What's the best trawler show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikesacs

I'd like to attend one of the annual trawler/boat shows. Any suggestions on which one would have the most trawler information and trawlers to view?

Thanks,
Mike

There is a Trawlerfest in Anacortes, WA which is good, but I find the Seattle Boat Show to be even better, there is a huge floating display on Lake Union.

Solomons Trawlerfest at least USED to be the best, but it's been a long time and I haven't been back since it has new owners. Also, I enjoyed the powerboat show at Annapolis, but it's not strictly trawlers.

Depends on why you want to go. if you are looking for a boat then we would say don't go.
We went to the Solomon's and the power boat show in Annapolis to see trawlers but were disappointed in the fact that it was only the major players there like Krogen, Nordhavn, Selene and a few one offs to look at. Nice vessels but way out of our price range. We ended up getting a good broker, telling him the type of boat we were looking for and what we were going to use it for. We looked at maybe 30 types on yacht world, picked 15 different styles to look at and were able to narrow our search to one make of boat. It was just a matter of time after that.
I think now what I would go to one of the annual get together of loopers or other cruising organization. You will be welcomed warmly and be able to see boats that are being used, not staged and talk to the people who actually use the boats. You will see immediately what the boat looks like when all the "stuff" is on board :eek: and not just a few magazines and flowers. You will see far more styles of boats and the owners will tell you the positives and negatives of their style of boat and generally they are not trying to sell their boat. These groups and seeing the boats being used will give you far more knowledge and fun than the Shows.

Yea... To me, Trawlerfest seems like a scam. Perhaps a bit of a strong word to use and I apologize for that. It's such a specialized thing, it's like a meeting of Miata owners. The vendor turnout is weak and the attendance doesn't increase very much each year. I see it as just a good excuse for a few boat owners to look at a few boats and agree they like their boat choice. I suppose that MAYBE, just maybe, that is all TF is supposed to be about. I would agree with the above assessment that a big show like Miami FLL or Annapolis will give you all that Trawlerfest can provide, PLUS a whole lot more. TF really needs to look at piggy-backing on one of the bigger shows. Perhaps holding TF in FLL while the Miami show is going on, or in Miami when FLL is going. If I wanted to stand around a few easy-up tents, grab a few pamphlets about the MTOA, gab with a few people about trawlers only, and get a free t-shirt, TF would be the place. I guess I am too pessimistic about it, but if I were shopping for anything boating related, I would hit the major shows.

Unless you plan to buy a new boat, forget the shows!!
Take a trip to Florida with a copy of possible Yacht World listings. You will be able to see as many used trawlers for sale as you can stomach!!

TrawlerFest moved from Solomon's Island to Baltimore a few years ago. I've been to both a few times. There did seem to be more used boats at the shows years ago than there are now. I recall some brouhaha over a rule change about if one wanted to show their boat they had to pay a fee or engage a broker or something along those lines. I didn't pay much attention, but now I wonder if that's why there are less used boats at TF. There are always a few and almost always one that strikes my fancy. Like this one that was at this year's show: 2003 A.F. Theriault & Son Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That price strikes me as a bit much. Certainly above my pay grade.

The Pacific NorthWest is always great, but if you fall in love it could be along trip to bring her home. Or you just might stay there as you will never run out of places to go, sites to see and the cleanest water in the US.

Yes, I would also recommend groups such as MTOA or AGLCA. They won't have boats for sale nor will they have the manufactur sales reps but you can probably get a look at most of the popular trawlers available, talk to the owners, and get tours.

I am not interested in buying a new boat, just learning about trawlers and cruising. I've wanted to do one of the boat shows just help me learn more.

Years ago my wife and I attended a log home show before we built our own log home. We used it to learn new things, research techniques, and affirm our choice in construction styles without ever having the intention of buying a log home. That's the idea for us. I just didn't want to end up at huge boat show full of speed boats and pontoons!

Thanks for all the opinions and still welcome more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom