View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #156
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I agree with you, Psneeld. Once your boat is drifting in a body of water, it moves with that body of water just as an airplane or a feather moves with the air mass. If the water moves north, you move north. Your thrust might overcome that influence and move you in another direction or faster toward the north, but your base reference is the same as what that body of water is doing.

The shape of your hull or the mass of your vessel has no effect except in the time it takes to react to the changes in water movement. If you have a slick hull or a very high mass vessel, it might not react as quickly to changes in current like a high drag hull or a light weight boat. But in a boat, I suspect we're talking mere seconds to react, not an effect on your cruise that would last over a long period of time.

Similarly, large aircraft are more susceptible to wind shear because the inertia of the aircraft slows its reaction to sudden and significant changes to velocity and direction of the air mass. Small aircraft with less inertia respond quicker to the changing wind direction and suffer less impact from wind shear. But like boats in water, small aircraft of all shapes and large aircraft of all shapes are equally impacted by the wind once the craft achieves stability within the air mass.

I probably didn't do a very good job of explaining that, so please ask away if you have questions and I will attempt clarify the concept further.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote