CO Detectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

I need some advice on CO detectors. I have a diesel powered 45' Northwest Trawler with a diesel generator and a propane gas stove. I do believe I should have a CO detector on board. Should I have one in each closed compartment where people are? Or is one sufficient in the galley & salon? Do they have to be hooked up to the vessels DC system? or can they have self contained batteries? Thanks for your help.

My last insurance company self-survey determined that I needed to add a CO detector on my 47 pilothouse Selene. Personally, I did not think it was really necessary but did it to comply.
I installed a detector at the lower level nearer to the sleeping quarters. I do not think that diesel engines generate CO in the same manner as gas engines, but regardless we do not run the engines or generator while asleep. Neither do we use the propane stove, for which incidentally there is also a gas detector that is always ON. If you feel inclined to add a CO detector, I would find a central area near to your sleeping quarters and install there.

but regardless we do not run the engines or generator while asleep. Neither do we use the propane stove, for which incidentally there is also a gas detector that is always ON.

The units protect you from the guy next door as well as your own boat.

The units on my boat (two) are run on the boats 12V system with a 9V battery back up. They are hard wired to the 12V side but they do have a breaker that is not a throw type but a push to off type. The breakers are out of the way and on the bottom of the main panel.. There is no way for them to be shut off accidentally.

There is one in the main salon and one in my forward berth. The main panel has three of the push to off breakers as I believe this same panel is used in a boat with two sleeping compartments as well.

CO detectors can occasionally go bad after about ten years too. I had one on the boat prior to my present one which started to chirp and a battery change did not solve the problem. It was an easy job to replace the unit by cutting two wires and crimping on the new unit. I have to thank my marine store manager for tipping me off that they sometimes go bad for no apparent reason and with no visible signs of corrosion. If a unit should happen to go on you, the good news is that replacement units are readily available. I think it was about sixty bucks if I remember correctly.

I agree that even though my diesel main and genset don't produce CO, my detectors protect us from the neighbors who use gas. Mine run on internal batteries.

Dave

Insurance companies require they are marine, not dirt. We have three, one just out side of the engine room door in the hall and two in the master stateroom, one high and one low as CO mixes with air. Most thinks it heavier but is a little lighter. I agree it can also keep you save from other boats. We were moored next to another boat and their diesel furnace kicked on, in the middle of the night which blew right into our open bathroom port. So its not just for your boat but for others as well. :)

Who provides the "marine" certification for a CO detector?

I agree that even though my diesel main and genset don't produce CO, my detectors protect us from the neighbors who use gas. Mine run on internal batteries.

Dave

CO is a byproduct of fossil fuel combustion - even diesel. Just the amount of CO produced is lower than from some other fuels. A leaking flue or heat exchanger from any furnace is also a potential source.

Better being safe than
2206_mourning_over_dead_friend.gif

Greetings,
What difference, other than price, is there between a "marine" unit and a dirt unit?

They are set lower level and time weight average. Yes they cost more. Anyway, he did not like the CO alarm we had. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom