View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
Scraping Paint
City: -
RE: How much power is enough?

nomadwilly wrote:

Marin seems to think engines wear out in proportion to thier engine speed .. as though an engine is destined to turn over x number of times in it's life.
They do. In fact, I had the chief engineer of one of England's premier engine manufacturers tell me this in almost exactly the same words--- an engine, any engine, is designed for a finite life, he said. It's designed to go around and around so many times and then all bets are off.

It's a no-brainer to realize this. Every engine designer, manufacturing engineer, and professional engine service or overhaul mechanic I have ever talked to about this over the last 40 years (Ford of England, Northern Lights, Land Rover/Range Rover, Fairbanks Morse, EMD, GE, Pratt & Whitney, and Rolls Royce to name some of the ones I still remember) has told me the same thing---- the harder you run them the faster they wear out. Reciprocating, turbine, petrol, diesel, Jet-A, same answer every time.

Obviously there are lots of other ways you can prematurely wear out an engine, but running it hard is a 100 percent foolproof way to hasten the day it wears out. This isn't to say an engine should never be run hard. But even airlines look for ways to use less power on takeoff (safety permitting) which reduces engine wear which reduces maintenance and overhaul costs. If I listed all the airline maintenance directors who have told me this over the last ten years of visiting airlines all over the world this post would be two pages long.

Saying a turbine will wear out in fewer hours than a Ford Lehman because the turbine is running at tens of thousands of rpm where the FL120 is only running at 1600 rpm is stupid because this is comparing apples and oranges. But running the FL120 hard at 2,000-plus rpm all the time will wear it out faster than running the same engine at 1600 rpm all the time (assuming correct combustion temperatures, oil condition, properly functioning cooling system, etc). This is so basic I find it hard that anyone with any engine experience at all doesn't understand this.

-- Edited by Marin at 00:18, 2008-12-01
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote