door lock mechanism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Koliver, any chance for some pictures of the lock and or search you memory for names? Sounds just like the lock I'm looking for.
Andy, Thanks for the pictures, I like them and they give me some idea as to what I want to do. By the way, were do the stays for your mast fasten to. Mine anchor right in the middle of the fly bridge and are in the way all the time.

Merit Metal Sliding Door Lock
1856.jpg

#1856A-RH or 1856A-LH

Sunvale: The one Mike suggests looks identical to the originals on my boat. The trouble I had with one of them was rusting, so it wouldn't release. The replacement I found is all brass inside, so safe from any rust issues.

Sorry, I won't be back to take a picture for a while. I will watch this space, and when I get to my boat next, if you haven't found one, I'll get you a picture and maybe a source.

Koliver, thanks for the info. A number of sources have been pictured on the site. After checking some of them out, I find that on the respective web sites it's difficult to determine size and mechanical properties of the various locks. Hate to spend couple hundred dollars on a lock that won't work. So I like to be sure what I'm getting.

Sunvale, how is your search for a door lock going?
Koliver, I sent you a message.
We have a 1977 CHB with a very tired sliding helm door.
The mortice lock is steel and has never worked while we owned the boat...and don't have the skeleton key anyway!
I have searched locally and on the internet for weeks but most are far too large.
The door stile is only 1 1/4" x 2 3/8" (32 x 59mm) and most locks either have cases beyond 60mm and have handles (cannot use as door bypasses opening.
I am at a loss.
I am prepared to make a new door stile to accommodate a different lock, but cannot be too large.

Here is a drawing of my existing lock set-up...

Attachments

• door lock.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 52
Here is a drawing of my existing lock set-up...

Without being at the boat to verify, my guess is that your drawing is exactly what my replacement looks like.

Here is the door with lock out...

Attachments

• 20220122_145714.jpg
    20220122_145714.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 17
Door lock

Here is the door with lock out...

Hi Scottwb96,
Sorry for the blurry photo.
I'm thinking I have next to no options for this...
This is a sliding door. It looks similar to BruceK 's post #9 except that I don't think it is a hook lock (it is rusted shut, so have never engaged). Have you seen my drawing in post #37?
I am guessing it is a "lever claw bolt sliding door mortice lock" as it looks very much like these...attached... but it (and everything else I have found) are far too big. My door stile is 59mm wide, and this is 78mm.

-I cannot have handles or knobs as the door passes by the door opening/cabinside.
-Should be Stainless steel or brass.
-I am willing to rebuild door so can be a hook lock or this claw bolt style
-case size no more than 55mm

I just don't think there is such a thing...but there have been thousands of these Taiwanese trawlers built with similar sliding doors! What does one do?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...mm-backset-satin-stainless-steel-640403#specs

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Imperial-G5006-5-Lever-Clawbolt-Dead-Lock-Sliding-Doors.html

You may want to contact Merit Metal Works. They used to produce sliding door locks like the drawing. Unfortunately I couldn’t find them on their current website. Following are the part numbers from post 33 in this thread.
Merit Metal Sliding Door Lock
#1856A-RH or 1856A-LH

I found these also. Looks a lot closer to what you have. Unfortunately, doesn't appear to all the dimensions listed (weird)... But for the cost, may worth taking a shot (lol, or just call them and ask)...

https://mbausa.com/hook-bolt-lock-p...chlage-c-keyway-1-clear-zinc-aluminum-finish/

Maybe able to retrofit this one.

https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/s...kARExpxchkwnD7wgCIMy8YifwI6KrEHRoC8o0QAvD_BwE

https://doorandwindowparts.com/prod...3&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

https://bigamart.com/product/kotarb...D0T8N89n5o5ZiUEXWRHRfxnkyRlC1-Zhj06HpkHFJIkeA

Hopcar, I have checked out Merit but couldn't find that one. I have just inquired about that one specifically.

Scottwb96, thanks for searching these. the sturdy ss one is too big, the others sound like they're plated steel not SS. Would these stand up to boat usage? Am I worrying too much about the corrosion issue of steel?

Hard to tell how long any of them would "last". Not sure which one you were referring to that was "too big". But the KOTARBAU® H-50 option is galvanized. Looks like 2 others are aluminum.
You could look at it this way... How long do you plan/think you may have the boat? With that in mind, with a little extra "care" any of these locks should last at least 3+ years. So if you find one that works well, maybe just buy 2-3. Cost-wise they aren't that bad. I remember sourcing some for my doors and they STARTED at about $180 each. I have 3 locking exterior doors and I wanted them all to match as well... :(

BCK, My 1979 Marine Trader has the exact same sliding door clawbolt mortised lock set as installed on your yacht. Although a bit dark your picture showed the mortise lock just fine. However on my door hardware both the keys and the locks have the word “SHARK” stamped on them. Did you arrive at a solution or still on the hunt?

I went with this one made in Turkey.
Not what I was after, but couldn't find a better solution.
I bought two so if one gets too rusty, I'll swap out and soak in oil!
So, had to buy ($$$) a length of Teak and make a new door stile. I machined the mortices for the door cross members and lock, and the dado for the lower door panels. Now to rebuild the window surround and all the quarter round stops.

Attachments

• Screenshot (230).jpg
    Screenshot (230).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220329_125614.jpg
    20220329_125614.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220329_125645.jpg
    20220329_125645.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back