6000miles to Rio in 2 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm from the lock the shaft camp also...whenever a USCG cutter lost an engine/motor...they locked the shaft too because of drag (maybe tranny too...but every engineer agreed the drag burned a lot of extra fuel)

If I run with one engine and the other one just in idle to lubricate.

How must I checkout from the States?

How must I checkout from the States?

I don't think anyone cares if you leave. Not to make it sound as if I'm being snide or rude, but I've never knowingly gone through customs when leaving the US. Get on the plane and go, get in the car and drive. Never left the US by boat before, but there's always a first.

If you want to be sure you won't be hunted down for not filing Form 2346.3(b) (or whatever) contact the Coast Guard and see if there is anything you need to do.

When I arrive in the States, the customs attach to my Passport a little withe piece of paper thats the air company got when we depart.
Must I deliver this paper to the customs?

When I arrive in the States, the customs attach to my Passport a little withe piece of paper thats the air company got when we depart.
Must I deliver this paper to the customs?

I am assuming you are traveling on a Brazilian passport not US so I would stop at Customs and Immigrations before departure. If you ever return to the US or have to renew your visa, your passport may be flagged if you haven't closed the loop. These agencies, both have long memories which is even more reason to go see them.

I don't think anyone cares if you leave...
In most cases this is correct, when you leave by boat. The arrival country is where the problem is. Once you get out of North America most counties require a zarpe or a copy (s) of your check out paper work and crew lists (with a minimum of 6 months remaining on everyones passports) before they will allow you to land. As US citizens, countries such as Brazil, NZ, OZ and some others require that you have a valid VISA in addition to a zarpe prior to your arrival.

Last edited:
If I run with one engine and the other one just in idle to lubricate.

About 50% of the RPM the engine that is moving the boat would have least drag for the "ideling ' engine.

US citizens do not have to clear outbound , but you will.

Usually its a trip to the INTL local air port , perhaps a trip to the customs office.

Call customs to find out where.

Almost anywhere you go will ask to see the departure clearence from your last stop.

Get used to clearing in & out , you will do it almost everywhere.

Also get a courtesy flag for each country you plan on visiting.

The fine for not having one may be high.

Bon Voyage!

Question: Lightning Rod. Is it important ? I don't see in other boats but a friend of mine got a lightning and burned all of his electronics.

Question: Lightning Rod. Is it important ? I don't see in other boats but a friend of mine got a lightning and burned all of his electronics.

Your traveling during the winter, so no lightning/thunderstorms this time of the year north of the equator. Once you get toward Brazil maybe, but as RT hints, there are other things that are important to think (worry) about. :)

What's your departure date?

January 21

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Attched is an aticle on freewheeling vs locked shaft that says, "lock the shaft". Body

For sailboats it does, but: "Consider the case of a faiths twin screw motorboat... in this case it is clearly better to allow the idle shaft to revolve."

Sergio, was thinking of you today wondering if you left?

I hope you update when you can and document your trip for those of us that are not on board with you. Good luck on your voyage.

I started yesterday my trip and we're documenting by pictures and video but how can I post?

I started yesterday my trip and we're documenting by pictures and video but how can I post?

Post the web site for us to follow.

:)
Wishing you God speed

You can upload the pix to your forum cp then link them into a post here

Britt

The wind guru said that will have 10/11 knots as wind and we crossed the Golf Stream with almost 18/20 knots as North wind , not the best :) but good tho check the engines, the boat and the crew. Now I'm writing in Nassau. My girl is good until now, the temperature and oil pressures working well.

Greetings,
Crossing the Gulf Stream in a 20 kt. north wind? This is going to be an interesting thread. Take GREAT care Mr. Sergio. We don't want to read that you didn't end up in RIO.

Sergio, if you can handle the steep frequent waves encountered in the
Gulf Stream without problems, the longer ocean swells should be a piece of cake for you. Fairwinds and smooth seas to you.

Greetings,
Crossing the Gulf Stream in a 20 kt. north wind? This is going to be an interesting thread. Take GREAT care Mr. Sergio. We don't want to read that you didn't end up in RIO.

But dosent the gulf strem flow northward? 20kt north wind?/....I would think that is gonna be hairy to say the least

God speed Sergio

I did almost the same trip in 2000. Gulf Coast to 100 nm off from Macae, Brazil. Non stop, but slow 80 to 90 nm days. The rig is a dynamically positioned vessel using (6) 5,000 hp electric thrusters to hold position, but we used the services of a tug for this re-positioning of the rig. This is the Noble Paul Wolff, I served on from the 1999 shipyard refit to 2002 off shore Brazil drilling for Petrobras.
img_130090_0_8bc93504a06e782b2011e1157bec5c76.jpg

I did almost the same trip in 2000. Gulf Coast to 100 nm off from Macae, Brazil. Non stop, but slow 80 to 90 nm days. The rig is a dynamically positioned vessel using (6) 5,000 hp electric thrusters to hold position, but we used the services of a tug for this re-positioning of the rig. This is the Noble Paul Wolff, I served on from the 1999 shipyard refit to 2002 off shore Brazil drilling for Petrobras.
img_130096_0_8bc93504a06e782b2011e1157bec5c76.jpg

What nice calm water. But no land in the background? But I guess that dosent mater kinda like southern California seas in the summer time flat, placid, serene, huh?

What nice calm water. But no land in the background? But I guess that dosent mater kinda like southern California seas in the summer time flat, placid, serene, huh?

About 200 miles north of Suriname, ballasted for transit as you can see the thruster caps sticking up above the lower hulls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom