Thread: Tandem anchors
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
My boat is 30' and 16000lbs disp. The usual serious anchor weight recommended by most authorities will fall in at around 30 lbs w another 30 lbs of chain. Sixty pounds of rode is just too much to pull for most people.
You're assuming most people retrieve their anchor and rode by hand. I think you will find that most people who own boats like most of us have on this forum have windlasses, either powered or manual. As such, it doesn't matter how much your tackle weighs as long as the windlass can handle it.

There is the issue of what to do if the windlass fails. If it simply won't run, the obvious solution is to have a windlass with a manual retrieve method as a backup. Our Tigres has this as do a lot of other electric windlasses.

If the windlass lunches a gear or two--- it happened to us with the no-name horizontal windlass that came with the boat---- that can present a problem if the anchor and rode are too heavy to retrieve by hand. But I believe that unless one has a poorly made windlass or severely overloads their good windlass this possibility is so remote as to be all but ignored.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote