FREE Chart Favorite Site?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
I understand there are many downloadable charts on line for FREE.

As a backup, an old computer with a cheap GPS would suit my purposes.

Any reason to select a specific site?

MY ICW paper charts are getting hard to use as so many nav aids have been added since the 60's the numbering changes are 1/2 dozen deep at some places.

The water is basically the same , so I mostly will keep the paper charts and use the electronic for new numbers.

TIA

NOAA makes it easy....get free downloadable cost pilots and light list too.

Raster Navigational Charts: NOAA RNCs

they and a cheap laptop plus $29 usb gps got me from Fla to NJ and is taking me back in big screen style.

Read the "Charplotter my way" thread.The Polar View is nearly free and it makes for a legit chartplotter charting package.

Read the "Charplotter my way" thread.The Polar View is nearly free and it makes for a legit chartplotter charting package.

Not sure what you are referring to as "legit"???

I'm using OpenCPN that I thought was "legit"...it works great and is free.

Just meant that it was better then a "back up" is all. I'll take a look at OpenCPN as well, thanks.

Yep... Polar View is a pretty good program. I use it with free USCG charts on our lower helm and like it.

I bought Fugawi and ended up chucking it in favour of OpenCPN. If you haven't checked out O lately give it another look because it has evolved a lot just in the 2 years we have been using it. We still have to buy our charts for Canadian waters but if you only ever boat in US waters O can be a totally free solution. (Mind you the decent thing to do is to support the project by sending them a few shekels.)

Back
Top Bottom