View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #42
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
How antiquated am I! I have an older Lowrance chart unit that has a very slow rotation cycle. The Navonics (sp) is a schedule 1 or something, it is not common anymore I know that. What I miss from my last boat which had a Interphase unit and really only use, is speed over ground, & "go to". neither are on this machine.
I am interested in the discussion of using an ipad with GPS. Sure enough, when I spoke with the very young sales rep, I, as usual, glazed over eyes and ears that don't comperhend the technical speak. Convinced that a 16 'gig'(?) will suffice. Yet, as I am android with my phone and home computer, it sounds like I am treading towards Apple with the ipad.
Simple inquire: Is there a android pad? Could I obtain a couple of suggestions on programs that will give me both 'speed over ground' and "Go To"? To, I'd like normal NOAA chart presentation, not the mickey mouse screen as the Interphase used.

Forgive me for being as far behind as it appears. Just a simple boater who still references paper charts, dividers, and compass rose spread bars.
Just want to see from where to there and how long.
A.M.Johnson
27 Marben pocket trawler
Al is offline   Reply With Quote