Propulsion Alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK I'll Bite.

The wind energy is blowing the boat backwards and driving a generator that in turn is driving a motor that is driving the boat into the wind. How does the boat motor motor into the wind with much less energy than it's taking from the wind. And I forgot to mention the energy lost going from wind energy to mechanical energy through gears shafts and bearings before it gets to the motor. And of course there's the energy lost at the propeller changing the mechanical energy into thrust by rotating a screw slipping around in water.

If all of that was 100% efficient the boat could stand in place under power.

Just think about all that rigging you would destroy going down the fairway with that prop flapping all over the place

I'm guessing the exhaust water coming from the engines would help.

I'll swallow my words.

Last edited:
OK I'll Bite.

The wind energy is blowing the boat backwards and driving a generator that in turn is driving a motor that is driving the boat into the wind. How does the boat motor motor into the wind with much less energy than it's taking from the wind. And I forgot to mention the energy lost going from wind energy to mechanical energy through gears shafts and bearings before it gets to the motor. And of course there's the energy lost at the propeller changing the mechanical energy into thrust by rotating a screw slipping around in water.

If all of that was 100% efficient the boat could stand in place under power.

North Western Washington State USA

Eric,

Your way smarter than the average politician. I sure do love it when people apply common sense. Sense is not common, I wonder who came up with that saying?

I'd guess that the boat is electric-driven. Both big and small windmills generate electricity. Can't see how such a boat can go directly into the wind unless it's drawing down battery power.

there's been several versions that have worked just fine...rethink the "common sense" version and you would see WHY they work (just like how regular sail work and add a drivetrain).

They do work although I haven't seen one that I would buy over a regular sailboat.

The last version I saw used a vertical rotating cylinder "turbine" to provide the mechanical propulsion...can't find the pic but it was in several boating mags years ago...

there's been several versions that have worked just fine...rethink the "common sense" version and you would see WHY they work (just like how regular sail work and add a drivetrain).

They do work although I haven't seen one that I would buy over a regular sailboat.

The last version I saw used a vertical rotating cylinder "turbine" to provide the mechanical propulsion...can't find the pic but it was in several boating mags years ago...

Alcyone

Contrary to popular belief, they do work. A low cost land yacht named "Blackbird" has officially recorded speed of 2.8 X wind speed going downwind using this principle; and 2.0 X wind speed traveling directly into the wind.

Faster: Can a wind-powered craft move faster than the wind that pushes it? (Wired UK)

A boat would never achieve the same efficiency but then again, this is very early days for this "new" technology.

Spot on Rick.

And the first alternate propulsion system offered (by me) was gasoline.

It's an option that works.

And works better than diesel in most respects.

How would an oil boiler work. Are there no high tech boilers and steam engines? Certainly there must be improvements since the days of the Stanley.

Alcyone's "sails" don't drive any mechanical propulsors. They only generate lift, no comparison.

Yes on that baby...that wasn't the one I had in mind...

I'm pretty sure someone had one on an upper 20 foot or 30 something sailboat driving a prop... maybe 20 years ago.

It was reviewed favorably...even though it really never got any further because sails still were more effective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom