View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Steve
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Shoot through hull transducer

I would like to mention that I installed a shoot through the hull transducer today. I tried locating a good spot which would give me an accurate reading, first I used a ziplock bag filled with water against the hull, and*pressed the transducer down*on it (I had read somewhere this would work to locate*a spot) but I got wildly fluctuating numbers. I had also read about using a glob of toilet wax ring wax to hold the transducer in place instead of epoxy etc. so I got*a*wax ring, it*was too cold at first so I stuck it in the microwave on defrost for about 3- 4 miutes and it became pliable. I made a golfball or a bit bigger sized ball* placed it in a likely* looking spot and presed the transducer down on it holding the transducer bottom parallel with the water level. It immediately began marking a number which is correct for the slip and stayed steady.* So, I feel this will be a good solution to that problem. My transducer is located in an out of the way, well protected area so doubtfull it will be knocked off of the wax. It remains to be seen how the wax will hold up in our hot weather and hotter engine rooms. I had read the water will keep the hull cool enough to stop the wax from softening, but, the water around here gets pretty hot in summer so we'll see about that.
The depth finder is a Humminbird 610 digital readout*which will serve as a standby unit.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Wednesday 16th of December 2009 07:38:54 PM
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote