Epirb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Santa brought me an EPIRB. Question is where should I mount it? Cat I auto.
Thoughts?

Assuming you bought it new, didn't it come with suggestions on where to mount it?

If not, I would think near where you keep your PFDs, flares and such. Somewhere where you can grab it as you're getting off the boat in an emergency.

It has some suggestion. " outter hull but mindful of overhangs and cabin roofs.

I guess I am looking for opinion on higher on the boat near fly bridge or on the cabin exterior

One thought on lower would be to guarantee it will deploy if a capsize or broached situation.

Looking for what others have done.

On the commercial boats I operate the primary consideration is that the Cat I EPIRB be in a location where in case of sinking it can float free without becoming entangled with stuff around it. That's what the Coastie inspectors look for.

Agree with Cap't K. Some place where it can be grabbed on the run, if needed. Might want to also include in your passager safety brief who would be responsible to grab it. Remember things tend to move very fast during an emergency....

Thanks Capt K and Sea Duction

Exactly the info I was looking for. I'm think lower towards the water line on the way out if the Sundeck.

First things first... register it!

Mine is high, on the bridge where it won't have too many things to tangle with should it deploy automatically but mostly to keep thieves from grabbing it.

Frankly, I have kept ours loose....it is with our ditch bag...which is right where I need it.
I would prefer to deploy it after we are clear of the boat if its going down...so it can tell the satellite where we are, not where the boat sank....

I have been pondering this exact question. The admiral has her opinions also. Lots of good points about in the ditch bag option. However i am leaning towards the have it release automatically (the coasties make rules for the commercial guys for a reason). My reasoning is for a worst case scenario: cruising along at 8 kt at night, someone else at the helm, i am asleep below, semi submerged container rips the side of my boat open from stem to stern. I may be lucky to get out of the boat before it sinks in 1 to 5 minutes. If i forget the ditch in my stupor i am all alone with no EPIRB. i have quick release shackle on my dinghy for this very scenario. I am going to mount mine on the side of the fly bridge just above the side deck and below the canvas where it can be reached from deck if needed but will float free and is out of harms way. Mine will tell the satelite where i am and it has a strobe so i am going to go get it with my dinghy if i am able.

In a good place to float free (if it is that type) but out of sight/reach of dock walkers.

I have been pondering this exact question. The admiral has her opinions also. Lots of good points about in the ditch bag option. However i am leaning towards the have it release automatically (the coasties make rules for the commercial guys for a reason). My reasoning is for a worst case scenario: cruising along at 8 kt at night, someone else at the helm, i am asleep below, semi submerged container rips the side of my boat open from stem to stern. I may be lucky to get out of the boat before it sinks in 1 to 5 minutes. If i forget the ditch in my stupor i am all alone with no EPIRB. i have quick release shackle on my dinghy for this very scenario. I am going to mount mine on the side of the fly bridge just above the side deck and below the canvas where it can be reached from deck if needed but will float free and is out of harms way. Mine will tell the satelite where i am and it has a strobe so i am going to go get it with my dinghy if i am able.

Good points except the part I highlighted (many Coastie rulemakers have little rescue experience)...:eek:...plus most rules are made in haste after some public outcry about something or other...

If you are worried about dockwalkers...just mount it while underway...:facepalm:

Third Reef, I like that idea.

Mine is auto deployed at hydrostatic depth.

I plan on using PLB's on my life vests for individual accountability.

Will stow the EPIRB when in port.

Agree with Keith!

If your unit has the capability to accept coordinates from your GPS, I would very highly recommend you wire this in to your unit. What happens is your EPIRB will take a reading from your GPS X number of times a second. If it is activated the first thing it flashes out is the very last reading it got from the GPS, along with your vessel information. Then it starts to search for satellites, which can take up to 5 minutes. The USCG will have a fix on you based on the info the GPS gives the EPIRB.

Agree with Keith!

If your unit has the capability to accept coordinates from your GPS, I would very highly recommend you wire this in to your unit. What happens is your EPIRB will take a reading from your GPS X number of times a second. If it is activated the first thing it flashes out is the very last reading it got from the GPS, along with your vessel information. Then it starts to search for satellites, which can take up to 5 minutes. The USCG will have a fix on you based on the info the GPS gives the EPIRB.

If 5 minutes makes a difference in your rescue plans...you're cutting things a might close.

Survival is something that happens with a rough plan beforehand...

For coastal Noth American cruising even a NON-GPS EPIRB is just fine...again if you are worried about 5 minutes to 1/2 hour in your survival plans...you better rethink them because resuers don't always make the clock you are worried about.

In short...all the tech in the world may let you down when the chips fly...don't bet your life on seconds, minutes, or even a few hours....be prepared for the worst...at least 24hrs afloat before rescue.

Agree with Keith!

If your unit has the capability to accept coordinates from your GPS, I would very highly recommend you wire this in to your unit. What happens is your EPIRB will take a reading from your GPS X number of times a second. If it is activated the first thing it flashes out is the very last reading it got from the GPS...
The difference between the main 2 models of Epirb sold here is the more expensive version has its own built in GPS which on activation signals position, quite independent of any onboard GPS system.

Some with thei own GPS can also be hooked up as i described to get the position out there faster. Most EPIRBs will find not know the exact position until it is activated. Meaning it sends out the first message with only your boat information, not the position. However, if your unit is hooked up to your GPS, the first message will be with your boat information to include your position.

PSNEELD,

I respectivly disagree. I have been involved in many SAR and the extra time could mean the differance between living and drowning.

Until now I was unaware the EPIRB to onboard GPS connection even existed. It certainly exists between my GPS and VHF with DSC, the latter sounds an alarm if I turn off the GPS.

The 1 to 5 min i was refering to above was the time available before the boat went down, not how long it takes to get a EPIRB signal out. My unit does have the built in GPS and the ability to be connected to my onboard GPS so the the first signal could contain my current position. It would be ideal to have this connected however i do not see that happening in the near future for me. If when the poop hits the fan i and my crew end up in my dinghy with the EPIRB transmitting within 1 mile of me i will consider myself lucky. I if also have my ditch bag with handheld VHF and all the other goodies, well thats iceing on the cake. In my neck of the woods i would expect a rescue within 6 hours with a working EPIRB.

If when the poop hits the fan i and my crew end up in my dinghy with the EPIRB transmitting within 1 mile of me i will consider myself lucky. I if also have my ditch bag with handheld VHF and all the other goodies, well thats iceing on the cake. In my neck of the woods i would expect a rescue within 6 hours with a working EPIRB.
In that situation we all hope never happens, isn`t the best place for the EPIRB beside you in the dinghy or raft, not 1 mile away still with the boat or floating/drifting where it sank?

Securing my epirb is not as easy as removing it from the mounting bracket and hiding it on the boat. My McMurdo has a water deactivation magnet built into the mounting bracket (I think all McMurdo's do). I had my epirb activate while the boat was in Guatemala and I was in the states, received 2 calls from the Coast Guard and had to replace the battery. The problem was caused by storing the epirb while it was removed from it's mounting bracket, the device that activates the unit when it is submerged turned the unit on. I had stored it under a drawer, in a ziploc, in a dry location on the boat. I now remove the bracket to store/hide the epirb. Something to consider when choosing mounting locations.

Some with thei own GPS can also be hooked up as i described to get the position out there faster. Most EPIRBs will find not know the exact position until it is activated. Meaning it sends out the first message with only your boat information, not the position. However, if your unit is hooked up to your GPS, the first message will be with your boat information to include your position.

PSNEELD,

I respectivly disagree. I have been involved in many SAR and the extra time could mean the differance between living and drowning.
Go ahead and disagree .... as on scene commander or SAR coordinator for thousands of SAR cases....I know and you should too that the average GPIRB 99.9 percent of the time is sending position data long before the SAR unit even gets underway. There are lots of reasons there's confusion in the early stages of launch but I don't ever think it was because of the difference between the 2 types of GPIRBs.

The entire COSPAT/SARSAT system was made to work just fine without GPS even being in the equation..and the statistical number for SAR cases where those minutes REALLY count is miniscule.

More importantly..if you are betting your life on a few minutes...then your survival plan needs reworking...please don't make me list all the survival schools, safety at sea seminars I've attended or taught at....:D

Securing my epirb is not as easy as removing it from the mounting bracket and hiding it on the boat. My McMurdo has a water deactivation magnet built into the mounting bracket (I think all McMurdo's do). I had my epirb activate while the boat was in Guatemala and I was in the states, received 2 calls from the Coast Guard and had to replace the battery. The problem was caused by storing the epirb while it was removed from it's mounting bracket, the device that activates the unit when it is submerged turned the unit on. I had stored it under a drawer, in a ziploc, in a dry location on the boat. I now remove the bracket to store/hide the epirb. Something to consider when choosing mounting locations.

or how you mount it...good point...there are many false alarms because of just what you said or them falling out of the brackets on commercial vessels.

The British on one of their website go into a good discussion of how to package them for shipping/storing just so accidental starts don't initiate SAR proceedure. My personal favorite was locating a false alarm and following the FEDEX truck up the Atlantic City Expressway on evening...:D

Mounted. Put it on outside of fly bridge in Radar Arch. Can grab if needed and able to deploy auto if required without obstacle

mounted. Put it on outside of fly bridge in radar arch. Can grab if needed and able to deploy auto if required without obstacle

image-1712297157.jpg

Until now I was unaware the EPIRB to onboard GPS connection even existed. It certainly exists between my GPS and VHF with DSC, the latter sounds an alarm if I turn off the GPS.

Depends on the model too. LOL First time I turned off GPS, then a few minutes later the VHF started to squacking it scare the crap out me...

Not wishing to be a wet blanket Heron, but have you thought of the vulnerability to the weather - sun, wind, heat, cold etc, long term I mean - of course they are designed to be immersed....and also theft. I figure it is unlikely one would not have time to pluck the EPIRB from its bracket on the way to abandoning ship, but more likely one might well activate it and leave it in the holder as long as feasible, as unless actually sinking or on fire out of control, it is safest to stay with the vessel as long as possible. I therefore put mine right next to the pilot door, with activation diagrams/instructions now afixed beside it. (added since photo taken).

Attachments

• Image066.jpg
    Image066.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 76
Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. As you can see it has a cover to seal it from the elements. So I am not concerned about the elements. It is high enough up that thief would have to board my boat and enter the Sundeck and then the fly bridge all which are locked. Theft is not a large problem in my opinion because all EPIRBS are required to be registered by a unique UIN. If it is stolen I can check with NOAA regarding that UIN and they could assist in the recovery.

I chose this location because I primarily operate from the fly bridge and the EPIRB activation would be as a matter of course at my position on the flying bridge.

I also reason that if the vessel broaches and capsizes the location is deep enough that the hydrostatic release will pop it out and transmit.

I would be concerned with your location. If it is not grabbed by a crew member it won't have a clear Line of sight to transmit.

Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom