View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
BobH
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
We just went through that experience earlier this year. Previously lived aboard and cruised a sailboat for six years. Sold the boat and bought a house. Back in the boat market we found that you get much more boat in a power boat than a sailboat. We really wanted another sailboat, either a cat or pilot house/motor sailor but did nor find anything in our price range.

Found our present boat with two queen size walk around beds and the wife fell in love. I'm still concerend with fuel consumption and how far can we go offshore with 300 gal. I agree with a previous comment, with a sailboat you can always get close to home and call Towboat.

We cruised the sailboat as far south as St.Martin and while that could be done with a power boat I think it would be more stressful in having to plan for fuel stops.

We also did many offshore legs along the East Coast which I don't as yet know that we could manage with the current boat.

As others mentioned, what is he planning to do with the boat. We are currently in a marina off Galveston Bay and as far as going out for a day or a weekend, a sailboat would be more fun because there really is no place to just go to. With a sailboat you can just go out on the Bay and "go sailing". The thought of just going out there and "motoring around" just doesn't appeal to us.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote