View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #61
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
So Marin and Jeff I see you didn't get the message about thread creep. Why don't you start another thread???

It's obvious to me it's a wash even though it dosn't seem like it much of the time. OK I"LL start the thread.

Re this thread topic AusCan is coming close to reality. It's an emotional thing. We buy the whole trawler as an emotional package. We run our big engines at slow speed w a special noise and that noise says "big guns". That's why they call Harley's "thunder bikes" and ride them instead of real motorcycles that are far superior because they don't sound or/and look as "heavy duty".

At one time there was the same battle going on w outboards and inboards. The inboards sounded heavy duty like Harleys and the outboards sounded like bumble bees or model airplanes but in this case common sense eventually won out. People started using their brains and mostly went to outboards and then w the new demand OB manufacturers built bigger and bigger engines until it seems they may have gone too far.

I tend to almost look for things to think about at times and started wondering why trawler owners and manufacturers were always choosing diesels when it seemed to me that other than the safety issue gas was actually better. And I figured you guys could point the way to my errors in thought. Maybe the trawler movement has a lot in common with the Harley movement.

Maybe Marin is more right than we give him credit for and "toy" is very applicable indeed. We have the latitude to think w our butt when buying toys but buying a serious thing we tend to engage a more serious part of our brain and get the right, serious and best thing. But it looks like the Harley thing is here for awhile and I'll bet trawlers will have oversized diesel engines for some time to come. Sturgis is not a gathering of engineers w plastic pocket protectors to marvel at the engineering and high tech of the Harley MC. It is however a cesspool of visual and audible emotion that screams of heavy duty.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote