Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He believe he is correct.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 12.32.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 12.32.26 PM.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 699
Just ahead of you..

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 1.14.01 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 1.14.01 PM.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 1.15.35 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 1.15.35 PM.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 165
Daddyo, find you a cove and anchor up. A 60' sportfisherman can handle that stuff. If it was bad for him, lookout.

Yep 6-7 many on the beam. Strange nobody else out here on this sunny day.

ForumRunner_20121230_160347.jpg

When do you plan be in the Neuse?

More of this, but starting to make the turn in.

ForumRunner_20121230_162413.jpg

On a related note. Guys put the toilet lid down even when your alone as s#$t might slide off the counter into the head :-(

Hatteras Inlet or Oregon? Both, as far as I know, are impassable. Oregon Inlet is so shallow, the dredge can't even get to it. And last time I looked, Hatteras Inlet doesn't even have a marked channel.

Well, if you are in the area, we might be in Oriental next weekend. And if Skinny Dippin' will actual splash on Friday, I will be down Wednesday if you want to grab a few drinks.

Hatteras Inlet or Oregon? Both, as far as I know, are impassable. Oregon Inlet is so shallow, the dredge can't even get to it. And last time I looked, Hatteras Inlet doesn't even have a marked channel.

Well, if you are in the area, we might be in Oriental next weekend. And if Skinny Dippin' will actual splash on Friday, I will be down Wednesday if you want to grab a few drinks.

Thanks guys!
I'll keep in touch if I'm still around by then. I would think I would be south but who knows.

Thanks guys!
I'll keep in touch if I'm still around by then. I would think I would be south but who knows.

Daddyo, Diamond Shoals as I remember it extend about 12 miles off shore. Giving the iffy inlets and known treacherous waters, I don't think you would lose too much time running down Pamlico Sound to the Neuse and hang a left at Adams Creek. Beaufort Inlet is excellent. It is also below Cape Lookout Shoals. When you go out there you are already headed nearly due South.

That toilet seat tip is one of the better tips I have ever read on this forum!

Todays shot is the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse on Roanoke Island, Manteo, NC. Site of the lost colony. Happy New Year!

ForumRunner_20121231_141243.jpg

Water looks a little friendlier today! :thumb: Next Stop Morehead City? Then offshore to Masonboro Inlet or will you over night underway??

Happy New Year!!

Might overnight to Beaufort starting tomorrow afternoon then offshore to Charleston. Just depends on the weather.

And what other 36-???? couldn't do the same?

And what other 36-???? couldn't do the same?

Our prior boat was a Marine Trader 36 sedan, arguably one of MT's finest designs and though I have been in huge seas in her (November gale) she wouldn't have been safe in yesterdays conditions. In fact I'm fairly certain she would have rolled in three of the sets I encountered. Sunchaser is simply boasting of the confidence of a fellow DF48 owner. What isn't fully appreciated by many is the very low center of gravity of this design combined with her nearly fully displacement hull and her weight. Yes these are mighty little ships as are many of the other models/brands represented on this forum. A little pride in one's boat is a good thing and should be supported. Hey, in the end if you know your reasonably safe in doing so then by all means go for it! This isn't a dress rehearsal.

Attachments

• on the hard.jpg
    on the hard.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Daddyo said:
"What isn't fully appreciated by many is the very low center of gravity of this design combined with her nearly fully displacement hull and her weight."

psneeld - :thumb: And not to mention the 60,000# displacement is helped by the extra heavy engine down low as compared to a single. If the hull design and D/L ratios are right the extra engine is a lot better than dead Pb ballast that similar sized vessels such as KK and Selene install. Plus great big rudders on the twin engined DF 48 help to buck the following seas. :dance:

Daddyo said:
"What isn't fully appreciated by many is the very low center of gravity of this design combined with her nearly fully displacement hull and her weight."

psneeld - :thumb: And not to mention the 60,000# displacement is helped by the extra heavy engine down low as compared to a single. If the hull design and D/L ratios are right the extra engine is a lot better than dead Pb ballast that similar sized vessels such as KK and Selene install. Plus great big rudders on the twin engined DF 48 help to buck the following seas. :dance:

but your comment didn't particularly reflect any specific weather just his future runs ...which are easily done by about any trawler here...and even if snotty..most could do it even if not as comfortably as a 48 Defever.;)

Agreed. On that note I would like to try and turn this thread back to my original intent which was a visual ICW trip for those who haven't made the trip and might like to tag along for the ride.

Sounds good, when are you getting underway?
Which route?

Safe voyage.

Should be underway this afternoon. Pamlico sound to Adams Creek on an overnight to Beaufort in the AM. Rain today with moderate winds. If weather permits I will go offshore at Beaufort. My daughter will be with me on this leg so overnights will be much easier :dance:

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

Looking forward to your "play by play" of crossing the Pamlico from Roanoke Island!

Looking forward to your "play by play" of crossing the Pamlico from Roanoke Island!

It really should be a very quiet overnight. Not much to show in today's pic. Taken just off Wanchese, NC the home of several yacht builders. Sorry but it looks the flag got a little tattered in yesterdays winds. I'll get that straightened out asap.

Here is a better one of the Bodie Island Lighthouse.

Attachments

• 1-1-13.jpg
    1-1-13.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 1-1-13 (2).jpg
    1-1-13 (2).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 134
  • P1080015.jpg
    P1080015.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Interesting you don't throw much wake. How fast in the above picture off your stern?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom