Patching a fender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
Anybody have any luck patching a fender. I have a small cut in one of mine.

If it is Taylormade. Just return it to West Marine.
Get a new one. Free! whoo hoo!!

sd

PVC cement and an old piece of PVC from another fender, or wherever.

Even if you can not patch it, it still can be used as a temporary protection. I use them to hang from the swim platform as the bend over the teak wood and hand down. Why spend hundred of dollars when a old deflated fender will do. :flowers:

I buy most of our fenders from second hand/swap meets so we usually have extra anyway. I mean the first time you use them they are used? :thumb:

Being a live aboard I also keep an eye open for dock protection and bumpers left behind. I got my eye on a 2 ft round ball that would work great on my dock. Before I take it I will ask the marina of the slip is vacant. :angel:

Cut open the fender the long way, and it makes a great quiet , non marring tool box.

Well I've got 4 West Marine stores within 30 minutes, so I'm gonna try and return it and see what happens. I'll post my results.

FF, creating a tool box out of a fender is creative. You probably don't rid of much stuff!!

West Marine did replace it on the first try. However they did so as a courtesy as the Taylor policy is to replace if it is worn not if it is punctured as mine was.

West Marine did replace it on the first try. However they did so as a courtesy as the Taylor policy is to replace if it is worn not if it is punctured as mine was.

But they get great mileage by what they just did.

I sell Taylor fenders in my store and Taylor is a class act. Their warranty doesn't cover punctures but I've never had them refuse to credit me for one we've exchanged. It doesn't cost West Marine or any Taylor dealers anything to do the exchange. Taylor doesn't even ask us to ship the fenders back. Sometimes they ask us to cut out the damaged portion and send that back to them so they can keep track of why they're giving away so many fenders.

Please don't start putting holes in dirty fenders so you can get a new one. If the returns get excessive they'll get tough and we'll all lose this very nice service.

Please don't start putting holes in dirty fenders so you can get a new one. If the returns get excessive they'll get tough and we'll all lose this very nice service.[/QUOTE]

Darn.

What are you psychic? I just sharpened my stiching all.

SD

Back
Top Bottom