Marsh Harbour, Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
In Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas we got a really good deal. Because we were staying at the marina, the fuel was discounted to $5.98/US gal.

I was in the Abacos in 2010 and ask how much fuel one of the big sport fish boats took on at a time and the guy at the fuel dock told me it was not uncomon for them to take on $10,000.00 at a time

i used 5500 gals delivering a 75 ft viking motor yacht from ft laurderdalr to staten island ny.average cost 4.00 dollars a gal,or 22,000 dollars

Hope Town Abaco today diesel $6.13/US gal.

That is about what some cruiser frinds of mine paid in Leverick Bay, Virgin Gorda last month

Moonstruck said:
In Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas we got a really good deal. Because we were staying at the marina, the fuel was discounted to $5.98/US gal.

Is this a good price? I'll cruise to Brasil/Rio next Januery, do you know where can I find cheap fuel?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Is this a good price? I'll cruise to Brasil/Rio next Januery, do you know where can I find cheap fuel?

It was 50 cents to as much as a dollar cheaper than other places in the Abacos. Fuel prices are relative to the area that you cruise in. LarryM will probably be the closest to the area you are speaking of. Maybe he has talked with some cruisers that have recently come from there. Sounds like some interesting cruising coming up for you. Keep us up on your travels.

"Is this a good price? I'll cruise to Brasil/Rio next Januery, do you know where can I find cheap fuel?"

Venezuela

Venezuela has cheap fuel but safety is a real issue, not to be taken lightly, but that's for another thread. Officially, Venezuelans are not to sell to foreign flagged vessels but you can some times buy from local vessels for about $0.50 to $1.00/gallon.

Trinidad has subsidized fuel for the locals at ~$0.89/gallon. Foreign vessels currently pay ~$4.40/gallon. There are 2 fuel pumps at the fuel dock; one for the locals and one for foreigners.

There are some enterprising locals around though. We are getting 500 gallons for $1.78/gallon, in jerry jugs, from one. With out a special permit, the locals can buy up to 100 liters at a time. Our guy goes to 2 stations for 200 liters. A PIA, yes, but for that savings we'll do it and the local makes a good wage in the process.

Last winter there was a Venezuelan vessel that hung around Grenada and was selling good clean diesel for $3.00/gallon. I haven't heard if they are back yet.

I have not heard what the price is in St. Martins. The Dutch side is duty free so fuel could be cheaper.

Pretty much all the Islands in the Caribbean seem to be charging foreigners market rates. St. Croix seems to be on the lower end and Grenada on the higher end. This doesn't include the Bahamas where Don has listed prices.

We'll be heading north this year. Maybe our paths will cross.

A friend of mine already started his cruise to Brazil (I'll go in January) and he wrote to me about the bad quality of diesel he used and suggested to I buy a lot of filters.

A friend of mine already started his cruise to Brazil (I'll go in January) and he wrote to me about the bad quality of diesel he used and suggested to I buy a lot of filters.

You might also want to pick up one of these. West marine sells them or you can just Google "Baja Filters" to find other sources. (Years ago, everyone who cruised in the Sea of Cortez had them.)

Attachments

• Baja Filter.jpg
    Baja Filter.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 149
  • Filter 2.jpg
    Filter 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 152

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom