Thanks for your help with Mango Mama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarryP

Vessel Name
Mango Mama
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36
I was just perusing some of the threads I've participated in and realized I've received a lot of help from members on this forum. We bought Mango Mama about 21 months ago and immediately jumped into a lot of work refurbishing and improving.

I've forgotten all the stress and strain and remember the joy and satisfaction. We've used Mango Mama a little but ours plans have changed and she's on the market again already.

Thanks for all the advice and assistance. Keep posting about the good times so we can enjoy vicariously.

Mango Mama

Last edited:
Gary, good luck with whatever the new plan is. Care to enlighten...? Also, what is/was Mango Mama, in terms of vessel type, manufacturer etc.., and what were some of the things you did..? Always interesting...

Hi Peter,

Mango Mama is a 1987 Krogen 36 Manatee and a great liveaboard and coastal cruiser. She was in sound condition and the engine and generator had low hours. The interior carpentry was excellent except for a few roughly cut holes with residential vent covers.

After fixing an aggravating link we refurbished the interior with new furniture, upholstery, and mattress. We replaced most of the water system except for water heater and accumulator. The entire septic system was replaced with an electric toilet and new holding tank; also added a Purasan sanitizing treatment system for direct discharge.

The galley and head now have quartz countertops with brushed nickel fixtures. There's a new propane stove and AC/DC refrigerator/freezer. Also, a residential type scald proof shower valve.

I replaced the AC unit and flex ducting and added a UV air purifier. The windows were upgraded with heavy duty aluminum frame windows with safety glass which were fitted to the openings much better than the originals.

Mechanically she was in great shape and came with dual Racors and a separate fuel filtration system. I added a large high efficiency air filter and a dripless shaft seal and line cutter. Also, I had the old batteries replaced with AGM type.

The exterior trim was stripped down to the beautiful old growth teak and revarnished. The wide cap rail has been maintained with varnish. To reduce maintenance, the deck and pilothouse trim varnish was painted over with a metallic brown that takes a close look to tell it's not varnished wood. The cabin, pilothouse and deck were just refinished with white two-part Emron.

There's a lot more at our website Mango Mama. I'm sad to see her go but my wife's health and our finances dictate that we won't be able to keep her.

Well, yes, very sad you have to part with her after all that work and under those circumstances. I can easily imagine how you must feel, as I suspect I also will be forced to sell Lotus when I retire, as I will not be able to afford the upkeep. Never gets any cheaper does it..?

Happy news - we decided to keep Mango Mama. We will also be moving in March to a little house on the Homosassa River with a dock where we can keep her right out back. We're both looking forward to having her easily available for regular maintenance and quick sunset cruises.

I've added a post to the classified ad but I can't figure out how to change the "For Sale" prefix. Any ideas?

We got your back. I added **RETRACTED** to your listing and closed the thread.

Glad you worked it out to keep her!

Back
Top Bottom