Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Your correct, but Steve has been their done that and a lot can be learned from his experiences rather than our conjecture on a laptop. I have not read the book (yet) but it is on my shortlist. It is considered a must read for offshore types. I do offshore in my proffession, but am a coastal type in my hobbies.
I'd hardly consider my experience as "armchair"..unless he's been in hundreds of shipwrecks and or saved the people from those shipwrecks or debriefed thousands of survivors from boating accidents....well...I have

Plus 4 military survival schools and 15 years teaching with the best "Survival at sea"...

Here's his claim to fame from the website..

History. David Hulbert was challenged by the dangers of sailing his catboat in the icy waters of Maine’s Casco Bay and further offshore, with a small child aboard. Always thinking of safety, he realized that in rough weather, his standard dinghy would be useless as a self-rescue boat, and though lifejackets might keep everyone afloat, hypothermia would set in in minutes.
He needed a yacht tender and he needed a lifeboat. Why not design a yacht tender that could save your life?
The rest is history.

Not saying the Pudgy isn't a great tool...but you better have more than one tool...including a great mind/plan for survival... in your toolbox...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote