriously consider stabilizers if she doesn't already have them. They are very shippy looking indeed!!

Last edited:
Hi Daddyo.

I'm in St Augustine, and have done the Charleston/St A direct several times.

I see you on the MarineTraffic site, your AIS is loud and clear, I'm curious what unit you have that transmits so well. Class A?

Enjoy the trip.

Hi Daddyo.

I'm in St Augustine, and have done the Charleston/St A direct several times.

I see you on the MarineTraffic site, your AIS is loud and clear, I'm curious what unit you have that transmits so well. Class A?

Enjoy the trip.

Weather isn't going to allow us to make the trip outside. We have some 6-7' sets rolling by fairly often. Going to pop in behind Jekyl Island in a couple of hours. Would have gone in sooner but the tide was opposed in the earlier inlets. Where in St A? The AIS is the free phone app that you can use with marinetraffic.com. Not a true AIS as I'm using cell towers vs VHF or SAT to broadcast.

AIS vis cell phone, I'll have to check that out.

MILLENNIUM is at the Conch House in St Augustine. Nicer place then the City Marina, but a car is needed to go anywhere.

I learned about that cell phone app one day when I was looking at the track of a sailboat that came into Solomons harbor. Then the track went to the grocery store and made a stop a McDonalds. It had me stupped for a while.

I learned about that cell phone app one day when I was looking at the track of a sailboat that came into Solomons harbor. Then the track went to the grocery store and made a stop a McDonalds. It had me stupped for a while.

At least you know where the boat captain is.

I gotta go with MArin on the speed thing. It's gotta be fast.
carboat_380x225.jpg

Of course, the "crusier" club outing would be fun:

carboat.jpg

Back
Top Bottom