superior features of a wood vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes Floyd we do like our Willard and I agree about the berth .. but it's only a 30' boat. And I'd love another 4 sq ft of space in the cabin to put a floor mounted heating stove like a Dickenson Arctic. But our Wabasto works well. I'd like to turn the aft settee into a small dinette but that's the only sizable change we have planned. I actually like the wire "railing" as it works well and minimizes the clutter over the bow. I'd like to modify the bow to mount an anchor like this ........

Attachments

• DSCF0758 copy.JPG
    DSCF0758 copy.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 82
Yes Floyd we do like our Willard and I agree about the berth .. but it's only a 30' boat. And I'd love another 4 sq ft of space in the cabin to put a floor mounted heating stove like a Dickenson Arctic. But our Wabasto works well. I'd like to turn the aft settee into a small dinette but that's the only sizable change we have planned. I actually like the wire "railing" as it works well and minimizes the clutter over the bow. I'd like to modify the bow to mount an anchor like this ........
Dickenson Artic? will have to9 check them out. I would be afraid of gouging my bow with an anchor mounted like in the pix. I understand wanting to keep it low and unobstrusive to the pilot house veiw. I had a sunrunner once that had a paddlefish like bow designed for the anchor and it not only blocked the veiw but changed the boats handling charactoristics at high speed like a rudder.

I'm a tad bit worried about the structure as I plan to cut a V shaped knotch in the raised deck instead of the hole seen in this pic and eliminate the bronze bow chock you see. But it would probably be better for resale value and bow strength if I did it like in this photo. I could insert a SS breast hook over the top of the caprails too. I think Willard should have built the boat this way but in the early 70s most boaters were probably using Danforths. I think the Claw was a brand new thing then.

After repairing a 26 foot Shamrock where the entire foredeck was ripped off...and looking at the picture...my guess is there is very little strength imparted by the sides above the main deck.

Well seeing as we are showing what the view from our steering stations are here's mine. As you can see there is a lot of open space and unobstructed view to see any hazards, especially the sea floor atm. Good things shes on land ay! bwahahahahahahahaha

Attachments

• image-113011481.jpg
    image-113011481.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Well seeing as we are showing what the view from our steering stations are here's mine. As you can see there is a lot of open space and unobstructed view to see any hazards, especially the sea floor atm. Good things shes on land ay! bwahahahahahahahaha

get a few rolls of clear plastic for sheathing and she may float fine and still give unobstructed veiws.:)

Hahaha oh now ya tell me after I spent copious amounts on ply! :-D

I would love to see her when she is ready for the waves with either type of sheathing. How big will she be and how many engines? Will she have an owners cabin and crew quarters? What kind of a dinghy will she carry?

I would love to see her when she is ready for the waves with either type of sheathing. How big will she be and how many engines? Will she have an owners cabin and crew quarters? What kind of a dinghy will she carry?

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/gday-perth-western-australia-7653-3.html#post121236

G'day bfloyd,
Yeah can't wait myself mate. She'll be a beauty. I've got a thread on here and post up pics etc so if you're into that kinda thing have a look. I welcome advice and tips as this is the first boat I have ever attempted to strip down to nothing and rebuild it.

Basically the boat will be 11mtrs long and 3mtrs wide. It will have epoxy encapsulated 18mm ply. (1.5ltrs per side = 3ltrs per sheet x 40 sheets = 120 ltrs of 100% solids expoy) she will be powered by a Perkins 6.354 diesel (currently being rebuilt also). She will have a stateroom on the bow with a queen bed. She will have a separate toilet and separate shower. She will have hot and cold fresh water, a kitchen, meals/dining area and a large deck at the rear etc etc etc. tender will probably just be a hard bottom inflatable zodiac type. Bit a ways away from that yet :)

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom