What's in a name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boomarang was the boat's name when I purchased it. It is a variation on the normal spelling of boomerang. I didn't care much for it.

The PO told me he wasn't too happy with the name either until he found out it was named Boomarang because "it always comes back." When he heard that, he decided not to change it.

Not wanting to tempt fate, or Neptune, I began to appreciate the odd name too.

Besides, explaining it makes for interesting conversation on the docks.:cool:

Howdy Larry, good to see you putting that boat to good use. I have many fond memories cruising with Boomarang!!!

Ours was easy... She's old, rough around the edges, but paid for and tough as nails...

We have this logo across the front of our boat.

Last edited:
Ours was easy... She's old, rough around the edges, but paid for and tough as nails...

We have this logo across the front of our boat.
I heard the Honey Badger is feared for its liking of 2 parts of human male genitalia.

Willy

As we looked at boats we gave them nick names so we could talk about them and identify them. Willy was derived from "Willard" and Willy just stuck. Never got around to changing it and the Previous owner had'nt named her. Also the previous names to the PO were terrible. I won't mention them for fear that someone here will have a boat by one of those names.

I started this thread long ago.

Thanks to all who participated.

It has been fun to learn all the names and renames for out beloved boats.
Each as unique as the trawlerfolk who named them.

Here is to all our boats.

Fair winds and safe harbor to all.

sd

I started this thread long ago.

Thanks to all who participated.

It has been fun to learn all the names and renames for out beloved boats.
Each as unique as the trawlerfolk who named them.

Here is to all our boats.

Fair winds and safe harbor to all.

sd

HS, JD - 06/02/2010 was a while ago! THANKS! :thumb: - Art :popcorn:

Attachments

• The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 56
Our converted lifeboat/fishing vessel was rebuilt to her present configuration by a builder in North Wales, UK. She was numbered CO 89 to fish from Caernarfon, North Wales, UK . . . she was even blessed by the local Vicar.

Her name "Seren y Mor" is Welsh, the best literal translation into English is . . . "Star of the Sea".

Our converted lifeboat/fishing vessel was rebuilt to her present configuration by a builder in North Wales, UK. She was numbered CO 89 to fish from Caernarfon, North Wales, UK . . . she was even blessed by the local Vicar.

Her name "Seren y Mor" is Welsh, the best literal translation into English is . . . "Star of the Sea".

I love your use of the term "bespoke" for the model. That is not so common a term in the US and to me it seems a very genteel way of saying "custom." I like the name as well (not that I don't like anyone else's boat name!!!! ;)). Welcome aboard.

Thank you both . . .

"Star" evolved out of a beached steel hulled ex-lifeboat which was stripped out, extended and completed in the fashion of a Scottish Loch seine fisher during the late 1960's to early 1970's. She then fished commercially for about ten years before entering the private owner chain, being a holiday boat on the Scottish Lochs and a river cruiser on the Severn Estuary.

Previous owners have kept records and a photo album so we know surprising a lot about her past.

She's just coming to the end of a huge, expensive too, repair/replacement to her steel hull . . . lifeboats are expendable so her plates were only ever 3mm thick when new.

She's an absolute, total one off and Jane, my partner, and I love her to bits. I'll get some pix of her put up soon.

Seasons Greetings to One and All . . . :noel:

Sesons greetings to you too Seren y Mor! :flowers:

You and Jane sound like fun couple with your toes sorta in the water at all times. :thumb:

Welcome Aboard TF!! :dance: - Art :D

She's an absolute, total one off and Jane, my partner, and I love her to bits. I'll get some pix of her put up soon.

Seasons Greetings to One and All . . . :noel:

A true trawler for Trawler Forum!:thumb: Welcome aboard, indeed. I can't wait for pictures.

A very Merry Christmas to you and all in the UK.

Finally got around to changing the name: "Slow Hand"

Nice, I like it.

My first boat was a 12 foot kayak. She was a sweet little thing, and bright orange. I named her Clementine.

There's no real interesting story to Wayfarer. I thought it had a nice ring to it, and it had a travelling, wandering kind of feel to it. She was originally named Classy Lady 2, which I only recently noticed is still slightly visible on the transom. She had no name when I bought her. In hindsight, I should have called her 'Lemonade' in keeping with my citrusy theme, and also because the boat was a bit of a lemon that I'm trying to make good... haha

She does have another name, which I can't post here, and am not terribly proud of. It's pretty vulgar, but the thought of it written in fancy script on a life ring really makes me laugh. Rhymes with 'Sea Runt.' Sorry.... hahaha

Last edited:
Ours started out as Badger, the second owner kept it, and so did we. Small, scrappy, tougher than it looks :thumb:

What kind of party boat are you running there, Ted? Maybe you should have named it, "Hello Darlin'".:D

What kind of party boat are you running there, Ted? Maybe you should have named it, "Hello Darlin'".:D

Knew it was a mistake to post the new name without explaining the symbolism. Don, just didn't think at your extremely advanced age, you would be focusing on the sexual innuendos.

The Symbolism:

The boat is "Slow Hand". So the characteristics the singer opines for, refer to the boat.

"Darlin' don't say a word, 'cause I already heard What your body's sayin' to mine"
That special feeling when you know it's the boat for you.

"I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, On my mind"
The gentle soothing cruise only found at displacement speed.

"I want a lover with an easy touch"
A boat that's pure pleasure to pilot.

"I want somebody who will spend some time Not come and go in a heated rush"
All about extended leisurely cruise not the frantic weekend race.

Don, hope this helps. Probably pointless though as your not happy till 99% of the hull is air born and the drinks are vibrating off the table. :rolleyes:

Ted

Knew it was a mistake to post the new name without explaining the symbolism. Don, just didn't think at your extremely advanced age, you would be focusing on the sexual innuendos.

Ted

Hell, Ted, that's all I focus on!

Just funnin' you, but I still think HELLO DARLIN would have been a good name.:D

Somebody in another thread today said sail boaters had classier more original names.
I don't know about that...
I went down to have a look and there are dozens with the same name.
Victoria BC

Ours was originally named "Amygdala" the previous owner was a Doctor. If you look up the meaning you'll understand a bit more. Didn't suit us at all, so after many cocktails we came up with something that not only reflects us a little better, but where we hail from. We've already been referred to as a couple of "Dicey" characters. Hope they ment that in a good way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 52
There's sometimes way-more wrapped up in a name than meets the eye! :D

Attachments

• The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 55
  • TO_Arrow Thru Heart_100_1657.jpg
    TO_Arrow Thru Heart_100_1657.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 48
Ours was originally named "Amygdala" the previous owner was a Doctor. If you look up the meaning you'll understand a bit more. Didn't suit us at all, so after many cocktails we came up with something that not only reflects us a little better, but where we hail from. We've already been referred to as a couple of "Dicey" characters. Hope they ment that in a good way.
You in Sidney last month?

You in Sidney last month?

Nope, we won't be back up until after March/April of next year. But plan on cruising the inside up to almost Alaska. Hope to be out for 7-8 months if all goes well. Must be another boat up there that has the same name, several others have asked. Hope it's not another Selene.

Somebody in another thread today said sail boaters had classier more original names.
I don't know about that...
I went down to have a look and there are dozens with the same name.
Victoria BC

Seems like Victoria got around quite a bit.;)

Nope, we won't be back up until after March/April of next year. But plan on cruising the inside up to almost Alaska. Hope to be out for 7-8 months if all goes well. Must be another boat up there that has the same name, several others have asked. Hope it's not another Selene.
Don't recall what it was but pretty sure it wasn't a Selene. Same spelling, just no dice or doily.

Not sure if starting a radio dialog with a 250 pound coonass tug boat captain with "Hello darling" is a wise thing.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom