Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #157
SomeSailor
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
To not want to deal with a buyer expressing that sentiment is fine....I wouldn't want to deal with a seller that wouldn't.
Again... to each his own. I've just watched people who look at a boat, make an offer and get as far as a survey and think "I'll knock $20K off for this, $5K off for that... and I want this replaced and that repaired before we release payment"

I'd say... "have a great time looking for your next boat"

Just as some of you are complaining about ABYC requirements. The requirements and standards are not the problem. These are old boats. They were not built with those in mind.

If you are looking at a 2008 Grand Banks or Ocean Alexander... it'd better damned sure be aligned with those requirements. It was built to them, and anything that is outside those is unacceptable. If you're looking at a 1980 trawler... you'd better understand that they were built with much less stringent tolerances and requirements. They didn't exist back then and I would LAUGH at the first prospective buyer who expected me to step up to those. BUT... they still exist, and are good recommendations.

The propane locker is a good example. Mine are in the flybridge helm. They are vented, but there are penetrations that needed to be sealed inside that vented into the saloon below. Also, the vent is directly above the door on the port side. If left open, you could discharge leaking propane into the cabin. Both easy fixes and good recommendations. I have since installed a propane leak detector up there as well. It complements the one in the bilge well.