Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
The layover is complete and headed to the keys. Leaving Deltaville, VA this morning in a moderate rain.

As always you can track us at http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
Vessel search is Grace
MMSI # 913030566.

Any recommended marinas for the keys or the Biscayne area would be appreciated. Going to stay tied to a dock for a month in mid to late Jan to give the admiral a bit of a treat.

Last edited:
The layover is complete and headed to the keys. Leaving Deltaville, VA this morning in a moderate rain.

As always you track us at Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions
Vessel search is Grace
MMSI # 913030566.

Any recommended marinas for the keys or the Biscayne area would be appreciated. Going to stay tied to a dock for a month in mid to late Jan to give the admiral a bit of a treat.

Sorry we missed you in Deltaville...we were through there back on the 18th.

Currently in Wrightsville Beach, NC for a few days...then on to Myrtle for a few...you may catch up around Charleston/Savanna...maybe sooner as we are slowing down now that we are back in the land where things are actually open along the waterfronts!!!:thumb:

I'll be on the lookout.

Nothing I can recommend in the keys or the Biscayne area but if you make it to Biloxi I'll buy you a beer and a ribeye for having the biggest stones on the board. Happy lugging and enjoy the nice weather.

A bit bumpier today then advertised. 3'-4' Chesapeake chop on the beam. I'm glad I'm going solo these first few days. The female part of my crew wouldn't be happy. Thanks for the words guys!

3 to 4 ft bumps are nothing for the bay. Have a good and safe trip. Larry

A bit bumpier today then advertised. 3'-4' Chesapeake chop on the beam. I'm glad I'm going solo these first few days. The female part of my crew wouldn't be happy. Thanks for the words guys!
One bit of advice ,,tack into the waves:eek:

D
I am sure it is cold there today but keep and eye on the big picture....It is mid 80s here in s florida If you need anything when you get near hollywood, shout

It may get a bit more bumpier too just outside where you are located now.

Have a Safe trip.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-29 at 9.17.23 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-12-29 at 9.17.23 AM.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 258
Must be getting a little extra wind now and more chop hey? Stay safe!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-29 at 10.43.36 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-12-29 at 10.43.36 AM.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 296
Will you go through the Intercoastal then I'm guessing?

I'll fuel up in Norfolk $3.59 a gallon tonight. Tomorrow it's the Virginia cut to to Manteo where the crew will join me for New Years then it will be as much offshore as weather will permit. I will stop in Charleston and Saint Augustine. The Currituck and Albermarle tomorrow with it blowing 20+ kts might get really interesting:-(

Greetings,
Mr. Daddyo. Tomorrow morning the forecast is for NW winds clocking around to SW in the afternoon. Yes, it could get interesting on the sounds tomorrow. Take care and keep an eye open for the crab pots if, in fact, the season is still open.

I'll fuel up in Norfolk $3.59 a gallon tonight. Tomorrow it's the Virginia cut to to Manteo where the crew will join me for New Years then it will be as much offshore as weather will permit. I will stop in Charleston and Saint Augustine. The Currituck and Albermarle tomorrow with it blowing 20+ kts might get really interesting:-(

I wouldn't go Albemarle at 20 or more...spent the extra night in Coinjock.

Currituck was nasty the day before at steady 25G40...on the beam...a real table clearer several times where it widens....so for 30 minutes a pop or so, probably 3-4s steep enough it had us rolling 30 degrees and more sometimes.

When you get to the keys we are at Mangrove Marina in Tavernier. It is a very reasonable marina as far as south Florida goes and very clean and protected.

When will you be in the Neuse?

Tracking you online is the coolest thing ever. Safe travels.

Today's going to be fun :-(

Todays picture is the Virginia Cut on the ICW between Norfolk and the Currituck Sound "MM30" Mile Marker 30

Attachments

• IMAG2348.jpg
    IMAG2348.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 261
Coinjock tonight? I can taste the steaks now.

Nope, I'll be in Coinjock in a few hours. Going to punish myself and do the Albermarle as well today. Manteo tonight unless all else fails (30 kts)

Hmmm not looking good today for you, best wait for another day I think

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 8.40.52 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 8.40.52 AM.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 155
Even outside Pamilico Sound it looks better tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 8.47.07 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 8.47.07 AM.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 155
Nope, I'll be in Coinjock in a few hours. Going to punish myself and do the Albermarle as well today. Manteo tonight unless all else fails (30 kts)

Man! are you into self-flagellation? I did it one time with the wind over 30 out of the north. Never again. I would just have a 32 oz. steak at Coinjock, and take a break. You are one tough hombre.

Do you have stabilizers on your boat? They make beam seas better than head seas any day. Good luck.

nope, but that would be nice on a few days, maybe today.

Greetings,
Never had the steak at Coinjock BUT have tried their "Prime Rib" 3X....Yes that's three times. If that's prime rib, then the moon is made out of cheese! In a word, ALL 3X....HORRIBLE!!!!! Last time cost me $44 for a chunk of tough flesh that was 1/3 FAT. Not marbled, one third of the end of the cut was a glob of fat. NEVER again. The marina staff at Coinjock are fine. Good southern hospitality.

Staying inside as much as you can.. good on you

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 10.20.15 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-12-30 at 10.20.15 AM.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 150
It's the only route. Next is the Albermarle Sound. That is where it should be the most interesting. The Currituck is extremely shallow and can be hell if the wind is out of the west or east. Not bad today as it was NW so a following quarter sea.

That was a first. I just had a 60' sportfisher warn me on the radio that the sound he just left and I'm headed into had 6-7' steep chop. I hope he overestimated :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom