View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #130
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Well unless i am completely out to lunch then dropping the hook would possibly save the day cause the boat then would be forced in the direction of main flow. :
You are completely out to lunch. As I said, what will work in one situation will not work in another. You have no idea of this particular pass, of this boat, or of the conditions that were being faced. The "main current" in this case is not the theoretical, nice Chapman's illustration of a current in a channel. The main current in this case sweeps thing into rocks and up against the base of the cliffs. The owner used his powerful Boston Whaler in an attempt to do exactly what you describe but the current was carrying both vessels toward the rocks and the cliff.

You can Monday morning quarterback this all you like with your imagined "what i would do" ideas but the reality is you have no clue what you would do because you're not faced with the same situation in the same place under the same conditions as this particular very experienced Inside Passage boater was.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote