Shaft seals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hendo78

Guru
G'day g'day. Just wondering what folks opinions are of Poseidon's Pegasus Dripless shaft seal?

http://www.poseidon-pde.nl/docs/pegasusShaftSeal.pdf

I don't want to keep the stuffing boxes I pulled out and I'm unsure about the PSS Dripless Shaft seals as I've heard arguments for both sides and tend not to want one so has anyone got or seen one of these Pegasus Shaft Seals? They sound like the goods but not seen any videos or seen anyone talking about them despite there 22 year history.

I'm getting close to building the shaft log setup and its different for the Pegasus as its a bolt up plate like the stuffing box i originally had and not a slip on to the shaft tube like the PSS dripless job that I was going to build.

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
G'day g'day. Just wondering what folks opinions are of Poseidon's Pegasus Dripless shaft seal?

I have not used those particular units but we use a lot of similar seals on larger boats. They may be a bit pricey for a small boat and not really be all that cost effective but the Poseidon appears to be well made.

I would use a split style with the "standby seal" so that seal replacement doesn't require a haulout.

I have not used those particular units but we use a lot of similar seals on larger boats. They may be a bit pricey for a small boat and not really be all that cost effective but the Poseidon appears to be well made.

I would use a split style with the "standby seal" so that seal replacement doesn't require a haulout.

Cheers Rick.

iPad Forum Runner

Well it appears I can't use the Pegasus seal as the smallest they do is 50mm and my driveshaft is 45mm

iPad Forum Runner

Hey rick! What is the name of the shaft seals you use and will they suit a 45mm shaft?

iPad Forum Runner

I am not at my office computer so can't access specific model numbers but look at Cederval, Fluiten, Wartsila, Deep Sea, Manefcraft.

Several of them have been bought out by Wartsila in an effort to corner the market and not all of them have models for such a small shaft. There are excellent mechanical seals out there for shafts 2" and above that work really well ... too well to tell the truth, they tend to be ignored until they become a problem.

The clip shows a Fluiten used on a 112' Italian go fast. On this seal a spring (seen as an angled "wire" on the side) helps push the stationary element against the rotating element on the shaft. As thrust increases the shaft tends to move forward away from the stationary element and the spring keeps them in contact. If dirt or salt gum up the shaft or the seal body the movement of the stationary element (sounds weird but that is what it is) is hindered and the leak you see is what happens.

A bit of lube and a couple of screwdrivers to work it back and forth solved the problem.

Hey rick! What is the name of the shaft seals you use and will they suit a 45mm shaft?

If you are convinced you want one of them, sleeve the shaft where it passes through the seal.

If you are convinced you want one of them, sleeve the shaft where it passes through the seal.

Yeah suppose that could be an option.

What about these two? Set ups. Which one is better?

iPad Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-2401354021.jpg
    image-2401354021.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 254
  • image-2306849837.jpg
    image-2306849837.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 122
What about these two?

Personally, I don't like those "dripless" things. For little boats I would much rather use a good old fashioned stuffing box and learn to take care of it.

It isn't hard work or even labor intensive to check that the packing is correctly adjusted and the parts are not corroded away or damaged. Considering the price of a real mechanical seal and the risk of the plastic imitators, a stuffing box is a good investment.

If nothing else, it makes you look at your rotating bits once in a while.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. I'm with Mr. Rick B on this one. K.I.S.S. Keep it simple sailor! Keeping an eye on those "rotating/dangly bits" is generally a good idea.

I agree with RTF and Rick, KISS is the answer. However if you are so inclinded take a look at the Tides Marine Strong Products system. Bill

http://www.poseidon-pde.nl/docs/pegasusShaftSeal.pdf

I don't want to keep the stuffing boxes I pulled out and I'm unsure about the PSS Dripless Shaft seals as I've heard arguments for both sides and tend not to want one so has anyone got or seen one of these Pegasus Shaft Seals? They sound like the goods but not seen any videos or seen anyone talking about them despite there 22 year history.

I'm getting close to building the shaft log setup and its different for the Pegasus as its a bolt up plate like the stuffing box i originally had and not a slip on to the shaft tube like the PSS dripless job that I was going to build.

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

I had a PSS driess installed 16 years ago with excelant results. The bilge has been. bone dry. Enery time we pull I have it checked. The only negative I have heard is the collar slips, but a hose clamp in front fix that concern and a bead of caulking around the collar and shaft. The are very popular in the PNW.

We had the Norscot Dripless Shaft Seal on our previous boat, which had been installed by the PO. We had the boat for 5 years, and I topped off the reservoir once with maybe a cup of ATF when we first bought the boat. Loved it. Never had a worry. Our plan is to install two on this boat.

Norscot Home

Hendo, whatever you do,don`t start with the seal or gland and build the boat around and over it, like IG has done. Think access, access, access.
Because of the access issue I discussed fitting a dripless seal with the shipwright; he was lukewarm about it saying the seals have their own problems.

I'm think'in if the shaft moves very little radially the PSS is fine. If the shaft whips around some only the packing gland will do. But if the shaft needs a little extra support at the head of the stern tube the old packing gland is probably better ther'e too. I'd kinda like to change back myself.

The reason I installed the dripless is it will still not drip when the shaft is bent/out. The diaphram/baff will flex.

I don't want to keep the stuffing boxes I

THe old fashioned stuffing box with modern material Duramax or equal, is as trouble free as a mechanical device can be.

And it can be repacked in place should that ever be required with no flown in parts from a mfg that may be gone.

Hi boys. Lots of great feedback here. I really do appreciate the time you all have taken and the input you all have given. Lots to think about. Thanks again!

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom