Oriental, NC City Dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
Anyone been there lately and/or familiar with the city dock in Oriental, NC?

May arrive there Christmas day for a quick overnighter.

Not sure from the literature which is the city dock.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Was there a couple of weeks ago - the city dock is a relatively small finger dock coming out from the seawall at the inner end of the harbor. Enter the harbor, closely parallel the breakwater and go all the way in, past the shrimp boats. It's right across the street from an espresso shop which has free wi-fi which I picked up on the boat (after going over & buying coffee). Easy walk to shops/restaurants.

dvd

I was there yesterday, but not in the boat. It's not always available, but the marina (Oriental Marina and Inn) will take you in if there isn't room. Remember there is a 48 hour limit to stay on the free dock. You can also just anchor behind the seawall and use the dinghy dock as a backup option. There is no power there. Don't expect much of anything to be open on Xmas day. Maybe a bar or two, but I would highly doubt the Provision Company or many of the nearby restaurants will be open.

If Bess and I find ourselves down there... and we might... we'll stop by and say hello. If you need a ride anywhere or need something brought to you, PLEASE let me know. We have quite a few friends there that we can call that will help you out.

Here is the webcam you can use to check the docks availability at the town's unofficial site:
HarborCam | TownDock.net | Oriental NC News, Weather, Photos

BTW... The Town Dock is the single pier in the middle of this camera shot. To the LEFT (mostly behind The Bean coffee shop) is the Inn. To the RIGHT and in the background, are the fish markets.

Last edited:
Here it is on Google Earth:

Attachments

• Oriental.jpg
    Oriental.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 156
Thanks everybody! Happy Holidays to all....

Thanks everybody! Happy Holidays to all....

I will be down to New Bern on the 26th and can come to Oriental on the 26th or 27th if needed. Only a 30 minute run from our boat by car.

You could bring the boat to New Bern for Christmas and dock at the face dock.

It would be great to meet up with you.

If you end up docking at the Oriental Marina and Inn...a nice place...be sure to dock bow in...when we were there...the water close to the seawall was not deep enough to accommodate a 4 foot draft.....so we bowed in.... The hardware store next door is great, the people there are really nice...a fellow working in the hardware store even loaned me his car to go to another store because theirs didn't have what I needed!!

I will be down to New Bern on the 26th and can come to Oriental on the 26th or 27th if needed. Only a 30 minute run from our boat by car.

You could bring the boat to New Bern for Christmas and dock at the face dock.

It would be great to meet up with you.

Thanks for the offer...a bit out of the way up to New Bern...trying to get warm as fast as possible...:D

If you end up docking at the Oriental Marina and Inn...a nice place...be sure to dock bow in...when we were there...the water close to the seawall was not deep enough to accommodate a 4 foot draft.....so we bowed in.... The hardware store next door is great, the people there are really nice...a fellow working in the hardware store even loaned me his car to go to another store because theirs didn't have what I needed!!

Super....sounds great but it may be a bit of a ghost town on Christmas day..;)

I hope he finds a spot! Town dock currently has no room at the inn.

Attachments

• xamstowndock.jpg
    xamstowndock.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 121
Looks like Tom has all kind of room though.

Tom owns Oriental Marina which is on your right as you come to the end of the channel. You can see it in the picture that Gonzo posted behind and to the left of the two sail boats at the city dock.

Oriental Marina (252) 249-1818

Just checked Harbour Cam and the two sail boats are still there but I don't see anybody at the Marina.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Is that Scott sitting at the Inn's marina?

Attachments

• xamstowndock.jpg
    xamstowndock.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 132
Merry Christmas to all in our little town. Here through New Year's Day and available to help with anyone passing through.

I love Oriental! I had my boat dry docked to sand and repaint the bottom a few years back....

Looks like he got underway at 8:45am. Holy crap! He's going to get his ass kicked out there this morning! 20k winds out of the east and cold (very cold) rain out there. Adams Creek will be easy, but Core Sound will be a bear when he gets there. Hope he stays in Morehead City. I wouldn't try and cross Bouge Sound with a strong east wind. But hey, that's just me. I'm a wuss like that.

Tom-

An East wind going down Bogue Sound should put the seas on his butt, and give a nice ride. Just stay inside the markers. It is very shallow on either side, but of course it is in New Jersey too.

Not on an ebbing tide it won't. ;-)

Moreover... A tornado WARNING is going on just a few miles from where he is.

Scott, please check-in when you get to where you are going today!!!

As we sit here in Cary NC infront of a nice roaring fire, with tornado warnings downeast, I sure hope Scott stopped in Morehead City and is having a nice beverage over at Floyds, or down at the Ruddy Duck.

Safe Travels Scott.

Man you guys are as bad as the guy at Portside Marina in Morehead City worried about me...;)

I was checking the Radar pic on the internet constantly and as a former USCG pilot used to flying in this kind of weather.... I explained to my crew...better to be underway and sidestep a tornado than be in a marina and have it lift you out of the water....:D and drop you who knows where Toto...

Thanks...just a bit rolly going across the Neus...eveything else a piece of cake except that pesky pin hole leak in the number 3 cylinder injector feed pipe...that's where that cup of fuel the last 2 days came from...:eek: Once I got a wrap on it to keep atomized fuel out of the engine area...the rest of the 1.5 hr run to Morehead was a piece of cake...except for the concerned marina guys...

Tied up at Morehead City Yacht Basin around Noon.

Fortunately I have a spare set of injector pipes so the engines fixed and ready for tomorrow already...:thumb:

Thanks everyone....talk later...

Great to hear!

Tell Mike and Dwayne hello from Skinny Dippin'. We've been enough of a pain in his ass for him to clearly remember us. ;-)

Tom-

Great News!! Go over to Floyd's and get some flashfried Buffalo Bleu Cheese Oysters!! YUMMY!

Talk about big brother.... Nice to know there are folks that care.....

Just tending the flock. :thumb:

Your not looking for one to slaughter for New Years dinner are you.. That's one of the flock tenders jobs you know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom