replacing a window in our Defever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You relly don't need to buy the window from Defever or any specialized supplier. You will need to pull the window, take it to your local glass company and have them determine which is best suited for your needs. They should be able to use the old glass as a pattern and cut you a new one. We had 3 windows in our Marine Trader replaced this way. It was simple and relatively inexpensive. See our posts,
The Trawler Beach House: Leaking Window Repair Update

Hope this helps. Chuck

Greetings,
I think Mr. PC has stated the reason for the crack in this case-differential temperatures ie: thermal stress. Glass is a wondrous material but will break due to stress or strain. ANY surface or edge defect (flaw) is a potential site for crack propagation. It could be that the window frame was a bit tight or off level and the added heat simply exacerbated the existing flaw thus generating a crack. I would replace the offending panel with laminated glass as opposed to tempered.

Sorry, I forgot to put "tempered" in my comment about breaking into lots of pieces.

Another thing to know about tempered glass is that it cannot be cut. A regular piece of glass has to be cut, then sent off to be tempered. This will add some time to the process vs. just going down to the glass shop and getting something cut to size. If you try to cut a piece of tempered glass, it'll probably explode on you. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom