Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look on the bright side... a fellow with strength enough to support a motor over his head in his left hand (i.e. in pict from days ago - lol) is bound to make a boo boo now and then. This is first real bummer you've reported and even at that successes were inter mixed. Brits say keep a stiff upper lip! I say laugh like hell and get it on! Good Thangs are on the horizon for you and your family regarding Da Boat! :thumb: :dance:

Look on the bright side... a fellow with strength enough to support a motor over his head in his left hand (i.e. in pict from days ago - lol) is bound to make a boo boo now and then. This is first real bummer you've reported and even at that successes were inter mixed. Brits say keep a stiff upper lip! I say laugh like hell and get it on! Good Thangs are on the horizon for you and your family regarding Da Boat! :thumb: :dance:

Cheers Art!
Come to think of it, it must have been my bruit strength that busted the braces and not the ply lololol

On a side note, I Spoke to Boatcraft Pacific today about the mixture consistency pertaining to your email. They said it will work for the fillets but not the glue so ill email you when I'm back at work next week and make arrangements with you if the offer is still there?!

Thanks for the words of support boys!

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Hey Bud,
You are an inspiration to us all; Keep at her! She's coming together nicely. Your bound to have the odd hiccup, but thats all part of the learning curve.

Cheers Art!
Come to think of it, it must have been my bruit strength that busted the braces and not the ply lololol

On a side note, I Spoke to Boatcraft Pacific today about the mixture consistency pertaining to your email. They said it will work for the fillets but not the glue so ill email you when I'm back at work next week and make arrangements with you if the offer is still there?!

Thanks for the words of support boys!

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Hendo, i.e. "Aussie Boat Mauler" - lol!

My tool offer remains ON for you, Cappy! Glad you found from manufacturer that my Pressure Gun tools should work well on injecting fillets. As you can tell, you and your project have become Star attractions on TF. I believe boaters here that can supply an effort reducing and project-quality helpful tool, or lend a hand in any other way, are proud and happy to do so. It's clear to us all... You've got one heck of a boat-rebuild going on and need as much assistance as possible. What I (we) seek is your butt out on the water in your "new" running boat! :thumb: :dance:

This weekend my Admiral and I plan to spend 2-days aboard our Tolly, getting her primed and ready for 2013 – Yea! Next weekend we plan (hope - weather permitting) to be out and about for 3-days aboard Tolly – Double Yea!! :D

Last edited:
are you sealing the plywood before you put it on? I know nothinh about this type of construction but i have used steam to make wood take diferent shapes and releave stress before mounting wooden parts. I was wondering if you were mounting the plywood un sealed maybe you could build a steam box and make the plywood a bit more flexible before forcing it to conform to a curve. Then when it drys it will have set with that shape.
Not sure if this idea has any merit but just a thought.
God speed mate

Hey Bud,
You are an inspiration to us all; Keep at her! She's coming together nicely. Your bound to have the odd hiccup, but thats all part of the learning curve.

Hey mate. Cheers for the kind words and support. Really appreciated!
Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Hendo, i.e. "Aussie Boat Mauler" - lol!

My tool offer remains ON for you, Cappy! Glad you found from manufacturer that my Pressure Gun tools should work well on injecting fillets. As you can tell, you and your project have become Star attractions on TF. I believe boaters here that can supply an effort reducing and project-quality helpful tool, or lend a hand in any other way, are proud and happy to do so. It's clear to us all... You've got one heck of a boat-rebuild going on and need as much assistance as possible. What I (we) seek is your butt out on the water in your "new" running boat! :thumb: :dance:

This weekend my Admiral and I plan to spend 2-days aboard our Tolly, getting her primed and ready for 2013 – Yea! Next weekend we plan (hope - weather permitting) to be out and about for 3-days aboard Tolly – Double Yea!! :D

Heya Art.
Thanks for your generosity and support. Ill show your pressure gun to a few mates that are still in the trade and hopefully you'll get some sales from it. I can be your Australian Distributer :)

I don't know about being a star attraction tho. It's good to see a few regular people commenting and i like it when people leave comments and hopefully I can make some friends out of this.

The main reason I'm going to the effort of posting up here on TF is to show anyone thinking about rebuilding an old timber boat how I am doing it and also show them it's not that hard and to give people a bit of motivation about projects on their boats.

I hope the weather turns out great for you and the admiral. I wanna see pics tho! I don't care if its on here or on your Facebook page! That's what gives me my motivation lol

Cheers mate

Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
are you sealing the plywood before you put it on? I know nothinh about this type of construction but i have used steam to make wood take diferent shapes and releave stress before mounting wooden parts. I was wondering if you were mounting the plywood un sealed maybe you could build a steam box and make the plywood a bit more flexible before forcing it to conform to a curve. Then when it drys it will have set with that shape.
Not sure if this idea has any merit but just a thought.
God speed mate

Hi Bfloyd,
As you've discovered, each sheet is pre-coated with 3ltrs of high solids epoxy. Steaming the boards will not achieve anything in this case but thanks for suggesting it tho!
I will have to build the frame for the superstructure before moulding/forcing/bending the ply on the hull sides. I underestimated the forces and whilst the ply did bend fine, it was too much for the half arsed braces I put in and, well, yeah it didn't turn out how I'd planned.

Cheers anyway for your suggestion

Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Day 18 today. The last day of my holidays and last day of getting dirty before I go back to sitting in my Air-conditioned office lol so she'll slow down a bit now as ill be back to only working on her on Saturdays.

Today a mate and I put the starboard hull panels on. After yesterday's effort I was a bit hesitant but they went on nicely and a beautiful curve emerged.

I jumped up on the floor joists and started to dream about the day of splash down lol. Daggy I know but oh well lol.

There are showers rolling in over the next few days "apparently" so I fitted some polycarbonate roof sheets on the floor joists to stop any water getting in.

I also soaked the end of the keel with a bit of left over high strength epoxy glue and chucked a clamp on where the rudder will sit as it was damaged during the move so I wanted to strengthen it

So yeah that's what i did today

Cheers

Hendo

Attachments

• image-3896474307.jpg
    image-3896474307.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 157
  • image-2841226699.jpg
    image-2841226699.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 152
  • image-969232678.jpg
    image-969232678.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 145
  • image-626616152.jpg
    image-626616152.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 152
  • image-3992199885.jpg
    image-3992199885.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 153
  • image-1941981065.jpg
    image-1941981065.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 167
  • image-1292136445.jpg
    image-1292136445.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 156
  • image-1985314540.jpg
    image-1985314540.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 156
  • image-367868699.jpg
    image-367868699.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image-1043339732.jpg
    image-1043339732.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 142
  • image-426896991.jpg
    image-426896991.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image-2408077776.jpg
    image-2408077776.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 148
  • image-2962998555.jpg
    image-2962998555.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1997852609.jpg
    image-1997852609.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 154
  • image-1738206582.jpg
    image-1738206582.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1601898611.jpg
    image-1601898611.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 150
  • image-691339152.jpg
    image-691339152.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image-4202262735.jpg
    image-4202262735.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 151
  • image-586954609.jpg
    image-586954609.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 152
  • image-3479686225.jpg
    image-3479686225.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 147
  • image-1654381521.jpg
    image-1654381521.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 150
  • image-3110828252.jpg
    image-3110828252.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image-1891362967.jpg
    image-1891362967.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 134
  • image-74291439.jpg
    image-74291439.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 156
  • image-1679771700.jpg
    image-1679771700.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1473719663.jpg
    image-1473719663.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 144
  • image-3134349827.jpg
    image-3134349827.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image-2430988522.jpg
    image-2430988522.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Heya Art.
Thanks for your generosity and support. Ill show your pressure gun to a few mates that are still in the trade and hopefully you'll get some sales from it. I can be your Australian Distributer :)

I don't know about being a star attraction tho. It's good to see a few regular people commenting and i like it when people leave comments and hopefully I can make some friends out of this.

The main reason I'm going to the effort of posting up here on TF is to show anyone thinking about rebuilding an old timber boat how I am doing it and also show them it's not that hard and to give people a bit of motivation about projects on their boats.

I hope the weather turns out great for you and the admiral. I wanna see pics tho! I don't care if its on here or on your Facebook page! That's what gives me my motivation lol

Cheers mate

Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Yo Hondo

As sun rises and we split to spend couple days playing on our Tolly getting her ready for 2013, rain is now planned for all weekend - booo. Also, next weekend may not be available any longer due to family obligation that came up. Some weekend soon though! - Yea And that's da way it goes!! Afraid not too many new TF picts will come from me (maybe a couple), I'm not as into taking picts such as Mark and Marin and you and some others. Facebook - I seldom enter anything myself, but glad to see posts from friends! :socool:

Thanks for going to show Pressure Gun around. Mostly I want it to assist your boat restoration efforts. Be glad to have you as some sort of Aussie distributor - I'm currently working toward deals with a international distributors. Hope to have EZ Build Masonry System tool sales Go Viral - so to say. lol :lol:

Your boat repair motivation is exemplary. Your job is maybe "not that hard" to you, but - to most?? :ermm:

You are a Star - bask in the TF limelight, while you can! I consider you a friend and hope to meet in person some day. :thumb:

Cheers and Happy Boat Daze!! - Art :dance:

Last edited:
Hey hondo, How snug a fit do you have on your fuel tanks.
When I rebuilt my deck I found that the fuel tanks were set in an expanding foam of some sort. The idea being, you don't want them moving.
From the pic they didn't look real secure. setting on those 4x4's
Of course it is hard to tell from the pictures.
Just a thought.

sd

When you get to the bow you may find that two thinner sheets of plywood will be easier to bend and make the turn of the hull. Put one layer on and then apply a layer of expoxie and laminate the second layer.Larry

well Hendo, you sure have opened my eyes. Thank you sir. Cant wait to see the videos of the comming sea trials

Yo Hondo

As sun rises and we split to spend couple days playing on our Tolly getting her ready for 2013, rain is now planned for all weekend - booo. Also, next weekend may not be available any longer due to family obligation that came up. Some weekend soon though! - Yea And that's da way it goes!! Afraid not too many new TF picts will come from me (maybe a couple), I'm not as into taking picts such as Mark and Marin and you and some others. Facebook - I seldom enter anything myself, but glad to see posts from friends! :socool:

Thanks for going to show Pressure Gun around. Mostly I want it to assist your boat restoration efforts. Be glad to have you as some sort of Aussie distributor - I'm currently working toward deals with a international distributors. Hope to have EZ Build Masonry System tool sales Go Viral - so to say. lol :lol:

Your boat repair motivation is exemplary. Your job is maybe "not that hard" to you, but - to most?? :ermm:

You are a Star - bask in the TF limelight, while you can! I consider you a friend and hope to meet in person some day. :thumb:

Cheers and Happy Boat Daze!! - Art :dance:

:-D

iPad Forum Runner

Hey hondo, How snug a fit do you have on your fuel tanks.
When I rebuilt my deck I found that the fuel tanks were set in an expanding foam of some sort. The idea being, you don't want them moving.
From the pic they didn't look real secure. setting on those 4x4's
Of course it is hard to tell from the pictures.
Just a thought.

sd

Hey SD
Thanks for your comment mate. At the moment the tank is not very snug at all. It's in place atm because I am ply sheeting but that's all really. I still need to move it around to so I can paint inside the hull before the floor sheets go on. I'll be using two pack commercial grade marine paint inside the hull so I would like some fresh air so I don't drift off with the fairies haha.

The tank will ultimately rest on the 100x50 jarrah beams as currently seen. I will run two straps over the tank to secure it to those beams but that's all. I want air circulating around the tank as its alloy and they are apparently prone to failure if there is salt water trapped on them (or so I've been told).

I will more than likely paint the tank with some sort of etch primer and top coat to minimise this as pulling the tank out once the boat is built will require a fair bit of mucking around.

Cheers again

Matt

iPad Forum Runner

When you get to the bow you may find that two thinner sheets of plywood will be easier to bend and make the turn of the hull. Put one layer on and then apply a layer of expoxie and laminate the second layer.Larry

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the tip mate. The ply bends ok so I'm not worried about that. The failure resulted due to my excitement to get the sheets on and my failure properly brace and support the bow and ultimately, underestimating the pressures involved in the ply bending.

I have decided to build the superstructure first then sheet the bow. This will ensure there will be no twist in the bow when the sheets go on and that the load is spread evenly. I'm not keen on laminating as I've not done much of it before other than doing backing blocks and as its at the pointy end of the boat I feel it's not a good place to practice.

I will more than likely scarf two sheets together and laminate a back block on with epoxy glue and screws. My thoughts is that the sheets will spread he radius across the length of the joined sheets being 4.8mtrs long and not just one sheet at 2.4mtrs long.

Cheers for you comment and suggestion tho!

Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

we all can hardly wait, Hendo....
And Hendo is certainly not waiting for anything.
Amazing progress, the old Aussie spirit of "giving it a red hot go" in action.

And Hendo is certainly not waiting for anything.
Amazing progress, the old Aussie spirit of "giving it a red hot go" in action.

Cheers Bruce.
Certainly is hot here in WA at the moment old mate. The outside temp at the boat is 42 degrees C. Don't know what's worse, have the sweat running in our eyes or the bloody flies.
Can't do this kind of thing half arsed IMO so its a case of either get stuck in or don't bother.
Thanks for the support mate!

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
Did a little bit on the boat today but the epoxy was setting too quickly so decided to come home and have a few beers and start cleaning the engine components that I'm keeping.

After speaking to the mechanic again yesterday, we have decided that whilst the motor may still be in as new condition and with very little use, we might as well replace the main and big end bearings, replace the seals, replace the rings, replace the lift pump, starter motor, alternator, water pump, replace the two thermostats and run a new upper and lower gasket kit through her while she's apart

I've already got 6 new injectors, a new CAV injector pump and three new heat exchangers and oil coolers. Once he puts the motor back together for me, ill give it a good heavy duty clean then paint her. After that ill fit the alternator, starter motor, oil coolers and all hoses then the wiring then he'll come and get it started and set the timing on the injector pump and after that she'll go in the boat and I'm one step closer.

I did a bit of investigating last night and found a website that gave me the info on my motors age so I was stoked to find out what all the numbers meant. Im proud to say My motor is a 1991 Peterborough (England) built Perkins TW 6.354.4 Im so happy to find out its not the original motor from when she was built back in 1958 :)

Cheers for watching this and offering up suggestions and providing comment of support. Means a lot to me boys so yeah... Thanks :-D

iPad Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-2209637905.jpg
    image-2209637905.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 150
  • image-1993788532.jpg
    image-1993788532.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image-2042663402.jpg
    image-2042663402.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3256722755.jpg
    image-3256722755.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1178012641.jpg
    image-1178012641.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 154
  • image-32291356.jpg
    image-32291356.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 131
  • image-1651932036.jpg
    image-1651932036.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1236214993.jpg
    image-1236214993.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2044238131.jpg
    image-2044238131.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Makes sense renewing internals like rings and bearings with the engine pulled down, but why ancillaries like starter motor and alternator which you can get at if they fail. Unless of course the engine got wet, or something.
The 6354 is a great engine,much like a Lehman in terms of load simplicity and longevity; you are lucky having one. You can get Perkins parts, I think from Perkins Brisbane, and could surely get them from UK.
I quite like the look of the Integrity 380, but for some reason the dealer`s demo, which is for sale, has black breezeway covers aft doing very little for the appearance. The aft saloon entry glass doors open and ingeniously swing up to the "ceiling", giving a great open air feel and huge entertaining cockpit.

Last edited:
Bruce,
I think the Seawind 1100 had saloon doors like that.
Certainly do open up the entrance.
Perkins parts are redially available in Bris and not expensive. Apparently not cheap in the US.
If you renew the starter I would still rebuild the old one as a spare.
Starter motor is one of my must carry spare parts being a single engine man.

Makes sense renewing internals like rings and bearings with the engine pulled down, but why ancillaries like starter motor and alternator which you can get at if they fail. Unless of course the engine got wet, or something.
The 6354 is a great engine,much like a Lehman in terms of load simplicity and longevity; you are lucky having one. You can get Perkins parts, I think from Perkins Brisbane, and could surely get them from UK.
I quite like the look of the Integrity 380, but for some reason the dealer`s demo, which is for sale, has black breezeway covers aft doing very little for the appearance. The aft saloon entry glass doors open and ingeniously swing up to the "ceiling", giving a great open air feel and huge entertaining cockpit.

Hi Bruce,
She's out in the open so I may as well do the ancillaries. The motor has never been wet so Ill be cleaning those items up, get them serviced and keep them on board as spares.
There is a place called diesel spares in Welshpool, here in Perth. The shop is about 15mins from my place and sell all genuine Perkins parts :-D and at a reasonable price.

iPad Forum Runner

Bruce,
I think the Seawind 1100 had saloon doors like that.
Certainly do open up the entrance.
Perkins parts are redially available in Bris and not expensive. Apparently not cheap in the US.
If you renew the starter I would still rebuild the old one as a spare.
Starter motor is one of my must carry spare parts being a single engine man.

Agreed and is exactly what I will be doing :). As well as the alternator and water pump etc

www.dieselspares.com.au which is my local parts shop is really cheap on their genuine perkins parts. They have a special on atm and are selling brand new genuine perkins water pumps for $190.00 while other perkins shops in Perth are selling them at $239.00.

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
Matt'
When you secure the fuel tank(s?), be sure to place some sort of non absorbent strips under the tanks and under the straps. I pulled an aluminum tank out of a past boat that had been foamed in place. The foam had trapped moisture and pinholed the tank. Prior to installing the new tank, I enlaged the limber holes in the stringer, sealed the wood with epoxy, then attached strips of starboard to the tanks with 3M 5200. I had tabs on the top of the tank to secure it in place.
Just a thought....
Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom