Does anybody have any idea......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAT

Guru
Vessel Name
Just a Tinch
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44 MC
Here's my situation.... I have a pair of 30 something year old Perko raw water strainers for my Perkins 6.354's....have found that one of them has a leaking cleanout/drain fitting on the bottom...and trying to adjust it...it crumbled, and the fitting on the opposite strainer is leaking as well.....

The replacement bottom plate for the Perko....is about $200.00 :eek:. Now, there are two other options... One is to purchase a pair of the same sized raw water strainers made by Buck Algonquin....each of which costs less than the part for the Perko....but looks identical....

Or, purchase two Vetus FTR330's that are all Polyethlene with a polycarbonate top....

OK, Vetus says the FTR330 has a flow rate of 38 GPM....but no other manufacturer gives any gpm flow rate....

I can't even find a gpm flow rate for the Jabsco 3193 raw water pump....

Does anyone have an idea what the maximum flow rate for the raw water pump on an 6.354 Natural is?? I don't want to put a filter with too small of a flow rate on.....

Thanks!

JAT, If your Perko raw water strainers are like mine, then the bottom drain is a small plug with a tapered thread. These are sometimes made of brass and tend to suffer from electrolysis. When they fail the zinc has been leached out and all that is left is crumbly copper. If the bottom plate is in reasonable condition, there is no need to replace the whole strainer. Just replace the failed plugs with bronze ones which are much less reactive. Use the same size if the threaded holes in the plates are in good shape. If the holes are a bit gnarley, go to the next size up. A tapered pipe tap of the appropriate size is a good investment as it makes cleaning the female threads a breeze.

boatpoker - two minds with a single thought eh?

Why can't you use a PVC type pipe plug. No more corrosion. pipe tape an small open end wrench with just your wrist behind the torque.

Considering the previous plug may have lasted up to 30 years, chasing the threads with a tap and replacing with a plastic or bronze or even a brass plug should do just fine.

If brass makes you nervous, just change them every year or so.

OR read how to measure the amount of stray electric on your dock , from your boat underway or from the noisemaker or inverter...

You may be the source of the dissolving problem.

OR read how to measure the amount of stray electric on your dock , from your boat underway or from the noisemaker or inverter...

You may be the source of the dissolving problem.

My zincs last quite a long time....and I am equipped with a good galvanic isolator.

As far as I can tell...the plugs are 34 years old.

To the others: I really wondered about replacing the plug with something else....I'll look and see what I can come up with....would certainly save a few bucks!!

I did more research...and found that the FTR330 from Vetus has to be mounted 6" above the waterline... I guess it has to do with the plastic top on the cannister....possibly cracking and leaking into the bilge....or worse.

Thanks everyone!!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom